General Pc Networking Question??

30CRATES

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 22
Does Anyone Know Anything About Networking 2 Pc's Using A Cross Over Cable? Im Running 2 Pc's With Win 98 Se, And I Tried Playing Around With The Various Neighborhood Network Settings But I Cannot Get This Shit To Work. I Have Logic Audio Platinum On Both Pcs However I Sequence With One, And Work With My Audio Files On The Faster Pc. On My Faster Pc, There Seems To Be Some Sort Of Glitch With The Sequencing Because The Metronome Plays Faster Than It Should, So I Just Do All Sequencing In The Older Pc.

Anyway , Ultimately What I Want To Do Is Open My Sequences In The Faster Pc,without Having To Burn Them To A Disc By Means Of File Transfer. Also I Can Sort Of Use My Older Pc For File Storage.

So Far I Have........1. Connected Cross Over Cable To Ethernet Jax On Both Pcs, 2. Enabled File Sharing For Both "c" Drives........still Nothing! Tried Playing Around With The Settings In Control Panel For Win ( Network ) But Still Not Working. Can Someone Help Me Out

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Just a couple of things, make sure you have both of your NICs set up with the same settings...
Full duplex and probably 10MBps
then make sure you have both of your computers set up in the same workgroup(that way you should be able to browse your machine using netbios, but if you set them up with tcp you can can assign some bogus ip addresses in the range of like 10.0.0.1 & 10.0.0.2 (both examples but usable)
then I would use 1 of the ip's as the gateway ip to so they can talk, but you are using the microsoft client you won't need to use ip they should see each other within the workgroups with netbios (Microsoft communications protocol)
also if you can't get it to work I would spend like 15 dollars on a hub, your crossover cable might be bad.....
try those out and then you should be good to go man!

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
i dont know much about hooking it up that way........but another idea is to setup a ftp on one of the computers and transfer the files that way......but thats only if u have both pc's connected to the net

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
I gotcha...

Get a 4-port hub, connect both RJ-45 cables to the hub (install whatever software that comes with the hub) go to Network Neighborhood find other PC, if it doesn't show up try refreshing Network Neighborhood. Any more questions...pm me.

members online