FL Studio to MPC 2000xl

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Mpc Help

Ok.. here's the thing.. right now i got a PC and FL studio 6 and i like making beats on that. But i'm offered a MPC 2000XL for a good price.

But will working on the MPC decrease my workflow? Cus i can't add effects easily on the MPC? u need to add and the effects on the comp right?

Also is the sound of the MPC soooo much better then the sound coming out my 2496 soundcard from Maudio?

If i'm wrong please tell me, cus i'd love to have a mpc, but i just wanna make beats on the most user friendly way i can..

Will it cost me a lot more time to make beats like this and is this worth it?

And if anyone can give a few more pros & cons i'd really appreciate it...

Peace

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
To be honest the MPC is easier for making beats especially ones that are "on beat". Im not saying FL is a bad way to go but im my opinion your drums will be alot better on the MPC. The only way working on the MPC will decrease your workflow is if u dont put anywork into it. Also if u need effects you can add them to the tracked out mix or add them to the sounds before loading them in the MPC your choice or you can buy an effect card(not sure if they are good or not never used one). The sound coming from the MPC will be fine since u have a good sound card. Its jus a matter of knowing how to record and mix the sounds correctly(settings, levels, eq's, ect...).

Overall if u get the MPC i guareentee you u wont be disappointed. The one's who are usually NEVA take the time to learn it but instead whine and beg us to teach them everything. Its called Trial and Error you have to do that. How u think i know so much?

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Yeah but i need to timestretch samples..:D..Then i need to EQ my drums and all.. so basically i need to do that all before turning to the MPC right? That won't be easy...

And most of the time i add the effects while making the beat and that won't be able on the MPC am i right?

Ok how do u add effects to your tracks then?

How much time will approx. take me to learn that machine?

peace boo

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
Seems to me u dont want to let Software go so i recommend that u stick with software. Since u have so many things u want to do. My question is if u doing everything u need to on software why do u want a MPC then? I dont get it.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Because i thought i would be a much more hands on approach u dig me? And the timing on the sequencer sounds great.. so i'd figured it would be a nice add to get it..

Maybe just in combination with FL and all it's hella nice..
And the MPC mos def sounds good, i'm just pointing out pro's and con's before buying the thing u dig..

I know if i buy it i can sell it again so what the heck i'ma just buy it and play with and i'll just see how it works for me..

Peace

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
You can send out a sync from the mpc's output and set FL to sync with ext. clock ( the mpc ), if your card can handle it then in full duplex you can record anything into fl quite easily. You dont have to add effects to a whole track, just create a sequence, track it to fl en flip it there. Or just create a beat and drop the phrase samples ( of considerable length ) in fl, you do a multiband compression on the mpc drum track ( song actualy in mpc term ) or just track seperate sequences from the mpc through the same multibandcomp settings.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
You can send out a sync from the mpc's output and set FL to sync with ext. clock ( the mpc ), if your card can handle it then in full duplex you can record anything into fl quite easily. You dont have to add effects to a whole track, just create a sequence, track it to fl en flip it there. Or just create a beat and drop the phrase samples ( of considerable length ) in fl, you do a multiband compression on the mpc drum track ( song actualy in mpc term ) or just track seperate sequences from the mpc through the same multibandcomp settings.

Iiigght i'm a try that formant, but won't it lose sound quality when i track it in to FL from the MPC?

Can't wait to get that thing and really see what's happening with the MPC :D cus everybody is so delighted with that thing i really need that thing and be busting on those buttons..:D

BTW what's full duplex?
Peace

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
no man, just go 24 bit/44khz and hit the up mixer polarity to 256 syncdepth. You might have to check on your latency and how well the drivers perform to allow you the low latency.

Full duplex simply put means that your able to playback and record at the same time, a simultanious bi directional traffic of audio without any drop outs.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
I don't think my soundcard supports this.. i think it will go clicking and popping like a motherfucker so then i'll need to buy a new one..

So i need to set the settings in FL to 24bit/44khz and the mixer 256 syncdepth.. i believe i already have that... i suppose but it does take a lot of CPU..

Will it help if i cop some more Interal Memory? or should i just buy another soundcard for it .. cus i don't know my drivers will support this... it does support asio but this sounds pretty heavy right?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
A fast HD and fast memory too, the more the merrier. If the cpu wont cope with the high syncdepth than you want a faster cpu

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Lazy Eyes said:
I've got a slow HD just a regular IDE so that's bad but i already had taht before buying my comp.. and i got 1 gig of ram.

So maybe i need to upgrade to 2 gigs.. of ram

Actualy, I'd test it first when you get the mpc in, but it should do fine, you can alter the timing on the mpc aswell to match up if the audio card latency wont make it.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Yeah i won't upgrade my memory before i will find troubles i ain't no bank, my funds go low too....

So first i'll fuck with it.. if i get troubles i'll fuck with the drivers of my soundcard, and then if that don't work i'll fuck with the timing on the MPC and then if that don't work i'll buy new ram..

members online