Favorite piece of hardware and why?

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm totally software based, and wouldn't mind getting into hardware but I don't see it as necessary as such, so I was just wondering, what is the one piece of hardware you couldn't do without, and why?

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'd have to say an MPD/ MPC.. You said hardware, So i'd say MPC2000/25000. But, My MPD does EVERYTHING an MPC does, plus more, for 1/10th of the price. And since i got it, i stepped my game up atleast %50.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
its stuff you dont measure, also if you havent used or worked with a mpc to fullest possibilties its hard to judge what you're missing out on. Its not a machine you buy and say; this is how I'll gonna make beats... It always integrates in the bigger perspective and also the purpose why they made the mpc or else they would've left out the midi ports. If you understand the machine then you know you can go any way, I can think of numerous different setups with h/w or s/w and they're all dope.

Second, dont think all the dope beats where made by an mpc only even if its in the credits of the artist.

The mpd....its a midicontroller, the mpc isnt, a mpd with fl ( or whatever software ) on it is not equivalent to a mpc. not saying there's magic involved but there's just more to it then a sampler, its more of a workethic, tool or your main sequencer.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
z0n3d0u7 said:
I'd have to say an MPD/ MPC.. You said hardware, So i'd say MPC2000/25000. But, My MPD does EVERYTHING an MPC does, plus more, for 1/10th of the price. And since i got it, i stepped my game up atleast %50.

not to down the MPD but nahh buddy, the mpc is more then just some pads, its the sequncer that makes it stand out, the the MPD dosent offer that , its just a controller

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's a tough one... I'm 100% software nowadays, but when I was running hardware, it would have been a toss up between my Sequential Multi-Trak keyboard, or my Roland R8mkII drum machine. They were the foundation of every piece of music I did back in those days. In fact, I've done a number of tracks with just those two pieces and fx.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
lol notice how the second post said BESIDES THE MPC and almost everyone named the mpc..

anyway iono a keyboard definately. justa simple midi controller/keyboard so u can control sounds from rack mount synths

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
my EMU PK-6 keyboard. I have had so many but i have stuck with this one for the longest and i aint neva lettin it go. And we all know the MPC i mean once u get one it becomes your center piece.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
the RS7000 is THE piece i cant live without!!! why? check out my beats from the sample flippin threads and ull see. the knobs on the RS lets u tear a sample to pieces, plus it has its own internal sounds so i can make a complete song without ever touchin another instrument. plus the sequencer is ridiculous! hard to master, yet, once u learn, u'll understand the concept and wonder why noone else is usin it... with all the MPCers in the world, im glad to be one of few in HIP HOP, that uses one.

da relic

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sanova said:
lol notice how the second post said BESIDES THE MPC and almost everyone named the mpc..

anyway iono a keyboard definately. justa simple midi controller/keyboard so u can control sounds from rack mount synths

Nova's on point as always lol

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so do I get one?

So the question is, should I invest in a keyboard with a midi controller

( At mo I have software + a kiddies midi keyboard)

.... OR an MPC (how much should I pay for an MPC?)

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Holly Scott said:
So the question is, should I invest in a keyboard with a midi controller

( At mo I have software + a kiddies midi keyboard)

.... OR an MPC (how much should I pay for an MPC?)

find out how ur comfortable makin music. u might go thru a few pieces b4 u know how excactly u want to operate. try not to waste money on equipment u dont want to use.

da relic

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I cant choose....thoug I like the dirt coming out the s700 so far but also from the S750...The hammond and leslies kick ass,some of the other organs too, the fender is just the instant medley generator. I like my 6 voice dco's ( Polysix, 106, dw6000 ) but also my monosynths ( atc, f100, prodigy ). The virus just blends in the mix by itself...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
def the mpc .. but since its beside the mpc probably the emu pk-6 ... i luv that keyboard .. so simple to program ... and the sounds are ol skool but they always find a place in the mix .. i luv the motif too .. but its just not as quick as the pk-6

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
how are you recording to your computer?

i would recommend a roland VM-3100 pro digital mixer. I have to buy a second one in case anything happens to my current one, this is the center of my musical being lol. it is a digital mixer that acts as my soundcard, connected by an R-bus connection to a pci card on your computer, so you can record 8 inputs simultaneously and play back simultaneously and control midi through it. Kind of an all in one solution, it worked perfect when i had my mpc and the 8-outs. Has onboard effects and compression and eq, but i'd recommend hardware units for that if your into tweaking things.