FUTURE OF PRODUCTION? Open Labs...

D

davedaze

First of all im new to this board let me introduce myself im 18yrs old been producing for about 2 yrs.

Alright up until now i was saving up money to buy a 61 key semi weighted or fully weighted usb controller for reason and then maybe get some sound module's and hook it up with cubase.But Then i hear about the Neko from Soundlabs which allows u to basically rip sounds off of a sound module or a motif,triton etc and save them onto the keyboard aswell as the interface of the motif, triton etc. and still upload cubase onto the onboard computer so no need for an outsice pc since i was planning on buying a new pc( mines sucks) is the Neko the future of production?

Im waiting to see if these thing are gonna crash or have some type system problems.

BTW Timbaland uses this he got rid of most of his sound racks for this.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
its probably the future of production in the sense that everything is heading to people using an all in one solution more and more but the neko itself isn't that brilliant for the money you can get better stuff ! you can buy a £100 e-mu sound card and program that rip sounds the same as the neko !

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
WOW

that thing is BALLER!!!

i think this is the one you are referring to.??..

Well IMO i would stick with your original plan because this peice of equit is expensive, so what if it can rip the sounds you can find refills that will be the same anyways plus its cheaper with reason and a keyboard.

you could buy six reasons and keyboard with that much money,

the future of music is the artist not the equipment.

PZ

Attachments

• 486057.jpg
    486057.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 157

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the neko is best suited for people that are going to tour/move around a lot. otherwise if youre doing bedroom beatmaking, you can pretty much get a neko just by buying a fast spec PC, firebox interface, midikeyboard, emulator x, sampletank and or Kontakt and some synth VSTs...a bunch of em are freeware on the neko u can get off kvraudio if im not mistaken. Timbo recorded his racks that he already had, u can do that with emulator x if you have access to the hardware or search ebay for sample cds from people that have already done it. to be honest, if you have sampletank, kontakt, and or emulator x there really would be no need to own those modules...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
kojo said it perfectly, the neko is only really useful if you're touring and need everything you have in your studio on the road.

by the way tim does not use the neko at his home studio, he uses it for road purposes. tim still only uses an asr-10 and a m audio ozonic for midi in his home based studio.

also theres already stuff out there (that doesn't cost 6k) that rips sound modules...there's a program for logic thats about 100 bucks that does the exact same things and gives you an entire board/synth/or module right in your logic sampler. ppl need to stop worrying about big flashy lights on this thing and worry about making music, you know? 6k for a freaking computer that doesn't even come w logic, cubase or pro tools...not a good deal in my book.

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
kojo said it perfectly, the neko is only really useful if you're touring and need everything you have in your studio on the road.

by the way tim does not use the neko at his home studio, he uses it for road purposes. tim still only uses an asr-10 and a m audio ozonic for midi in his home based studio.

also theres already stuff out there (that doesn't cost 6k) that rips sound modules...there's a program for logic thats about 100 bucks that does the exact same things and gives you an entire board/synth/or module right in your logic sampler. ppl need to stop worrying about big flashy lights on this thing and worry about making music, you know? 6k for a freaking computer that doesn't even come w logic, cubase or pro tools...not a good deal in my book.

that thing is 6k???!!! ah hell nah lol, i thought it was like 2 or 3, yikes.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
that thing is 6k???!!! ah hell nah lol, i thought it was like 2 or 3, yikes.

Neko 64 with a single Opteron 64-bit 1.4GHz processor, 512MB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, CD-RW, software bundle and touchscreen; US $5495 (£2970).
Neko 64 with dual Opteron 64-bit 1.4GHz processing, 512MB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, CD-RW, software bundle and touchscreen; US $6000 (£3240).
Neko 64 with dual Opteron 64-bit 2GHz processing, 512MB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, CD-RW, software bundle and touchscreen; US $8600 (£4650).

