Getting a west coast synth sound?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
jayhoffa...
a) you must not be from the west coast
b) read the rules homie

LOL, I never undertood why people come on to a producer site trying to sell us beats..
BEATS?? Beats?? Oh you mean like this stack o disks and shit I've been making since 97 type of beats?? You mean like these 4 gigs of flash cards type of beats??? You mean like my 500 friends on here get a beat for a project 1000 times hotter than what you are trying to sell me but for free as long as I get them dough if it blow type of beats???

SURE! (BUZZER)

IMO it is okay to pay homage to the past, I always do. But the skill comes from taking something from the past and bringing it into now. Its also about innovation and doing things differently.
I say instead of copying the past, try to build on it, take it into the future.
As pointed out by Agent Smith, I have found a mono saw to be the best sound to tune to get that west coast synth. I think the synth goes back to George Clinton, Im not sure.
I dont think that trying to sound like Dre is the best thing, although I have done it myself in the past and learned a lot from trying to imitate others, I think in the competetive world we live, the emphasis needs to be on originality/innovation, to stand out from the oversaturated bandwagons of wannabe Dre's/Primo's/Dilla's etc.
Just my opinion, but I wouldnt knock experimenting with others styles as once you know how they did it, then you can build on it and take it to the next level.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I'ma roll on those westcoast/Zapp & Roger sounds... I wanna do some 70s west coast funk. Some popping music (like the dance style)...

T

TheMost

damn you guys are hard ( no homo)
The game does pretty good numbers for a westcoast dude tho.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
the game is a fuckin punk ho buster. but yes, he does decent numbers (or has up till now).

here's the problem with the west coast. people that aren't even on yet are beefing endlessly to the point where it looks like bad business to fuck with the west coast. there are groups out here though that have a new take on the west coast including those producers that i've previously mentioned. i personally think the west coast isn't gonna rise to noteriety like it once did AS A COAST but i do think there will be a resurgence of talent from here on a national scale.

no one is a bigger fan of p-funk and bootsy collins than me though and i must say i still use that moog bass sound...that being said i do try to flip it into something fresh...
the question you need to ask yourself is, "does the game need another __________?" be it a beat, sound, rapper or whatever.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
There was a time when originality and real innovation was praised and admired, what the fuck happened?

These days you have to be IN THE GAME in order to change it.

Yes I think it's great to develop your own sound, but the powers that be are very apprehensive about taking the risk.

So if he wants to make a lil jon beat...let him be.....as long as it puts $ in his pocket (hopefully), why comment about his creativity (or lack thereof)?

damn you guys are hard ( no homo)
The game does pretty good numbers for a westcoast dude tho.

He does...but I think it's because the West doesn't have another mainstream artist who spits "hard"......his protege Juice sounds a lot like him.... (sat in a session with dude...got a beat with him as well).

T

TheMost

LEt me hear it, im down with Juice hes a good rapper

I think Jay rock is pretty good as well

BAdlucc has potential.

T

TheMost

i know bad lucc---good guy. he definitely has potential--check out his crew westurn union for an example of one side of the current west sound. soopafly does a lot of their beats (kind of death row-ish but updated).

Of course! I have the mixtape with Dj Crazy tunes its awsome. LIke yuo said a updated westcoast.
CRazy tunes is a crazy dj too i love his style ofc cutting and mixing in movie clips.

Im taking part of a compilation i have a thread about it in the promo spot. Bad lucc will be on it with a few other westcoast guys.

T

TheMost

IM trying to remember some names im in the east lots of westcoast and down south guy.

I know we got knoc and his brother on the first single , his bro is called jaguar. BAd lucc is on a track, Game is featured on a track by jay holiday,XL Middleton, Sha Stimuli, Yung O, Scarface protege Spark Dawg, Trick Trick are some names i know and rememeber