Filtering ?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
What do you guys use when you filter your samples?

Working on this one sample, and I'm trying to maniuplate the sound a little bit....

T

The Arkitekt

the usual... pitch, EQ, delay when applicable, some verbs

Also a little bit of rBass from Waves and iZotope Vinyl (the "wear" parameter and "year" parameter is really good for certain sounds, iZotope Vinyl is free too). Some vintage EQ/comps from waves (I think its the SSL and API plugs)... the Wave's SSL comp plug sounds real smooth. it deff aint for kicks though, I like to use it on the main sample. I throw the Renaissance comp from Waves on the kicks, gives 'em power.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
are you asking what do we use to filter?

in the old days, the eps

now, a combo of a linear phase eq and/or something like fabfilter volcano or psp mixbass/waves rbass/maxxbass. haven't tried ohmboyz filter plugs or the old anteres one, heard good things, but when it comes down to it, none compare to the sound i got from filtering samples on my eps.

you could try using those plugs meant to emulate samplers like sonitex or d16 (can't remember the name) and see how they handle filtering the highs and lows. camelphat would be another thing i've heard people like using for that purpose

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
For me my filtering begins in the MPC so I utilize basic LP, BP, HP filters and play with the resonance if needed.

Later once my sounds are tracked into Logic, I might use the Channel EQ to more precisely remove or boost particular freq's.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Just making it sound like something else....as to not make it so recognizable...without chopping the shit out of it.

T

The Arkitekt

Just making it sound like something else....as to not make it so recognizable...without chopping the shit out of it.

light flanger with a high pass enough to somewhat take a kick out and pitch shift the whole thing, could also lower the sample rate to 22khz, makes it sound grittier

Just some ideas

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
light flanger with a high pass enough to somewhat take a kick out and pitch shift the whole thing, could also lower the sample rate to 22khz, makes it sound grittier

Just some ideas

Ah..I forgot about that..

I'm thinking of bringing Goldwave out...

I had goldwave filter a sample down to where it became a bassline....

T

The Arkitekt

Yea I forgot about goldwave lol. I remember you talking bout that muffle effect or something... wouldnt a low pass do the same thing tho?

Thomba Artz

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I jus sit down and start pushin buttons and twist some of them til I hear something I like
I just started using samples so I have a great deal too learn

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
If were still talking about filtering which is simply EQ basically thats one thing, applying reverb, modulation effects, etc. are really considered FX Processing or just Processing.

Just about any DAW or beatmaking software offers basic LP, BP, HP filters along with Parametric EQs.....I would start there if you really just want to filter particular frequencies from your sample.

If your looking to effect the audio in a creative way that has nothing to do with filtering then Modulation Effects, Ring Shifters, etc are cool to mess with.