Filtering or EQ'ing samples in Live 7

• beat this! voting starts in...

*~Snaelro Wen~*

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Me again!

Also, any tips on filtering samples like how im use to on the MPC's? ive tried the included filters and eqs to remove the lower end of some samples and its not comming out the same like they did on the mpc. it just doesnt sound good. tips? recommended plugins?

Thanks in advance!

spartan265

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
one of the best EQ's ive messed with is the one on logic. so you could reWire your ableton into that and take advantage of its EQ. alternatively, there are many other vst's you can download if you dont have logic. however none of them stick out in my mind as 'MPC sounding'... not really sure what you mean by that but i doubt any vst can emulate effects off a piece of hardware like an MPC so you'll just have to browse through and pick the one you think sounds like what your looking for.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
one of the best EQ's ive messed with is the one on logic

Word. A bit off topic but it was stuff like that that made me make the switch from Live to Logic.

But in regards to using an EQ setting similar to the MPC - Im assuming your referring to the filters inside PROGRAM MODE rather then applying an actual EQ FX as an FX Insert in the MIXER?

If so, those are just LOW PASS, BAND PASS, & HI PASS filters....
Its been a while since i used Live now, but i would be dammed if it didnt have a basic set of filters such as those.

If not, you can achieve very similar results by simply rolling off all low freq's to taste in a parametric EQ and the same thing goes for the Hi's or Mids if your going for a hi-pass, or band-pass filter sound instead. A true bandpass is best left to a filter made specifically for that use though depending on the parametric EQ your trying to get that sound from.

[Also - play with your Q setting once u roll off the low or hi end freq's....using more drastic settings that are a bit more brickwalled so to speak will come closer to what your hearing on the MPC. The filters on the MPC dont have a generous slope/Q for where u cut the bandwidth - instead the lows or hi's just get cut like a knife right at the selected frequency inside the MPC...Thats a big part of why your parametric's' not gonna sound exactly the same.]

HOPE THAT ACTUALLY ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION!? haha

**Snaelro - What you have to keep in mind about the way the MPC sounds is that it imparts in own color of sound on the audio sampled into and tracked out of it. This is largely thanks to its excellent converters. (Analog -> Digital) So because of factors like this, its unrealistic to consider a particular effect inside a DAW to be able to do the same thing.

If your looking for a analog emulation or saturation effect, u might want to try something like Vintage Warmer or something similar, but u really can't just slap a iZotope Vinyl plugin on the track for example and expect it to sound the same because it wont. You'll get something similar but it def wont be the same.

Also, in regards to converters and sampling - what i would suggest is if your working solely inside the box (Computer/DAW) to generate your music...consider purchasing a higher end audio interface with better converters for sampling in your sounds if you record from sources such as records into your DAW for example.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I personally think that the plugins that come with Ableton do a great job at filtering samples. If u click on the icon that looks like the back of a credit card you'll see the plugins that come standard with Ableton. Hopefully you're using Ableton 7! The "Auto Filter" is great. You also have some very good eq's in the "EQ Three" (my personal fav) and the "EQ Eight". Both those EQ's have cut offs for the lows, mids and highs. You have a lot more knobs to tweak with these than you'll ever find in your MPC. I know because I have an MPC2000!

U should be able to tweak and filter your ass off with those 3 plugins homie...trust me on that!

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
That's true man, i did a lot of beats in Ableton Live 7 and the filters and EQs are quite good. They sound real nice and clean... they do tend to thin out the sound a little so you might wanne compress after EQing..

Right now i use the MPC2500 for beats and just mix in Live 7..

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
im thinking about messing with Ableton Live 7... I love my reason and i got Pro Tools down to science but i just don't like composing in it and it doesnt work that well with my Dell Inspiron Laptop... I also got Logic and its good and all but I just like Pro Tools better... But the way Drama Boi be promoting Ableton Live im like damn I'm bout to just mess with that see If I can just create with that and Reason and do touch ups in Pro Tools...

You can rewire Ableton to Pro Tools, and then Reason to Ableton. One big nasty chain of dopeness! Check YouTube for how to rewire Reason to Ableton....its really really simple. After you find out how you drop about four midi tracks and 4 audio tracks with the midi tracks routed into those audio tracks and save it as a start up template in Ableton (you can add more if needed, that'll just get you started. That way you won't have to keep setting Ableton up every time you want to use it and Reason together.