for those with netflix

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
i got this email today. this may cause them to loose a lot of customers.

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
And also 50% increase.... Mine is more because I use blu-ray..

I am actually canceling and going with Blockbuster....at least I can rent a game as well as a movie...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Blockbuster is online like Netflix....AND you can get them from the boxes they have (like the redbox).

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yeah I just chose not to get the DVD's, even though it's a simple process to just mail it back when you're finished...I'd rather not be responsible for them at all. Plus, we don't cue DVD's anyway, I think my wife accidently did it once in the year or so that I've had Netflix. My thing is...they should have reduced the price rather than just giving you the option to either double your bill or get half the service...thats kinda f'ed up imo.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah I just chose not to get the DVD's, even though it's a simple process to just mail it back when you're finished...I'd rather not be responsible for them at all. Plus, we don't cue DVD's anyway, I think my wife accidently did it once in the year or so that I've had Netflix. My thing is...they should have reduced the price rather than just giving you the option to either double your bill or get half the service...thats kinda f'ed up imo.

I think they're finding that most customers are using one or the other. Not as many using both. So if you're one of those its a money saver for you and NetFlix.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
lol@ many choices in home Ent , if we had that they wouldnt be able to do this.. I think it bites, but then I was pissed when they eliminated the social networking on the site as well.

I have been on the three at a time and streaming plan so I dont really wanna go one dvd at a time with a queue of like 400+ in dvds

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Well...As of September 1st I will be canceling my netflix and going with Blockbuster...they get the movies earlier and I could get a game here and there....

Plus there's a pretty cool app on my phone for blockbuster.... Sooo yeah..I'll be doing that... The Netflix app is too buggy on Android 2.3.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
i had the bluray plan and they were charging me 16.99 a month. i cancelled that and went for the 1 dvd at a time. they are trying to do away with dvds thats why they keep changing prices and plans to force people to do away from that. as soon as i can stream blockbuster on my xbox im switching to them.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i had the bluray plan and they were charging me 16.99 a month. i cancelled that and went for the 1 dvd at a time. they are trying to do away with dvds thats why they keep changing prices and plans to force people to do away from that. as soon as i can stream blockbuster on my xbox im switching to them.

Physical media, specifically optical media, is indeed on it's way out. Thats why bluray is so ridiculous, 25 to 50 gb is great, but speed needs to match and there is no way Sony didn't know about SDXC or any other flash media, hell the NEX cameras use SDXC so they definitely knew, so why come out with an overpriced, far too slow for the size format thats gonna be obsolete in a few years?
Sony should never make any formats, EVER. Just leave it to those that know what they're doing.

Sony should never make any formats, EVER. Just leave it to those that know what they're doing.

Yeah you're right, they fucked up with betamax, it cost them a fortune by selling ps3 at a loss to get blu ray the accepted standard over hd-dvd, and then it becomes obsolete pretty much straight away. haha.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah you're right, they fucked up with betamax, it cost them a fortune by selling ps3 at a loss to get blu ray the accepted standard over hd-dvd, and then it becomes obsolete pretty much straight away. haha.

And everyone forgot all about minidisc.

Netflix has a comfortable market share these days ... that's partly why they're able to raise their prices ... also as Lion said physical media is declining = I guess the company wants to focus on its streaming offer.

Yep, everyone is doing this. I haven't even been to a gamestop since I've gotten Steam. And if services like onlive become more successful even games with be streamed instead of downloaded. Which wouldn't be so bad since that would mean no more expensive consoles or multiple options of the same fucking thing.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
They had to raise prices because the rat bastard movie studios demanded more money. Netflix is the victim here. $5 a month extra, is that really a big deal to anyone here?

5 dollars a month is not a big deal. but if you look over the life of your membership its a significant raise. so instead of having 1 membership with netflix if you want to stream and get dvds you have to have 2 separate memberships with them. and bluray is extra. to bad blockbuster doesnt stream. i would switch. the streaming service for blockbuster is either rent or purchase.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
^ that is exactly my gripe....

It's gone up significantly in terms of percentages over the past year or so.... I understand things do become more expensive over time...but after a couple of years it goes up 100%...although it is a small increase in terms of dollars and cents...a 100% increase in cost in anything is ridiculous.