Filtering drums

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
Battle Points: 113
I chopped up this fuckin dope sample but the sample had drums in so there is this constant offbeat tick from the snares and hi hats. I have tried the usual shit like filters and burying it in the mix but I can not get rid of it and its driving me bananas cause I really dont want to trash this sample. Yall got any ideas?

SwayeeBoogie

Torch Bearer for Authentic Hip-Hop
Yea to piggy back off @DJ Dope-Needlz usually what i try to do is chop it up in a manner where it can work for me. So it fall on the snare or the kick or use it as additional rhythm/ Chopping in smaller sections around that particular part in the sample may allow you to place it where its not heard or helps you. That doesn't always work though. Some sample you have to let go lol

I chopped up this fuckin dope sample but the sample had drums in so there is this constant offbeat tick from the snares and hi hats. I have tried the usual shit like filters and burying it in the mix but I can not get rid of it and its driving me bananas cause I really dont want to trash this sample. Yall got any ideas?
another method would be automation. You could set up a channel to trigger a sidechained compressor on the sample channel at every point the beat hits, the compressor will only trigger when you tell it too, and you can fine tune the compression to maximum effect. or you can automate volume, the compressor method would be better i think and less messy.

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
another method would be automation. You could set up a channel to trigger a sidechained compressor on the sample channel at every point the beat hits, the compressor will only trigger when you tell it too, and you can fine tune the compression to maximum effect. or you can automate volume, the compressor method would be better i think and less messy.
I was thinking the same, but the offbeat thing with his drums will stay, maybe even be more emphasized...definitely can try it...depends on the sample...

I was thinking the same, but the offbeat thing with his drums will stay, maybe even be more emphasized...definitely can try it...depends on the sample...
as long as what is triggering the sidechained compressor is perfectly timed it can at least mask the offending kick, and allow a better timed replacement
Might work, might be a waste of time like you say, depends on the sample

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Have you tried Izotope RX 7 to clean things up from your sample ?

Yes, it is pricy and I can't promise it works but it has "re-balance" plugin that's supposed to be able to take away drums from an audio track... I had tried it on several occasions and it worked about half the time.

(If you want I can try it for you ... unless we're talking LOTS of sample chops).

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
Thanks yall. I honestly dont know shit about side chaining yet. I'm gonna try and chop it up more. Time to slice and dice!!!

DJ Wax-Turtle

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that.
I Always chop on the Kick/Snare also but when the Hi-Hats in between the beats go out of time all the time i chop it on the Hi-Hat also. So 8 chops for 1 bar.
A lot of drummers timing isn't perfect.

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
So I played around with the filters some more and with a combination of high and low pass the tick is gone. The sample sounds a little different but it added a nice little bassline in the process lol. To give you an idea it almost sounds like some old mobb deep type beat.