Funky Ass Basslines

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
One thing I notice that separates great beats from average ones is the quality of the bassline. A lot of times I hear some great sample flips with just some drums and this neck breaking element is completely forgotten and left out. I'm not saying every beat always needs one or it has to be over the top but when that lower end is missing and there isn't enough in the sample or composition to hold it's own, it can take some serious style points from the beat.

I basically started this thread to discuss everything bassy that isn't the kick drum. I would invite anyone to post songs from some of their favorite producers with killer bassline examples. Post techniques for fattening up the sound or how you like to keep things from getting too muddy.

Here are some examples from producers I think know their basslines.

Eric Sermon - This guy knows what's up. In the example I put up it's just drums, the bassline, and a bit of guitar mostly. Very simple beat but damn!

Thes One - I got a speeding ticket when I was listening to this song once. Why? That bassline is why. Once again an extremely simple yet effective beat.

Kev Brown - This guy isn't called the king of basslines for nothing. In this track it's not the key element but without it this beat wouldn't be nearly as good.

Oddisee - This guy is another fire producer. The bassline in this beat is chill and just right.

Anyways, that should be enough for you to see where I'm going with this. Lets see some crazy basslines.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I play bass guitar but I rarely use live composed baslines, right now I just don't have the space for it at home. I definitely know where you're coming from though. Alot of times, when I chop up a sample, it leaves open spots in the bassline and I fill it in with boobass in FL. I try to make it as subtle as I can to keep the flow but then again, it's very easy to pull a joint off without one. It just depends on what I'm feeling at the time for me. I'll post up some of my favorites tomorrow, I'm not on my PC, I'm on my PS3 right now =)

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Since Relic said that Kanye was my role model...this bassline is fucking crazy...

And of course...a personal friend of mine...had to represent..

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
A few of my favorite basslines...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3chkLMi9-JI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3chkLMi9-JI[/ame]

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Lol.. Dac we both picked Slam from Onyx... That bassline is serious...

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44

Edit: This too. Top5 fav beat/productions

members online