getting paid...

• beat this! voting starts in...
Here's a story that if nothing else, is pretty hilarious...

Guy makes dog shit beat 2 years ago:

Despite being shit, he puts up for distribution...

Someone on Tiktok quits their job and lazily searches 'i quit my job' to have a song for their 'Story'...

Other people follow suit and copy the record from him...

AND...
1638908357293.png

Previously i've used Soundcloud 'Repost' to distribute the odd tune i've made onto Spotify and Amazon music-one of my songs has managed close to 2000 streams on Spotify and that's the height of my meagre acheivments to date.
But who knows, some influencer might throw it on TikTok and i'd start getting paid?

I've decided to grind out something a bit more thoughtful and have signed up to PRS music so that i can get an IPI code, clear samples, and properly distribute my works- 'cus you never know when something could strike a chord eh?

Thoughts etc?

The full podcast is here for those who are interested-

The guy who runs the Podcast, 'IAMSIGHT' is a bit of a hero in my oppinion-watch him easily recreate Premier's 'Boom' on his MPC Live-

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Yeah @nottr IAMSIGHT has some dope vids as I watch/have watched some when I make time but more importantly peeps need to have quality control in today's era but at the same time refuse to have artistic constipation i.e. wait 'til things are "perfect" e.g. circumstances to release something.

I'ma at least commit over time to complete ideas and release in private mode to track personal progress/growth.

Also if you can, try not to sample as clearance can be/is a pain in the ass, not that I know.

Im doing pretty much the same things, about to get my PRS sorted out eventually, trying to look into sync opportunities and putting together some releases to put on spotify.
Have to get our music out there properly if its ever to be found. Getting heard at all regardless of how good my music might be at any particular time has always been the biggest hurdle for me. Im putting together a beat tape to send to artists and I might just release it as an instrumental album for spotify.

It just makes me think "Build it and they will come", when I had my website years ago, I was getting 100 plays every day, and another 100 a day on myspace. Now I really struggle to get into double figures a day. These numbers never translated into profit, but then I wasn't in it for profit then. I hadn't spent the absolute fortune on my hobby as I have now. Now I know my knowledge and experience is worth something and I really need to make some money to build my home studio properly, this music gear is fucking expensive.

I have found the best way to get people to listen to your music is to listen to theirs. Most of my fans make music themselves. But its time consuming. Thats why ill is a great place to get feedback, get inspired and move our craft forwards.

But ultimately, if you want to win the lottery you have to buy a ticket, if you want somebody to use your music in their productions, then you have to get your music into the places where that is more likely to happen. Hence me getting into sync and trying to get my music onto libraries for those opportunities. Still early days yet so cant really say how thats going.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@nottr who are the other producers in the YT thumbnail?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Man @nottr speaking of "Dad Beats" I have in my head an idea, PM me.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I'm @2GooD Productions bringing to the ILL soon a sync licensing expert (YouTube "Anthony Clint Jr.")

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
No @nottr kids in my future, either.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Entering @nottr comps is a move I'll make gradually :)

Im doing pretty much the same things, about to get my PRS sorted out eventually, trying to look into sync opportunities and putting together some releases to put on spotify.
Have to get our music out there properly if its ever to be found. Getting heard at all regardless of how good my music might be at any particular time has always been the biggest hurdle for me. Im putting together a beat tape to send to artists and I might just release it as an instrumental album for spotify.

It just makes me think "Build it and they will come", when I had my website years ago, I was getting 100 plays every day, and another 100 a day on myspace. Now I really struggle to get into double figures a day. These numbers never translated into profit, but then I wasn't in it for profit then. I hadn't spent the absolute fortune on my hobby as I have now. Now I know my knowledge and experience is worth something and I really need to make some money to build my home studio properly, this music gear is fucking expensive.

I have found the best way to get people to listen to your music is to listen to theirs. Most of my fans make music themselves. But its time consuming. Thats why ill is a great place to get feedback, get inspired and move our craft forwards.

But ultimately, if you want to win the lottery you have to buy a ticket, if you want somebody to use your music in their productions, then you have to get your music into the places where that is more likely to happen. Hence me getting into sync and trying to get my music onto libraries for those opportunities. Still early days yet so cant really say how thats going.
Couldn't agree more-build it and they will come.
Communicating and feeding back to the rest of the community is a great way to make sure your own stuff gets heard-but correct, it is cumbersome.
Let me know how you get on with it all-I've already filled out the forms and sent off to PRS who hopefully before Xmas can start clearing samples and getting a new beat tape up.
I'll be using Submithub to get it around some online publications, God forbid 'Influencers-(yuck)-and online radio stations. My most successful beats on spotify have been adopted on to playlists for gamers and the like. It is'nt cheap but i've done a few extra shifts to cover the cost of it all-i'm lucky with my job that i can take these shifts short notice and they pay well.
Not to mention i won numerous bets recently to the value of around 1000 quid :).
What are these sync opportunities? Something i should be looking into?

Couldn't agree more-build it and they will come.
Communicating and feeding back to the rest of the community is a great way to make sure your own stuff gets heard-but correct, it is cumbersome.
Let me know how you get on with it all-I've already filled out the forms and sent off to PRS who hopefully before Xmas can start clearing samples and getting a new beat tape up.
I'll be using Submithub to get it around some online publications, God forbid 'Influencers-(yuck)-and online radio stations. My most successful beats on spotify have been adopted on to playlists for gamers and the like. It is'nt cheap but i've done a few extra shifts to cover the cost of it all-i'm lucky with my job that i can take these shifts short notice and they pay well.
Not to mention i won numerous bets recently to the value of around 1000 quid :).
What are these sync opportunities? Something i should be looking into?
Sync is basically music for films, games, adverts, videos, etc. Libraries store your music and make it available to people that might want to use them in their productions.
Over all the years, the amount of beats Ive made with an emcee is a tiny fraction of my work, I dont want that music to go to waste so would like to pursue options as instrumentals, sync is perfect for that IMO.