Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Part Time

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Would like to hear how you guys are doing this music thing. Discuss the quirks of doing it full-time or part-time. Hobbyists may be excused on the discussion, no offence, but if it is just a hobby, then the discussion does not matter at all.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Part time... hopefully soon to be Full-Time. I am moving to Nashville in about two months. I guess they are the music capital of the US but that's because it is Gospel and Country Music central. So I am looking to get a gig as an engineer to help fuel my hip hop addiction.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Part time... hopefully soon to be Full-Time. I am moving to Nashville in about two months. I guess they are the music capital of the US but that's because it is Gospel and Country Music central. So I am looking to get a gig as an engineer to help fuel my hip hop addiction.

Ive heard great things about nashville. Apparently the desinty of record label offices, studios and other music firms is the highest in the world. Everywhere you go, you can drop off a demo, but probably has to be country music lol.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Absolutely...

When I previewed the city to see if I wanted to live there, I drove down music road. It is an old neighborhood that was converted to a business district. So it is kinda wierd because you are driving around all these houses that have been turned into music company offices. And all the mojars have an office there. Sony, EMI, etc. I'll take fotos next time I go.

And yes... if it ain't country or gospel, they ain't even check'n for it. I'll see if I can't dig up one or two hip hop spots and infiltrate. Maybe I can open some doors up for some of us illmuzik heads.

But as far as full-time goes... I am really going to try and see if I can dedicate my time to this. It is a struggle. That's why I envy these young cats that have so much time on their hands. Like ASH was saying, you got that 9-5 and then you come home to your setup and try to get it out of you before you lose it. It's hard. I am working two jobs right now so I steal every moment I can to try to cut samples and make beats and stuff.

Voo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
there is a WHOLE lot more hip-hop in nashville than you think.

That's a music town - all music.

Vandy is a goldmine.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
I was hoping that wasn't the case. I didn't want to move out there and get choked out by the competition.

So you full time or part time VOO?

Voo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
haha! well, its not like that where the comp is overwhelming. What I ment was that there are plenty of consumers. And a pretty healthy little scene up that way.

Part-time - I'm an emcee first and foremost.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
Part time, got school and a part-time job to earn some cash, hardly anybody here can live from making music only. Only a few hiphop groups have this as a full-time job here.

O

open mind

Anybody here can do it, if they have the right hustle. This business is not meant for everyone. The majority of people can't handle it, and the industry spits them out very quickly. I see it all the time.

wutup swiv? :) yo u are one of the few cats here that made it very far.what do u think are the 3 most important attributes that one should have to handle this biz?

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Wattup.

Well, working in the studio, to start out,

1. Be willing to work for free
2. Keep your mouth shut (the dont speak unless spoken to rule can really go a long way here)
3. Work as many hours as possible to prove how hungry you are. I was doing 120 hour weeks unpaid when I started

I guess if there was 1 overall rule for the music industry, would be have a thick skin. People are gonna try to fuck you. That's the business. Just deal with it, brush the dirt off your shoulder and keep it movin.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Wattup.

2. Keep your mouth shut (the dont speak unless spoken to rule can really go a long way here)
3. Work as many hours as possible to prove how hungry you are. I was doing 120 hour weeks unpaid when I started

I guess if there was 1 overall rule for the music industry, would be have a thick skin. People are gonna try to fuck you. That's the business. Just deal with it, brush the dirt off your shoulder and keep it movin.

120 hours a week unpaid!!! Thats some next level grind! How were you copping financially with no money coming in?

Jason7564

ill o.g.
Wattup.

Thanks for the advice. I think what you said was something we should all take into account.

I was just wondering though, where did you learn all the things you needed to to be in the position you're in right now? I mean I'm in the situation right now where I'm pretty sure I want to go to university n study music technology. I'm guessing that you learnt from working "for free" as you put it, but if not let us know.

As for part time / full time ... I'm a student so part time (n I gotta say it's fucking up my grades I shouldnt be doin this right now).

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
Wattup.

Word to "big bird" on the keep your mouth shut. That was my biggest problem. I always had to put my two pennies in. I was a young "knucklehead". Keeping your mouth shut and listening is key. I had a problem with people i knew i was better than trying to tell me how to do this and how to do that. The game is 90% "demeanor". If you the cat that always popping off, everybody will know. That mess gets you nowhere. Especially if you a "unknown". Word on the putting in those hours. You got to get out and put in that footwork. Not to be funny, but you can't be on "Myspace" all day and think that's grindin'. Not to take anything away from the internet, that helps, but you got to get out to those local functions. The "open mics", "producer conventions", etc...This game is a constant hustle, there's no breaks, because when you sleep, there's tens of thousands of up and coming producers there to take your spot. So with that being said, you have to ask yourself if this is something you really want to do...

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
120 hours a week unpaid!!! Thats some next level grind! How were you copping financially with no money coming in?

I was not in the greatest position financially, but I found a way to make it work. I was livin on the bare minimum. If you want it bad enough, you'll always find a way to make it work

As for Jason's question. I went to school for engineering. And of course I do my production thing as well.

members online