Feeel what you're doing

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
There's so much in here aligned with what I think feel and do,and anyone who's had a conversation with / advice from me will hear stuff echo with what I been saying.

There's also other discussions I've seen on ill where this covers certain points. Timbaland is one of the people coming out saying a lot of stuff that mirrors stuff I been feeling thinking doing and often doubting, so it's great to hear it from someone in his position. Wish I had never doubted, and pleased I continued following myself where I did.

To those of you open to receiving those words, but not from me, take it from this guy...

Topics: feel, quantize, minimalism, experiment, mix

Last edited:
There's so much in here aligned with what I think feel and do,and anyone who's had a conversation with / advice from me will hear stuff echo with what I been saying.

There's also other discussions I've seen on ill where this covers certain points. Timbaland is one of the people coming out saying a lot of stuff that mirrors stuff I been feeling thinking doing and often doubting, so it's great to hear it from someone in his position. Wish I had never doubted, and pleased I continued following myself where I did.

To those of you open to receiving those words, but not from me, take it from this guy...

Topics: feel, quantize, minimalism, experiment, mix

this interesting asf but thing is, I feel like half of what this mf does is off. like yea, obviously he has a lot of things to teach and he got some hits and some HITS and his own style n shit but, I can't trust his mindset too much because Even when I hear his hit songs, I feel like they're too empty :D I mean other people fuck with it and even I fuck with it, but I get bored of it easy. like dirt off ur shoulder or his track with missy elliot. it's a banger but I always skip before verse 3. I ain't gon listen to fuckin "dundududududun" looped for 4 whole ass minutes without even a functioning hook. and verse 3 sucks anyway.
Besides, my favorite songs from him go against what he says right there. have ya heard timberlake's mirrors?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
he got some hits and some HITS and his own style n shit but, I can't trust his mindset too much because Even when I hear his hit songs

In that one sentence of your doubt referred to the fact that these tracks be hits 3 times.

These tracks are minimal, but got much feel and slap. I'd argue that it's harder to have that feel in busy tracks, but it's harder to make a minimal track work because you have to impart that magical quality that is "feel".

If you look the type of music/records that are big on feel, you'll be looking at funk, disco, etc. These records are often very minimal. But it's the feel that really makes them rock. Don't compare to them bangers tho.

Same for Pharrell too. Them minimalist beats absolutely slapped.

Yeah I enjoyed that album he did with Justin. Very different. Still a lot of feel stuff in there.

In that one sentence of your doubt referred to the fact that these tracks be hits 3 times.
yes ofc, minimalist is the closest to "just perfect", u can listen to queen, billie eilish, MJ or even dre to get a sight of that, and ofc that's the closest to the formula for a hit song, no doubt in that, but I just always felt like his tracks could be more tasteful. elizondo for example, completes track with the smallest stuff, but still his shit is flavorful all over the song.

in other words, I'm just sayin I respect his shit and all the plays it gets, but I'm pretty sure you'll get fucking slaughtered on any round on any warzone with this beat:

He got good shit, but MAYBE his good shit could be much more well-produced. I am a believer in being persuasive and on point (and I'm not gonna deny that I lowkey do enjoy overly crowded songs when made properly), but I've always only liked his shit when he didn't apply this idea to it.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Speaking of minimal I've always loved

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
yes ofc, minimalist is the closest to "just perfect", u can listen to queen, billie eilish, MJ or even dre to get a sight of that, and ofc that's the closest to the formula for a hit song, no doubt in that, but I just always felt like his tracks could be more tasteful. elizondo for example, completes track with the smallest stuff, but still his shit is flavorful all over the song.

in other words, I'm just sayin I respect his shit and all the plays it gets, but I'm pretty sure you'll get fucking slaughtered on any round on any warzone with this beat:

He got good shit, but MAYBE his good shit could be much more well-produced. I am a believer in being persuasive and on point (and I'm not gonna deny that I lowkey do enjoy overly crowded songs when made properly), but I've always only liked his shit when he didn't apply this idea to it.

I say it places top 5 for the elephant sound alone.

But here's the thing... listen to it again but with the vocal. It makes you want to move a lot more. Nodded a lot more with the vocal on. The vocal is an instrument. It's key.

The other thing to factor in, is Timb mentioned when working with Missy she'll often be like 'um no take that out!' to sounds when Timbaland was putting them in. But this is the kinda VA sound, if you listen to a bunch of Neptunes/Pharrell stuff too.

The minimalist and repetitive nature of this beat when coupled with the vocal is what makes you move and want to move when you hear it and why it absolutely slaps in the club.

You can see who understands it here too, in the vocalYES battles, some people really rock with the repetitive beats when picking the right vocal.

The main reason it'd be hard for a beat like that to place here too (apart from that understanding above), is ill is largely oldschool heads, or counterfeit jordan wearing hype bois. So it's largely boombap:trap bias. Probably be hard to make something that doesn't fall into either category win. But at least if you do it you stand out, and may be a few people here who think it's the dopest shit about!

I say it places top 5 for the elephant sound alone.

But here's the thing... listen to it again but with the vocal. It makes you want to move a lot more. Nodded a lot more with the vocal on. The vocal is an instrument. It's key.

The other thing to factor in, is Timb mentioned when working with Missy she'll often be like 'um no take that out!' to sounds when Timbaland was putting them in. But this is the kinda VA sound, if you listen to a bunch of Neptunes/Pharrell stuff too.

The minimalist and repetitive nature of this beat when coupled with the vocal is what makes you move and want to move when you hear it and why it absolutely slaps in the club.

You can see who understands it here too, in the vocalYES battles, some people really rock with the repetitive beats when picking the right vocal.

The main reason it'd be hard for a beat like that to place here too (apart from that understanding above), is ill is largely oldschool heads, or counterfeit jordan wearing hype bois. So it's largely boombap:trap bias. Probably be hard to make something that doesn't fall into either category win. But at least if you do it you stand out, and may be a few people here who think it's the dopest shit about!

honestly, being able to Stand out AND win is legit greatness at it's most obvious form. I'd kill to reach that level. altho that'd take a lot of time I'd have to put on the beat, and also the annoying part is even if I do and it's good, I'll keep it for a decent rapper or singer so I'd take a shot at getting a hit out there, so there's basically no winning. it's my own choice tho so I can't nag about it.

that being said, you got a point. Idk... maybe I'm too focused on a "just instrumental" mindset, but still I appreciate music that makes both the hood side and the musician side of me happy more. that's hip hop at it's best for me. to understand my viewpoint better, this is my personal all-time greatest hip hop production:

Here's another one that is pretty close to the same formula of 'Dirt Off Your Shoulder'.

The beat, (like Dirt Off) absolutely fucking thumps.

both ur links say video unavailable. can u give the track titles?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
honestly, being able to Stand out AND win is legit greatness at it's most obvious form. I'd kill to reach that level. altho that'd take a lot of time I'd have to put on the beat, and also the annoying part is even if I do and it's good, I'll keep it for a decent rapper or singer so I'd take a shot at getting a hit out there, so there's basically no winning. it's my own choice tho so I can't nag about it.

that being said, you got a point. Idk... maybe I'm too focused on a "just instrumental" mindset, but still I appreciate music that makes both the hood side and the musician side of me happy more. that's hip hop at it's best for me. to understand my viewpoint better, this is my personal all-time greatest hip hop production:

Homeboy's beat is a fucking sample.