Gimme back my mojo.................

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Ugh... I think its because I am waiting so long to get the new setup setup however.....

We all get it and its on me for a minute now.... BEATBLOCK
As well as writers block ....

I have been trying to go back to stuff I have been working on but never finished and work on it (lots of that). which I think may be the ticket, if nothing else it gets older stuff completed.

But as I listen to some of this stuff I feel like "meh" nothing really grabbin me.

The mpc is limiting in lots of ways when it comes to composition as the pads only pitch up and down and that not just changes the pitch but also speeds a tone up or down.
I need my keyboard back onboard.

Perhaps I need to just learn the midi part of my mp and plug it in, I dont know Im ready to start working with RTAS or whatever....

Point being Im listening to all your projects ( yes kp review is coming) and its inspiring up until the moment I sit down in front of my gear.. Then everything just turns to "meh".
Working with loops is only so fun then it just becomes this cheating feeling lol.

I ramble but any suggestions on how to get my mojo back?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Take a break, listen to 100% new music that you have never heard before. Maybe even another genre. Trying something different creatively. One thing you can try is get a magazine and rip out two random pages, (make sure they both have people on them) then write a short story on how they are connected.

Get out and go for a 20 minute walk every day with NO mp3 player and be left to your thoughts.

Read new books that you never would have read before.

Maybe take up playing a new instrument.

Go to a new part of town you have never been to, go to a new coffee shop and talk to a stranger and make sure it is someone that you never would have normally talked to. It also helps if they have TOTALLY different views from you.

I have more ideas if you need them.

Sometimes you just need a break and that's ok. But it does come back easier than you would think.

But I had better see your new album on itunes before the year is over or I will come down there and kick your southern ASS!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hear ya. It's difficult sometimes, me too I get ready to make a beat then I just lose interest. It happens. Right now what I'm trying to do is to actually set aside a block of time to work on just music, and force myself to at least get in the routine of doing just that. Then eventually the creativity will come.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Relic....what I do is....

Find a classic rock station or album....zone the fuck out....

Then listen to Sucio beats!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
DreamPolice has good advise. Part of my problem was I completely didnt care, Totally uninspired by everything. What snapped me out was I dropped my standards, I said f**k it, If my ish gon be wack and useless. I'ma rock w/ it regardless. Like when I first made beats, I knew it wasnt up to par but I didnt care cause I was gonna make it seem like it was dope. The inspiration came from me being a "asshole" instead of "I want to make a dope beat/song"

Maybe rediscover what made you want to make beats and write in the first place...?

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i'm in the same boat as you. what i have noticed is that i was more creative and inspired when i had people in the lab with me. not a bunch of random mfs, but a couple close friends. back then we just used to vibe and come up with shit. don't do any of that anymore, and i'm completely uninspired to do anything. i did hang out with the old crew recently, and felt a little more inspired, but of course we weren't working on beats at the time.

I find the whole production process a bit of a pain in the arse these days, once you reach a certain standard its really hard to maintain that standard time and time again. But if I cant maintain a decent standard I start to get the hump with myself and quickly lose interest. And having just run out of beat fuel(bag of weed) and not being able to replenish supplies is really going to kill my MOJO.
I dont know yet if Im gonna be able to make music while not being stoned, it hasnt worked before, so this could possibly be the end of my musical pursuits.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Going through a similar thing right now, my main issue is that my PC is all sorts of fucked up. It's running Windows XP Media Center. What a shitty OS.
What I need to do is reformat and install regular XP (or Win 7), we'll see how that works out (or when I have the time and motivation to do it).

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
I seriosuly hate producers block, it's very discouraging! However there are a lot of good suggestions to help overcome it in this thread, hope your on the road to recovery bro

members online