Finally Got Some Money!!!Need Help

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
Alright I FiNally Got Some Money After Selling My Dj Set Up. I Have About 800 Dollars To Spend. This Is My Dilemma Tough. I Have Always Wanted To Buy An Mpc , But Im Not Sure If I Should Spend The Money On A Mpc Or Buy Some Monitors And Maybe A Soundcard Or Something Like That To Add To My Software Set Up. I Wanted To Get The Mpc 2000xl But Now Im Kinda Stuck In Between What To Do With The Money So I Need Some Of Your Help To Help Me Figure This Out...thanks

My Set Up Goes As Followed:
2.6 Ghz Pc
Reason 2.5
Recycle 2.0
M Audio 61 Key Midi Keyboard
Adobe Audition + Plug Ins

E

Equality 7-2521

id go monitors and a soundcard. these are very important.

i wouldnt get an mpc. you already have reason to make beats with. mpc later.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I would agree since you already have the software setup expand on that with a nice soundcard and monitors. Depending on what you get, you could spend that whole $800 on just a soundcard.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I'd try to save up some more, get the new genelecs '29 active nearfields and add a cheap 0404 for the moment.

Rocksolid, mpc is indeed a luxury issue, the card and nearfields will make such a difference.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I had all of that software and still do, used it, and it definitely does the job....not the exact job of the AKAI but emulates that piece to a degree......put it like this, if you get the MPC, you will not regret it though.....whenever I have to get rid of one of mine for whatever reason.....or SP....I miss it and MUST replace it ASAP....with another AKAI.......

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^^ but we rock more gear and have more options, I see most kids buying the mpc as a starter selling it quickly again because the mpc itself does give em the results they had in mind. Those expectations belong to someone with insight and perspective, not for a noob unless he does see the purpose of purchasing it before buying it which is seldomly the case.

MPC's are fun though, intuitive as fuck and that's what a a beatfreak needs, it just aint the solution in the box that people think it is.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yeah i see your point, me Imma PRE software for drum pattern cat, and I play the drums too....the reason I love the akai is the REALISM of a programmed pattern that's all and the overall sound quality if mixed correctly......I dunno what a lot of kids are really buying the MPC for nowadays....I owned my first one about 5 or 6 years ago and I guess everyone didn't have one in their arsenal...but you can spend 500 and get a used 1000 that's not really that much more expensive than a piece of software so it makes the whole thing sort of novel nowadays becuz you have at least 10 people on every block claiming to be producers too that changes the craft too, and to be honest I buy my software and it costs about the same, I think a lot of people settle on the software side of things becuz they usually have paid nothing and they make beats about on the same level as they had a piece of gear for completely FREE...LOL.....that's why a lot of cats with gear get salty about the whole debate...becuz generally they have actually paid hard earned money for an MPC or another piece of gear instead of spending 3-600 on a piece of software or worse yet hi jacking a pirated copy.........but I have both and spent the money I make producing to buy it to get my lab up to par so I consider having them both a well rounded setup.....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Word, but tell and explain a noob on what a well rounded setup looks like.

My idea of the most software emulating stuff is that's still cheaper than hardware, "easier" than hardware. I say cheaper because a software package gives you more options than it's original hardware equivalent could offer you, but the single utility of the hardware unit is much better than it's software equivalent. That makes hardware expensive and at the same time software easy.

When talking producer platforms I'd go software in general, if I wasn't such a hardware freak that is. To me software is mainly recording and midi, audio on FL or EXS24 but I do have samplers aswell. They're all beneficial in the right set flexible set, which again takes some gear to establish and lesser software, I mean, I could scrap every bit of software I'm used to and be left with Logic for software and the MPC for hardware ( which is basically the controlroom setup, mpc in midi-thru mode and logic, the rest on dynamics, fx etc is hardware ). But either one of them would still be a bad ass setup. This is an expensive hobby or profession, whatever you like and if you are really serious about it I'd suggest to save up some good money ( think 10K ) first and look into pirate gear to sort out what you prefer on the software side of production and recording. Then when you have the bucks you buy the whole setup.

Yes, it takes patience hehe.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
BeAtArKiTeK said:
Alright I FiNally Got Some Money After Selling My Dj Set Up. I Have About 800 Dollars To Spend. This Is My Dilemma Tough. I Have Always Wanted To Buy An Mpc , But Im Not Sure If I Should Spend The Money On A Mpc Or Buy Some Monitors And Maybe A Soundcard Or Something Like That To Add To My Software Set Up. I Wanted To Get The Mpc 2000xl But Now Im Kinda Stuck In Between What To Do With The Money So I Need Some Of Your Help To Help Me Figure This Out...thanks

My Set Up Goes As Followed:
2.6 Ghz Pc
Reason 2.5
Recycle 2.0
M Audio 61 Key Midi Keyboard
Adobe Audition + Plug Ins

I would say cop an mpc1000 or whateva version u was gonna get, if u wanted it that much u'll be inspired to use it alot and that might bring a different vibe to ur music that u found difficult yo achieve with software.

forget about the monitors why pay £1000 for speakers? thats insane if when u listen to ur favorite albums u listen to them on regular speakers so just make sure ur mix compares well with ur favourite cds interms of mix balance and u'll be cool.

A quality soundcard may be something worth investing in but 1st off id go with the MPC cos ultimately u can have the best monitors and soundcard in the world but if ur beats suck then u aint gonna wanna record and listen to em anyhow so why bother.

ps. not saying ur beats suck just making a point. lol

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
forget about the monitors why pay £1000 for speakers? thats insane if when u listen to ur favorite albums u listen to them on regular speakers so just make sure ur mix compares well with ur favourite cds interms of mix balance and u'll be cool.

If you're speakers are crap ( are deceiving you ) and you're using them for reference your productions will sound like crap. You can make pretty good productions on a crappy old pc if you have proper nearfields, you cannot make create good productions on a G5 with pc desktop speakers. It's about details you're probably not hearing but which you can alter (notice) when having the proper nearfields.

To me Monitors and Console come prior to anything else in the setup, they're your main tools and also the items you could never spend enough money on. All the other items in a setup are personal preference, I mean, you can be happy with merely a mpc or get the extra flexibilty and rock a boosted DAW. But they still come secondary to the first If you're taking this producing game seriously. I can understand if you dont care about quality issues and are all about banging pot and pans or just for the sake of having a mpc, then sure, just go for it.