G4, Alienware, Dell, etc..

ill o.g.
what's up everyone, i know this has already been discussed but i wanted to start it fresh. i'm flirting with the idea of adding a laptop to the mix (been using a couple dell desktops). Not to sure of what to get... everywhere i'm looking i'm seeing the backs of apple powerbooks, but i'm hearing alienware is decent, and i'm already a dell user. I'm looking for some feedback from all of you as to what you like. It's been awhile since i've been on an apple but i'm sure i could learn. So, if you were to put something together within reason, upwards of 2500 or less, what would you do spec-wise? I'm also unfamiliar with the specs of apple as i know they differ from that of the pc. sorry for the redundancy, it's easier to spell it out when you start your own thread. thx and peace to all~ Sub-Con

oh yeah, recs on external soundcards??

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Apple G5 and a motu, any motu. If you want a powerbook I'd check for the psu as it seems theres been some troubles with firewire items (like audio interfaces) caused by the psu.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Since you may have a small learning curve going the apple way, I would stick with the pc platform. The apples are a good investment but if your talking $2500 to get an apple plus a good audio interface that may be pushing it. I don't know all the prices so you'd have to check. To be honest with you I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 (2GB of ram 1.7ghz cpu, 200 GB external hard drive) and for a little while I was using that setup when I wanted to do mobile recording, etc and it worked fine (using ableton live, fl studio, etc).

The laptop cost me $800 on ebay and I upgraded the ram to 2GB I can use the same audio interface my desktop uses the rme multiface. Just my opinion there are others.

ill o.g.
thx for the feedback architect...no problems with a slow processor on the inspiron? asking just because my parents have one and i can't remember the speed but i'm sure it would be slow with music production. take care man

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I have the 1.7ghz inspiron 6000 but I also compensated by having a lot of ram in the system. I just used that as an example that you don't have to necessarily have to get specialized equipment to do audio recording these days, good hardware is getting more affordable everyday.

If you can afford the apple and a good audio interface definitely check it out, also check out the Sony Vaio a lot of peeps use those for mobile recording. Some of the HP Pavilions I forget which model, but those are good too. It's also going to depend on exactly what you need to do on the laptop that warrants more or less power. The alienware stuff is good but expensive and as heavy as those units are you may as well be carrying around a desktop, but the power you get is good. There is always a trade off, check the specs you'll find something good.