GO-GO and VSU homecoming

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
For my MD, DC, VA peeps, Gogo is on the rise once again, and the Backyard Band (BIG G now playing on the WIRE) is leading the way, they were supposed to be at a show Fri. for the VSu Homecoming but they went to NC A&T instead heard it was ridiculous down there in Greensboro, Petersburg sucks but we had a good time anyhoo, my man boned this 40 yr old alumni chick looking for some young dick, I banged out my lil African that lives in Richmond, dj's at the parties were wack, plenty of bitches in the club, bartenders sucked, and I got a chance to politic with a local rapper from the group Illyaas who went to VSU, check out the New Dimension Band, Mumbo Sauce Band (HU), Op Tribe, all make regular shows in VA, the GOLD Bowl is next weekend when state plays VUU, afterparty with NDB, and 3rd Dimension Band, get at me BIG D!!!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey man I feel you!!! I am Trying to Get BiG G on one of my tracks he is a legend and so is BackYard....
http://www.vipradio.com/jamroom/bands/28/ I know this isn't the showcase but check out number 7!!! that's the Track I want him on , Yeah I heard about him landing the role on The Wire that's big man....my old Girl was a Cheerleader back i the day at VSU.....but look Imma have very big news in the next week or two on the production front man........but also that beat #7 is why I love MPC's you can make the drums have a live feel to em, and I can play congas and drums so it's natural to simulate a full gogo band with an MPC.....and make it sound convincingly like a live band...

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Hey man I feel you!!! I am Trying to Get BiG G on one of my tracks he is a legend and so is BackYard....
http://www.vipradio.com/jamroom/bands/28/ I know this isn't the showcase but check out number 7!!! that's the Track I want him on , Yeah I heard about him landing the role on The Wire that's big man....my old Girl was a Cheerleader back i the day at VSU.....but look Imma have very big news in the next week or two on the production front man........but also that beat #7 is why I love MPC's you can make the drums have a live feel to em, and I can play congas and drums so it's natural to simulate a full gogo band with an MPC.....and make it sound convincingly like a live band...

I'm gonna check that track out soon as I get off!!! Keeep those hi hat cymbals open!
haha I got about 3-4 gogo tracks to Big D. that nigga Los is a better rapper than Big G but G is a better hype man, that's funny what you said about the MPC, I did my tracks on a EPS but I didn't quantisize the kick to give it that natural feel, I haven't posted anything to soundclick in about a year, but I'm gonna have to update you guys on some new shit I've been rocking, and my folks say it's hitting, I know for a fact Kanye Used some of Hot Sauce's congos on his shit!! I be hearing your name on a lot of PA tapes BIG D you stay in the place don't you!!

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Yeah man I suspected that there was something about a few of the funky tracks Kanye Had that had me thinking, man thatz some gogo rhythms....I don't think anyone out in Indiana coming up with some shidd thats got a gogo feel to it.....and you know the clarity of a good PA tape and how good of a sample resource it is...LOL....I didn't sample anything on my track though, all from just being a GoGo head and having that rhythm to fall back on...but hip hoppers been sampling from GoGo for decades.....Just like Rare Essence Suing Jigga about 5 or 6 years back...LOL.....

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
jaydub23510 said:
anyhoo, my man boned this 40 yr old alumni chick looking for some young dick, I banged out my lil African that lives in Richmond, dj's at the parties were wack, plenty of bitches in the club, bartenders sucked,!!!

LOL jaydub u sound like me, we should post up sometime,

Have yall heard about the music industry convention that 92.3 is hosting in downtown DC oct 22. All the people in the DC MD VA area from illmuzik should meet up there. I will post when i get more info

Class....

