Getting Your Beats in Movies

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I'm curious to know why or at least gain feedback on why the majority of hip-hop beatmakers dont' go full-speed at the film and television industry. There's a lot of producers trying to do mixtapes, and somehow get Young Jeezy and T.I. on a track, but in all my travels this year I haven't met more than (let's say) 20 up-and-coming producers with any sort of clue towards dealing in film.
If I asked 100 producers, would you rather have the top 3 rappers rap over your beats or have 3 of your beats appear on the soundtrack of a B-level movie, 98 of them would choose the rappers every time.

A recent example from my very own city (I'm proud to say) is Darkroom Productions.
They made a mixtape based on HBO's The Wire and the producers of The Wire got hold of it and chose a bunch of tracks from the mixtape to appear on the actual show.Ever since they got placement on HBO's The Wire, I swear that they can't turn their mpc ON without being featured in Fader and many other popular publications and sites.

Is it a case on simply not knowing how to approach or build with directors?

Is it lack of knowledge of the film industry?

If its that PLEASE ask me.

In my latest blog post, I briefly touch on it. Based on questions and responses I see, I'm looking to go in depth with this one and make it a Blowing Up article.

Independent Film - The Producer's Goldmine

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I've actually thought about going that way instead of getting signed. I would rather have my music featured on video games and movies/t.v. scores then to put an album out in all honesty. Earlier this year I was going to sign up for TAXI.COM and go from there,but I didn't have the funds to do so.. In all honesty though, i don't know where else to start. I thought of that website because I've heard good things from there. I would love to get some other tips on how to pursue this route, it would be a BIG help Sha.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
I don't know, it seems like an easier market to break into... and you don't really need that "buzz" to get a song on a movie/t.v. program.

StraDivaRius

So determined....
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 94
This is based on my personal experiences.

1- It is like an other music business area, hard as hell to pierce. Lots of competition but it is not flooded with "laff taffy' beats yet.

2- Again its a who you know and a who knows you business.

3- NO SAMPLES, especially in the small to no budget films, this is critical.

I've had a few beats placed in local movieshere, and in upcoming video games (sorry this one i can't disclose....trust me I hate people who do this but now I understand why)

All of those connections came from one guy, I did 4 songs on his Final University film project for free and did some sound design for another animation he did. All for free and now this guy is like a walking business card for me plugs me in any chance he gets.

My tips:
Go to local Univ. Film or communication departement, and post up a sign, look up on craigslist in your city under the gig section. Like shadeed said go to movie and theater premier and chat up the people. You would be amazed at how receptive the people are on premier night.

I work in a hotel and I was talking to one of the guest and one thing led to another. Let me find out that this guys is the head man in charge of previsualisation for Spielberg. He was telling me that the always add audio and songs even if its only previs. just to get an idea, sometimes the song makes it in the actual feature film. Now, I got access to that guys ear anytime.

my 2 cents

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
hiphop is specifically limited.. commercial music production has not only more options, but also is not as confining as the term"commercial" initially stained this field..

competition is fierce though.. after hearing sam ocks last beat, i thought of him for this :)

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
I'm not even talking about just beats though, I would like to get my full songs up on something. I agree 100% on the sample thing though... they like it better when it's 100% original and composed.

This is an avenue I have been seriously considering.
I was even offered a contract to make my library available for production music.
I refused the contract down to the wording used in the contract, I may have made a mistake, but I can live with that.
I will push the promotion of myself to publishers, management & agencies in the new year.
Its about time I stuck my head down and worked hard on getting myself in with the right people.
Im saving up for my PRS(Performing Rights Society) membership, but its pretty expensive. But its also a necessity.
Thats gonna set me back £400, I have most of that saved up.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I thought compititon for that was worse than getting signed.

From what I see from my own personal examples in tv and film and in working w/ different examples I've come across, the "hardest" part for a lot of hip-hop guys is learning the rules and the ropes of a different industry and then expanding their sound and talent to provide music for various projects.

If you really break it down, as a hip-hop producer you can approach 100 managers and artists, and be involved in the music scene and still not get any prominent placements (making money as a producer is a whole nother animal)

If you're in and around movie sets, casting calls, and film premieres, and you're talking to directors, agents, etc. I really can't see how you won't eventually get placement if you're willing compose original work.

You can put out 52 mixtapes (and I know quite a few DJs that have a discography that large)
and still be "just a DJ".

If you have music in 52 films (hypothetically speaking), you will have a career, because the film world is a closed loop to "outsiders".

StraDivaRius

So determined....
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 94
You can put out 52 mixtapes (and I know quite a few DJs that have a discography that large)
and still be "just a DJ".

If you have music in 52 films (hypothetically speaking), you will have a career, because the film world is a closed loop to "outsiders".

So true!!!