Fostex PM.O4's, worth it?

Louie Lou

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I'm looking for a set of monitors as most of you know, and I've found some for a decent price. I don't really know what I'm looking for if I'm honest, so can I get some feedback on this set please fam? http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/27866

As a side note, what should I be looking for when I get monitors? What specs etc.?

I have PM .05's and they are not the best, but affordable and sound pretty good but could be better. I had these for about 3 or 4 years now. They are very durable thats for sure.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
What do you suggest Kontents, a soundcard or an interface? I've got a laptop not a desktop, so that might affect the choice. How about the M-Audio Fast Track USB as suggested in another of my monitor threads (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB.html)?

Also, what's the difference between the M-Audio BX5A Deluxe and the M-Audio BX5A Bi-Amplified Monitors?

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
^^^
That wont work cause it doesnt have the right output jacks. This is the one that would work.. not sure if you want to pay out that much or what not.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrackPro/

Bi-amplified Efficiency
Active monitors have a distinct advantage over unpowered monitors, in that the built-in power amps are designed specifically to work with the drivers and crossovers in a tuned system. Bi-amplification further refines the concept by dedicating separate power amps to the highs and lows. Combined with a finely tuned crossover, the BX5a Deluxe's design ensures that both the high- and low-frequency drivers are asked to deliver only the frequencies they are more efficient at reproducing.

You are compairin the same monitors. It has the bi amp in it.

What do you suggest Kontents, a soundcard or an interface? I've got a laptop not a desktop, so that might affect the choice. How about the M-Audio Fast Track USB as suggested in another of my monitor threads (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB.html)?

Also, what's the difference between the M-Audio BX5A Deluxe and the M-Audio BX5A Bi-Amplified Monitors?

I wouldnt personally use a USB soundcard due to the bandwidth of USB, Id go for a firewaire if external.
Some external USB cards are limited to 48khz, you really should go for better quality, like at least 96khz.
I have a M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card( I went PCI for maximum bandwidth which allows the 192 khz samplerate, but you need a good processor to support that rate), Im happy with that, plus it allows me to use pro tools, which is growing on me all the time.
Im going to wait till next pay day then Im getting my BX8a Deluxe's.
I might splash out on Pro Tools 8 once Ive paid for the road tax and MOT on the car.
I cant wait. And then in two months if I still have a job, Im getting the pair of 1210MK5's. If I can get them a little cheaper than they are.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
I wouldnt personally use a USB soundcard due to the bandwidth of USB, Id go for a firewaire if external.
Some external USB cards are limited to 48khz, you really should go for better quality, like at least 96khz.
I have a M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card( I went PCI for maximum bandwidth which allows the 192 khz samplerate, but you need a good processor to support that rate), Im happy with that, plus it allows me to use pro tools, which is growing on me all the time.
Im going to wait till next pay day then Im getting my BX8a Deluxe's.
I might splash out on Pro Tools 8 once Ive paid for the road tax and MOT on the car.
I cant wait. And then in two months if I still have a job, Im getting the pair of 1210MK5's. If I can get them a little cheaper than they are.

I see. And how would an M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card work with my laptop? Surely they're intended for desktops? I can't see where it can go into my laptop.

T

The Arkitekt

Yea you cant put a PCI card in your laptop,, you need an external or one of the PCIMA (some shit like that) cards that slide in the side of your laptop.

I see. And how would an M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI card work with my laptop? Surely they're intended for desktops? I can't see where it can go into my laptop.

Oh right, yeah that changes things. I would try to get a firewire external soundcard then in that case.
You will prob have to settle for 48khz samplerate then.
Does your laptop have a firewire socket?
I think the Mbox 2 Pro is a bit out of your price range, but thats firewire external to 96khz i think. But then you have to pay for it. ASIO compatibility is another issue to think about, most decent cards support it tho so shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Oh right, yeah that changes things. I would try to get a firewire external soundcard then in that case.
You will prob have to settle for 48khz samplerate then.
Does your laptop have a firewire socket?
Good question. I took a picture of my laptop connections, and I'm not sure if I have a firewire socket. Here's the pic
laptopfirewireyx9.jpg

I think the Mbox 2 Pro is a bit out of your price range, but thats firewire external to 96khz i think. But then you have to pay for it. ASIO compatibility is another issue to think about, most decent cards support it tho so shouldnt be too much of an issue.
Looking at the price of the MBox pro, then yeah it is out of my price range for the minute.