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
Yeah man I suspected that there was something about a few of the funky tracks Kanye Had that had me thinking, man thatz some gogo rhythms....I don't think anyone out in Indiana coming up with some shidd thats got a gogo feel to it.....and you know the clarity of a good PA tape and how good of a sample resource it is...LOL....I didn't sample anything on my track though, all from just being a GoGo head and having that rhythm to fall back on...but hip hoppers been sampling from GoGo for decades.....Just like Rare Essence Suing Jigga about 5 or 6 years back...LOL.....

I just found out Eric B and Rakim, MELLE mEl (Pump it up) all sampled from CHuck Brown, i gotta find this article, I'm bout to post it though!

classic said:
LOL jaydub u sound like me, we should post up sometime,

Have yall heard about the music industry convention that 92.3 is hosting in downtown DC oct 22. All the people in the DC MD VA area from illmuzik should meet up there. I will post when i get more info

Class....

Post that shit man, but I don't think my money will be right, I'm either gonna check out VUU vs. VSU or the Georgia Ave. Day or maybe both since RiC is only 1 hour and a half from DC, so 3 party weekends in a row I might not can stand it, plus NORFOLK STATE homecoming is NOV. 9 with BackYard and NDB wit OP TRIBE, I love this part of the year, ya heard!!!

HISTORY OF GO-GO look at some of the people who used gogo, this is especially for Cold Truth and my people that don't know about this, this is important because this music is a form of hip hop, and it is musical, with melodies, basslines, dope drums, and cool lyrics, check it out, skim through the article at least!

Don't feel bad if you've never heard of Go-Go. It's a local phenomenon that is over 20 years old, and shows not signs of dying. In that time, it has evolved into a way of life unique and rooted to Washington, D.C., Southern Maryland, and Northern Virginia. Chuck Brown is credited as being the man who started it all. For this he is referred to as "The Godfather."

During the early 70’s Chocolate City had a very competitive live music scene. Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers were respected as one of the top bands and recorded a few moderately successful records. One of their singles, Ashley's Roach Clip, contains a distinct beat that has been sampled and duplicated countless times most notably by Eric B. and Rakim (Paid in Full), and Soul to Soul (Keep on Moving). In fact, it may be one of the sampled and duplicated loops of the early hip-hop era. In 1978 Brown hit it big with a single that would become a 70’s funk classic – "Bustin’ Loose."

Brown explains that he came up with a new playing style – later tagged Go-Go – purely out of necessity. "Disco DJ’s started taking our shows," he points out. "They were cheaper and because of mixing they could keep the dance floor packed. People no longer liked the pause in between songs." In response, "the Godfather" started experimenting with a style that enabled his band to continue into the next song without ever stopping. He let the percussion section – drums and congas – take over, while he talked to the crowd. The call and response lyrics, and percussion work that developed became the benchmark of Go-Go.

Keep in mind that the extended groove was already the cornerstone of 70’s funk and soul. Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, War, and George Clinton, among others, started taking their grooves out to 10 and sometimes 15 minutes. Chuck Brown took it even further. He joined different grooves into one continuous set that lasted as long as two hours. The crowd response was overwhelming. Almost over night young bands throughout the city studied the new style. They imitated it, added their own spin, and a new music began to take form. They called it Go-Go, a term that, at the time, simply meant a party. Remember Smokey Robinson’s hit "Going to a Go-Go?"

The scene began to flourish in the late 70’s and early 80’s led by Trouble Funk, EU and Rare Essence (out of respect the Godfather is always in a class by himself). The competition among these three bands was fierce. A common argument throughout the city concerned which band "cranks" the best. This led to shows promoted as Battle of the Bands, which drew thousands to venues such as The Washington Coliseum and the D.C. Armory. But the most anticipated shows were at the Capital Center Arena. Two annual shows – The Back to School Boogie, and the New Years Ever Party with the Stars – brought Go-Go’s best together with hip-hop’s best.