8600 with only 512 of ram and an 80 gig hard drive and no dvdr!! These dudes are on some shi*! you can get a 8 core mac pro with 2 gigs of ram and a terabyte of storage for just over half that, and macs are suposed to be expensive.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
as i said, especially if you go the normal pc route, you can get what kojo described, with way more than double the ram, storage, and way more processing power for about half that top of the line neko.

D

davedaze

Neko 64 with a single Opteron 64-bit 1.4GHz processor, 512MB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, CD-RW, software bundle and touchscreen; US $5495 (£2970).
Neko 64 with dual Opteron 64-bit 1.4GHz processing, 512MB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, CD-RW, software bundle and touchscreen; US $6000 (£3240).
Neko 64 with dual Opteron 64-bit 2GHz processing, 512MB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, CD-RW, software bundle and touchscreen; US $8600 (£4650).

8600 with only 512 of ram and an 80 gig hard drive and no dvdr!! These dudes are on some shi*! you can get a 8 core mac pro with 2 gigs of ram and a terabyte of storage for just over half that, and macs are suposed to be expensive.

One more thing I was looking on the website and the new gen3 nekoLX has 4 gigs of ram 2x250gb hard drives with dvdr for 6,000$ including the software. The specs you got are for the earlier models that first came out.Is it still too pricey? I think the cost will turn out to be the same if i were to get a 8 core mac pro, 61 key semi weighted controller an emu-soundcard and emulator-x.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
u right man, my bad. i mean do you homie, its your studio. i just personally think this neko thing is really only ideal for a traveling pro producer. you get that mac pro and you've got a completely scalable piece of hardware and 64 bit processing (i believe on the mac pro you can replace processors down the line, and it can hold 16 gigs of ram and more than 3 terabytes of internal storage). also bear in mind this thing's screen isn't gonna be adequate over the long term when you start messing with serious mixing, arranging and software...i have a 17 inch mac pro laptop and the screen is adequate but when im in logic it definitely is too small, so i'm getting an additional 20 inch this summer. personally i'd get cramped on that lil monitor, and you gotta be leaning over the board to see it? ehh..i dont know.

also 6k is still a lot btw...that mac pro i was talking about earlier would run ya around 4600 or so i think...and thats 8 cores, which is absurdly powerful...if you went with a 4 core 2 duo setup, its about a g less right there.

D

davedaze

Im sure that another company in the near futre or maybe even open labs will make a better one there always is and it probably will be the future of production one day but yeah your right a mac is made to last aswell as work good. I was just wondering if this thing was really that good for the price.

breal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
for 6k u could get a killer hardware setup with some real analog synths .. i dont care what anyone says .. no softsynth sounds like a moog or an se ... NONE ..

A motif no but a moog I say yes.I thing one of the reason why we don't see any
emulations of a motif is because Yamaha will never get behind it as long as
they keep selling as many hardware units as they do.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
A motif no but a moog I say yes.I thing one of the reason why we don't see any
emulations of a motif is because Yamaha will never get behind it as long as
they keep selling as many hardware units as they do.

ash is right man...there is absolutely no comparison between softsynths and real analogue VA's. moog, andromeda, virus...you simply cannot get that sound out of software.

there also wouldn't be motif emulations because the motif doesn't synthesise, it is a rompler, very diff things.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you can download samples online of different hardwares and see first hand how the quality can't be captured in emulation. in hardware these sounds are being actively/dynamically made and are not simple samples being replayed when you hit a key. Trust me I've spent days looking for a substitute for the 808 but samples simply can't do that.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When I was working with Polow last year he used it. Overall it looks dope, but it is pricey. This is something I would get if money weren't an issue just to have.

swivel thats dope man. i know you can't be giving away big secrets or anything but whats polow's creative process like? i've read a bunch of interviews with people who've worked with him who say he's got a very original process, but they never say anything more about it. i really respect his work cause none of his tracks sound the same.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
It just looked like lil jon signed on...he is in an ad in the newest scratch.....most the reveiws i have read on it state the same thing that sum have said here....that its a cool concept,but save money and just get a real fast comp with a midi comtroller

members online