FLstudio Masters III: Impact

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
What do you do when you want more impact out of your sounds? We amp, normalize, Eq, and use Fx's and still sometimes don't get the results we want. The question is how do I get more impact out of my sounds? Someone might say compression, and that's good, you definately don't want to forget anything that you use to enhance your sounds, these can still be used along with this technique to add more impact to your sounds. When I first came across this issue, I solved it but doubling up my channels. If have a snare that wasn't hitting hard enough, I would add another channel of that sound. After doing this for awhile you'll find yourself tired of have to double layers, and tired of have to do so processes double times. So here is the tip & example: a.Go to the channel settings for one of your drum sounds and click the FUNC tab. b. Look at the controls for the Echo delay/fat mode and turn the Feed control up to the 3rd notch. Your feed controls the volume of your echo'd sound. If you hit your sound now you will hear it echo 4 times. Next go over to the time control and turn it all the way down. The Time control controls how far apart your echo's hit, by turning it all the way down, we set our echo's to hit when the initial sounds hit, therefore making it sound like one hit instead of a echo. Finally to the right of your Time control is the ECH (echo). This lets you set the number of echo you want. When your Time control is all the way down, Your ECH number impacts your sound with the same hit, according to the corrisponding number. Example: If your ECH is set to 1, you will have the impact of 2 hits(or to of the same sample), if it is set to 2 you will have the impact of 3 hits( or 3 of the same sample). The reason this is, is because you also have the inital hit making a sound. That beats adding duplicate channels all the time in my book, and then you still have the option of adding a duplicate channel if you wanted to dig into some other stuff. I've also tried it on some vst's and it worked, but not on all of them. But this is a good technique to get more impact out of your samples. Have Fun
Peace

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 191

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
i always used to double my sounds but im gonna do that from now on, nice one man

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I know a lot of cats out there are doubling their samples, I did when I was working on FT2 since there were no realtime dynamics in the program but it's different on FL4, way different. Like Jay-Z puts it; it's so unneccesary. It causes to fill up your mix ( read; eat headroom ) and phasing/clipping of sample when played. You can layer a sample with another sample, eq/filter both and level to match the required reference in mind, or example. You can imagine doing this on a soft/subtle acoustic jazz kick layered with a sine ( sampled or not ) in tune with the kick's acoustic sustain. Snares are acousticly recorded with 2 mics, being placed on top and bottom of the snare. The top mic will record part of mid and high frequencies ( cq hi-mid and treble ), the bottom snare would record lo-mid and low frequencies. This is done within the dynamic range of the snare in the mix, which still means subtle eq'ing. You should compress the top snare and you CAN but dont have to compress the bottom snare. Another thing you can do to spice up a snare is to add some resonance from the INS tab in the Channel Setting, like 1/5th to a 1/4 open should be sufficient. Hats are a cake its really up to the ear, dont sweep or boost the high freq's but go counterclockwise on eq's and turn the signal up a bit.

Some other issues;

1. Put on Normalize at the SMP tab in the Channel Setting, it will set a nominal output for the sample.

2. Drums are mono, unless they're phrase samples/loops, for instance, recorded from record/phono or stereo line-in. Actually, every "real" instrument such as a guitar, piano, horn or string are mono. Digital synths are stereo, "raw" basslines from digital synths should be mono but " raw " mono basslines with onboard synth fx should be stereo ( fx like reverb and delay when possible should be returned in stereo but are fed mono, some fx will indicate by their name that it's stereo anyway). So always check if the sample loaded into the channel is mono by hitting CTRL+E to bring up the wav editor. If there's two channels displaying a drum you should convert it to mono, again, if neccesary.

3. When you're in the wav editor, also check on the sample if it's cut from the very beginning of the sample. Any millisecond before the sample start should be selected and deleted for the sake of timing ( although at times it just gives the right swing to it hehe ).

4. Wether you're using step editor or pianroll, you should always use the Volume-envelope for samples in order to set their maximum length to create space between all the drumhits, again, this will free headroom for your mix. Go to the INS tab in the channel setting, hit the tab that control the amplitude parameters. Now close the whole envelope displayed meaning counterclockwise all the way back on attack, decay, sustain and release but not "hold". Set the hold for the maximum length you want to hear in order to cut off the unneccesary parts and do this on all samples/instruments. Also set samples to cut-itself by rightclicking the channel tab and selecting this function, but rides for example have no need to get cut off on the next note, in fact they sound very true when layering. Basskicks however are a pain when layered so set 'em to cut-itself, if clicking or anything happens you should add the tiniest bit of attack on the Vol-Envelope and the same on the release. This, in a way, works like a gate, but much more direct.

