Filtering

BourbanBoi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i have heard alot of people talk about filtering there samples.......................what is filtering and how does it help out your sample.........holla@me

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Hey Bourban
A filter is like a super strong eq. But instead of turning only the bass or treble up or down, it removes everything higher or lower than the bass (or the treble).
So you can be listening to a song where you like the bass, but not the guitar, run a filter over it and remove the guitar so you only hear the bass. This is called a low pass filter.
If there's a song with a nice cymbal pattern, you can cut out all the crap that is beneath it so you hear only the hats and cymbals. This is called a hi pass filter.
Easy
Dahkter

E

Equality 7-2521

is it just me or does filtering suck most of the time for the simple fact that there is always SOME of the other sounds left in the sample. i hate that.....

maybe im not doing it right.

i guess it can only be done with certain samples

G

Ghetto Lexicon

well if performed right.. filtering can produce a good ending sound to a drum hit or w.e...

keep in mind that u gotta put the right amount of resonance and cutoff when filtering... also u should eq after if u still dont have the sound that ur lookin for.

BourbanBoi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
what program do i need??

filtering sounds coo...... it also answers alot of questions about music production......................but what program (software) do i need to do this ...............Holla back

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
>>is it just me or does filtering suck most of the time for the simple fact that there is always SOME of the other sounds left in the sample. i hate that.....

- its hard to find a sample that u can actually eliminate instruments, its all about CLEAN samples.. once you do you can filter out vinyl grumble, or harsh clipping from old recordings etc..
or if u deal with techno and shit you use it alot more for alotta things like buildups-which are cool in hiphop too.
"not that ive ever made techno beats or anything i swear!"

members online