Following Trends: How Often Do You Cater To The Market?

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.

Those who contribute will get a free copy of Boom Bap Phonetics 3 see details below

Hey guys,

I just put up a new video explaining the importance of following trends. I understand that there are some Hiphop purist here and I'm fine with that. All comments are welcome.

1) Watch video and leave a comment on the video as well as this thread

2) If you have a googleplus account please make sure you have this option activated before submitting comment (Please see attached image)

3) Tweet the video and make sure you include me @diymusicbiz

This way I can accurately see who's contributing and I know who the pass the kits to :)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• GooglePlus Youtube.png
    GooglePlus Youtube.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 13

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Dope video. I mean, I'm a firm believer in just doing what you want and not to follow trends necessarily, BUT if your goal is to get lots of followers/subscribers and make some good money, then by all means...

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
^Word.

Yeah I mean shit, if you are lookin to make money by ridin coat tails and shit like that, then go ahead. Yeah, gettin "hit by the mist" would be pretty cool monetarily speaking, but at the end of the day you just help flood the market on something that will die out. I guess being in the mind frame of "lemme get a piece too" is the most logical....I guess -_-
We do gotta eat and pay rent. It just sucks that you cant be excited about it musically speaking. Its just business.

As far as Hip Hop goes - following the trends essentially undermines the whole idea and spirit of Hip Hop. Dont care what anyone has to say about that. Not to say that no one in the history of hip hop followed trends, but there were indeed that many more "trendsetters".

I guess what Im gettin at is that I truly believe there is more worth in sticking to your own craft, and not letting someone else define you or what you do. Trends come and go. True art and uniqueness remains eternal.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
It's a fine line between staying true to your musical self...and paying the bills via the music you make. I've come to a point where i praise who are courageous enough to stick to doing their own thing despite the trends....while not faulting or putting down those that do.

members online