Ghetto Child (J Dilla Type Beat)

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 6
I think it does sound like a Dilla-esque beat. The kick, the bass and in particularly the snare are very much his sound - although I've said before I really despise "type beats" for so many reasons.

It doesn't have that groove. Just a groove, nothing to do with Dilla. It's a nod back and forth but without the shoulders moving. I think it might be the timing. Have you given the drums a little swing?

The bass seems a little flimsy for me. The actual sound of it is dope and very much like Dilla. However it's like it's dropping in intermittently with no real intent or purpose. I think it's the 3 - 4 tiny stab parts. For the most part you knew where Dilla's bassline was because he would often use it like a lead or certainly give it the same prominence. This is one of the reasons I hate type-beats - I end up drawing comparisons!

Again the actual drum sounds are dope but for me they just need a little movement to them. A little swing. Could be that you need to move the samples instead just to give it that groove. Have you got compression on the drums? I'd like just a little bit more high end on the snare, maybe just a little reverb would give it that swing or hi hat or 2 nestled in between.

Still love the beat though and think you should work and re-work until this is perfect.

Nice one
Hosie

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
@hosie Hey man thanks for the in depth feedback. The drums were all played live on a keyboard so I was swinging them just a little bit. The problem with swinging the drums too much is that they start rubbing against the sample weird.

Thanks brother

members online