Full sail

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
i'm considering going in the fall but i'm weighing my options on should i go to a university, there or the closest recording school in my area.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
If u got the resources or the funds I would research where the best places that teach that are offered first and then weigh your options.
I myself lucked out in my home town since I didn't have the scratch to go anywhere else even if I wanted to but it just so happens that CSU is one of the top credited universities that provide a industry and recording program. Go figure.
I actually really wanted to go to Berkley. But you should def figure out what places offer the best education musically before narrowing your options just by whats conveniently close unless your like me and dont really have the option of leaving your home town behind.
Just a thought.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I feel like it depends on what your intentions are, if you're just doing this to up your game or if you're trying to make this a career. Some just want to understand music/media better and help their production skills...for those I would suggest anywhere thats affordable and convenient. If you want to make a career out of this, I would suggest going to a credited university. Im guessing thats what thedreampolice was getting at with his question.

Personally, haven't heard anything good or bad about Full Sail. Looking at their credits they appear to be pretty nice but advertisements usually look alot better than what it really is. I would visit them and take a tour or whatever, just check them out up close and personal before I commited myself to going there.

good luck,

dac

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
I went to Full Sail, graduated top of my class, and i do pretty well for myself now.

I honestly have no complaints whatsoever about the school. Worth the money in my opinion. The key is, when u graduate, don't expect to be hand fed a job. You still need to go out and hustle and make something happen for yourself.

I graduated about 2 and a half years ago. Now I'm Fabolous' engineer, and I've worked with everyone from Jay-Z, Mariah Carey, Pharrell, Kanye West, Diddy, and everyone in between. Actually, Full Sail just did a grad feature on me

http://www.fullsail.com/recording-arts/grad-features/11267-jordan-young.html

As I said, graduating Full Sail by no means guarantees you the sort of success I have had. BUT, it teaches you the fundamentals, in probably the best studios offered by any school. They're constantly updating their curriculum to adapt to new technologies that come out, and always updating their studios with the latest gear, while still teaching you the old stuff (Tape etc). My advice, is to hit up Orlando for a weekend, and take a tour of the campus. Worst case is you don't like the school and you spend the res of your weekend at Disneyland lol

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I went to Full Sail, graduated top of my class, and i do pretty well for myself now.

I honestly have no complaints whatsoever about the school. Worth the money in my opinion. The key is, when u graduate, don't expect to be hand fed a job. You still need to go out and hustle and make something happen for yourself.

I graduated about 2 and a half years ago. Now I'm Fabolous' engineer, and I've worked with everyone from Jay-Z, Mariah Carey, Pharrell, Kanye West, Diddy, and everyone in between. Actually, Full Sail just did a grad feature on me

http://www.fullsail.com/recording-arts/grad-features/11267-jordan-young.html

As I said, graduating Full Sail by no means guarantees you the sort of success I have had. BUT, it teaches you the fundamentals, in probably the best studios offered by any school. They're constantly updating their curriculum to adapt to new technologies that come out, and always updating their studios with the latest gear, while still teaching you the old stuff (Tape etc). My advice, is to hit up Orlando for a weekend, and take a tour of the campus. Worst case is you don't like the school and you spend the res of your weekend at Disneyland lol

I peeped that when I went to the site the first time congrats! see where I live (Baltimore) there are not that many options to which schools to choose from other than the a few surrounding universities and community colleges that I'm really not interested in going to, but i'm still leaning towards full sail I have a relative that went but didnt graduate but also didnt have nothing bad to say, and he basicly told me in order to really stay focused there I'd have to eat breathe and sleep this shit because there are mad distractions at the school, but thats anywhere. the only thing thats really keeping me from making a final decision is that the recording school here (omega) offers a certificate and (full sail) offers a degree. And even still its not only about what type of paper I can get but also what will I learn and which school offers the best program.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
They're constantly updating their curriculum to adapt to new technologies that come out, and always updating their studios with the latest gear, while still teaching you the old stuff (Tape etc).
Thats def critical... Im not sure if this applies to all universities like the one im at, but we def never had much new gear to learn on. We were fortunate to get a Mackie X-Buss to mix on! I know for a fact that other schools get waaaay better funding as far as gear needs go so in that respect my assumption is you prob would get more up to date gear to mess with at a school like Full Sail rather than a university due to the politics of school boards etc in deciding where the money goes. I mean Full Sail is a specialty school that focus' just on music primarely whereas my school does everything....You def win and loose in certain areas...

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ya you still have not said exactly what you want to do for your career? Swivel is the exception not the rule, most engineers are lucky to clear 30-40k a year, not really worth going to school for. Swivel also worked his ass off out of college to meet people and network. I work full time in the music industry and also work my ass of to get where I am. The degree helped (Berklee BTW) but I could have done everything without it. Bottom line if your not a hustler school wont help you much.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I'm graduating high school this year, and I'm definitely considering going to Full Sail next fall. I have visited and toured the school twice, and it seems to be a very good school. My intentions of going there is learn as much as I possibly can about engineering and after make a career out of it one way or another. I understand what yall mean about having to hustle afterwards and such. But I'm dedicating myself to a music career in engineering (hopefully I could land a studio job or any other job that would require engineering). The main reason why I want to go there is because I want to have a job that I love, instead of working in a career that pays a lot but is boring as hell. Right now, all I can see is working in the industry and I think FS would be worth it. I'm also considering a few other music schools in my state, but they don't stack up with FS. What do yall think? I'd love some suggestions, cause this is what I want to do with my life.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
I think your gonna get mixed feedback from everyone honestly depending on their experience, own opinions, and if theyve attended already or not.
Generally speaking, I think it sounds like you know what u want to do which is good. It took me a long ass time to decide the same thing. Full Sail will def help u learn more about your craft so if thats what u really want to do you should persue that path then fo sho.
Dont forget that an accredited school teaching Recording Arts is just as valid however.

Just remember, this industry is hard. Period. And its VERY competitive. Even with a BA in Recording Arts a music job isnt going to fall in your lap but if its what u want to do as in my case, then I say give everything you got and go for it.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I think your gonna get mixed feedback from everyone honestly depending on their experience, own opinions, and if theyve attended already or not.
Generally speaking, I think it sounds like you know what u want to do which is good. It took me a long ass time to decide the same thing. Full Sail will def help u learn more about your craft so if thats what u really want to do you should persue that path then fo sho.
Dont forget that an accredited school teaching Recording Arts is just as valid however.

Just remember, this industry is hard. Period. And its VERY competitive. Even with a BA in Recording Arts a music job isnt going to fall in your lap but if its what u want to do as in my case, then I say give everything you got and go for it.

Yo appreciate the feedback dude. I know what you mean with industry being straight competitive and a lot of hard work. But I feel its my passion and I'll do whatever it takes to make a living with it. I think that I will probably end up in FS next year, and I know it'll be worth effort and work.

Just wondering, what exactly did you go for (like what school and career). Do you mean that you became an engineer also?

Again props for the feedback.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Over the next 8 years the U.S. government forecasts 2000 jobs being created for the sound engineering field. Compare this to the 200,000 new jobs being created in Computer Networking over the same period.

IMHO, I suggest thinking about how you want to live because reality sets in at about 28; 10 years will change your perception on life. Plus, paying off the school loans sucks!

Also, how will the industry change over the next 10 years? Digital Media has killed the CD so it's quite possible home recording studios will make professional recording studios obsolete (or at least the skilled engineer's job), considering the constant increase in computer hardware and software power.

Just some things to think about.

members online