5.Now if you get this correctly then the final bit is a matter of balancing out your drums in the mix. If you're using FL in VSTi mode you should group all the routed drumparts to a bus in order to control the whole drumsection under 1 fader. This gives you much convenience when balancing your mixdown.

6.Now in hiphop there's mostly just 2 kinds of mixdowns;

1. where the kick is placed in front of the bass.
2. where the kick is placed behind the bass.

These 2 are the first things you should consider when setting up for a mixdown. Everything else in the mix ( level/eq/fx & dynamic settings of all to be recorded instruments/vocals ) relate and affect to these 2 and are definitly not louder ( when talking basic dance/hiphop music, it really differs from genre to genre ).

7.It's up to you eventualy that determines what to accentuate in the mix and if you work into detail to give your production the most headroom possible, you can point out those detail in your production because there is room for it in the mix. Next thing you do is set a good multiband-compressor over the bus/group, something like a Vintage warmer would be very good for this. Play with it and keep in mind that the signal that comes in the comp has a small difference from what goes out. Less/subtle dynamics/eq increases dynamic range and vice versa naturaly. Also, each signal being fed to the comp will affect the output result, for example; Route kick, snare and rides to the same comp input, and leave the closed/open hats ( or a typical 8/16beat hatsection ) uncompressed. What happens now is that, depending on how you set it ( this one example ), the kick and snare will be set to front but both seem to trigger an envelope on the rides creating a sort of drive/swing ( also depending on how you programmed the drums ) with the hats au naturel on 8th notes.

8. Little tip on the echo.

8a.Look under the HELP bar in the top left corner when tuning the time knob. It displays 0 when turned all the way left, but setting it to 2.0 sync's it to a 1/8th timing, 4.0 to a 1/4th. You do the math on the rest.

8b.The amount of effect you set for either cut off, resonance and pitch is divided by the amount of echo's set in the echo box.

8c.If you set Feed to exactly half, all the echo's are equally loud.

8d.Always, well not always, but keep in mind that the amount echo's should be an uneven amount. To give a simple example; take a closed hat and place it on every first 1/4 note within 1 bar-> set the time to 2.0 and set feed to 25% or so ( use ear ). This gives a " ghostnote " on every played hat, which saves the time to write it down in a score ( copy the closed hat and then set the Feed to 0 to keep a " clean " closed hat for divers programming ). You can achieve the same by using the cut off, it's whatever suits you best but both do the trick.

8e.So, Time=1.0/Echo=11 equals 1 bar, Time=2.0/Echo=7 equales 1 bar, Time=3.0/Echo=5 equals 1 bar, Time=4.0/Echo=3 equals 1 bar.

and that's about enough for the day.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
classic said:
Damn thats a pretty good idea man!!! THats that should work on my MOTIF rack and MPC right???

Yo, you can trigger/assign one sample with another or the same one on the mpc , but 8 out would be better over a console or multi I/O farmcard.

I dunno for motif but it should do the same since assigning/triggering samples to other samples is/should be a common sampler/workstation feature.

Still... I would not recommend it hehe.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
Format, I bet you rock a white lab jacket in the studio. I'm thinking bout getting one myself. Thankx for the info.

Cm had a article on that in thier April issue but by the time I got back to the store to buy it, a new issue was out, I never got the chance to read it. Is this a summary by any chance? Format

If it is, I won't have to find that mag, I was thinking about it the other day.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I never buy them tech mags, I know what's out there through the net so who needs a mag, mags dont always bring the latest new. This is a summary from my experience with FL so you might want to read the mag if you can find it.

No white lab jackets but blue cleanroom suits with gloves, facemask, a toolbox and state of the art ESD control man!.

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
LOL, you must have the radioactive verion of FLstudio.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I've implemented new semiconductor technology to improve calculation power and rewrote windows to finaly add multiple kernel drivers to activate some real multitasking power.

I also had Bill Gates fired by the New World Order in order to take his identity.

" Hi, Im Bill, how are you today ? "

benny beatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
formant you sound like you know your shit homey... how long u been usin fl?

about the doubling of instruments... i just head over to channel settings then MISC tab, then turn up the volume in the levels adjustment area... never had to turn it all the way up so it works pretty good...

members online