Fu-Schnickens Crowd Effect...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
For those that know what I mean , Fu would have themselves shouting certain words of a verse, this is heard as well on the infamous thats Schmoove and Scenario.
Im wondering what fx they used to make it sound like the crowd effect they have it sounding like.
Sounds like more than just a smidge of hall.Wondering if anyone knows....
For that matter is there any technique or effect that gives a good crowd effect..??

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you're working alone, just overdub it like 15-20 times. the more you add, the bigger the sound. hopefully, all of your takes won't be in sync with each other, which gives it the effect of more people. vary your distance from the mic with each take too. and pan shit.

Yeah that's one way to do it but because it's the same voice over and over it just soundsl iek a bunch of androids- to get that real 'crowd' effect you need plenty of different voices with different timbres and pronounciations.

Cheers
Daymo

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You know what might be interesting (if the sound quality isn't too bad).. Is to take your recording gear on the road. Maybe a regular mic along w/ an old analogue tape recorder (can probably get from a thrift store)... You can probably get several of your friends and family to record the words that you're looking for. Like I said the recording quality might not be as tight as w/ a studio/cardioid mic, but may make for a more "realistic" crowd sound in the end when all blended together..

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
You know what might be interesting (if the sound quality isn't too bad).. Is to take your recording gear on the road. Maybe a regular mic along w/ an old analogue tape recorder (can probably get from a thrift store)... You can probably get several of your friends and family to record the words that you're looking for. Like I said the recording quality might not be as tight as w/ a studio/cardioid mic, but may make for a more "realistic" crowd sound in the end when all blended together..

Thats a good idea, I still have my Roland 1824 and thats possible, the funny thing is like you say the quality, try going portable outside sometime you would be amazed how much general noise there is, even if your in the country there are bugs and stuff lol..
Good idea there tho, Im gonna try that!

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's a good idea. Perhaps if you're recording outside you could even record some of the background and atmos noise seperatley and then use that as a 'noise profile' in Audition. Then use noise removal to remove that element from your vocal takes. Make sense?

Wouldn't suggest making it too heavy but you could certainly remove a fair amount of background noise using this method. Plus it wouldn't be too noticable if the crowd effects were only in short bursts.

Cheers
Daymo

ronp

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
don't want to sound like a pessimist.
I've never had much luck with noise removal in any program unless it's just the 60 hz hum of bad wiring. typically these work by inverting the phase of the noise profile and adding it back to the signal... really dynamic noises like bugs and traffic it might not do the job.

I say try to do it indoors. get about three people and try to do different voices (you can burry these in the background if they sound a little silly). I found it's pretty realistic to have a couple of conversations going (burying that in the mix as well) so the crowd sounds a little more out of sync.

added: oh and you can also pitch the voices a little not only will this put them a little out of sync but will vary them even more. and will probably help against any accidental chorusing of overdubbing the same person.

ronp

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
lol well damn! how about posting an acapella and having some of the fam send you back their voices?

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
just record the shit over and over with diffrent voices annd tones.. seriously .. do some takes in ur deepest voices, then try a high pitch one, do one a weird voice, then try a "loud whisper" type of voice etc..etc.. try and sound like a diffrent person for evrytake... blend them into each other level-wise ...then throw some delay and verb on that and u wont sound like ur self at all...i do that alot on my hooks. it works well to diffreniate the hook from the verse.

or like someone else said just have like 5 dudes shout into a mic at the same time.. layer a couple takes.... throw a lil echo and reverb on there and its wrap.