It wasn't long until members of both scenes began working on projects together. Kurtis Blow collaborated with EU in his 1982 single Party Time. In 1984 Grand Master Flash & the Furious Five did their own version of Trouble Funk's Pump Me Up. Herbie Luv Bug used Go-Go samples on hit singles by Salt-n-Pepa’s My Mike Sounds Nice, and Kid-n-Play’s Rolling with Kid-n-Play. Hitman Howie Tee did the same with the Real Roxanne’s Bang Zoom - Let's Go-Go. LL Cool J used a Trouble Funk loop in the bridge of Rock the Bells, as did Heavy D used a Go-Go breakdown in Mr. Big Stuff, and Doug E. Fresh used a Chuck Brown backbeat in All the Way to Heaven, as well as using Rare Essence in the remake of I'm Getting Ready. Even Grace Jones was digging the Go-Go beat and used EU on her Slave to the Rhythm single.

In 1983, Island Records founder and CEO, Chris Blackwell, got wind of this peculiar funk style and immediately took interest. As the man who brought reggae and Bob Marley to the world, he was convinced that he could do the same with Go-Go. To this end, he invested millions in a campaign which included signing all the major bands to recording contracts and bombarding music trade publication with publicity about the coming of Go-Go. The most ambitious venture, however, involved a movie entitled Good to Go (Now titled Short Fuse). It was Blackwell’s intention that this movie would serve as the music's launching ground. Perhaps doing for Go-Go what The Harder They Come did for Reggae. Things were off to a surprisingly good start. Island's first single – Movin’ and Groovin’ by Redds & the Boys – was a smash hit in England. It immediately climbed to #1 on the UK charts and peaked much interest in the music.

Despite the high hopes and initial success, things slowly fell apart. Petty jealousies within the Go-Go community made it impossible for Island to sign all of the major acts. This was no small matter since this was a major part of Blackwell’s larger plans. Making matters worse, Good To Go, starring Art Garfunkle (of Simon and Garfunkle) was dead even before arrival. The movie was so bad that even die hard Go-Go fans hated it. It really wasn't that bad, but it definitely didn't live up to expectations. Blackwell took his losses and left the music where he found it, although Trouble Funk remained under contract to Island and continued to be a hot commodity in Europe and Japan.

In 1986, Def Jam's Rick Rubin signed a group of young teens who played on instruments that they constructed out of junk. With Junkyard Band, Rubin produced a 12 inch single, Sardines, that is still today one of the best produced Go-Go recordings ever made. Unfortunately, Def Jam never followed up in developing the band.

Another big break came in 1988 when EU, climbed to the top of the pop and R&B charts with Da Butt, featured on Spike Lee's Skool Daze soundtrack. This was a tremendous breakthrough that no one, not even the most loyal fan, ever imagined. Not since Bustin’ Loose had something coming from D.C. hit so hard. For the first time, a Go-Go video was on BET and MTV.

EU inked a deal with Virgin and immediately became one of the hottest tickets at colleges and nightclubs. Many were thinking that Go-Go’s time had truly arrived. Unfortunately, EU’s commercial success did not spell larger success for Go-Go as a scene. In the end they were dismissed as one-hit-wonders as their follow up album – did not live up to expectations. Their second Virgin release simply bombed. When they returned home, EU discovered that they lost their hometown following as well. Few loved them anymore. Go-Go heads accused them of selling out.

Trouble Funk returned home after heir Bootsy Collins produced album Trouble Over Here bombed. They too found an unforgiving scene very different from the one they had left.

In the early 90’s a new generation of bands began to take over the scene led by Backyard, Northeast Groovers, and Junkyard. Even Rare Essence re-worked their style and lineup to remain current.

Unlike their predecessors who were raised on 70’s funk these bands were members of hip-hop’s first generation. They were also a generation who came of age during D.C.’s most violent period when it earned the distinction as the nation's murder capitol. The new Go-Go sound reflected the changing values and realities of a new street culture. The music is also more stripped down. Newer bands don't even have horn sections, which have always been one of the more appealing aspects of the sound. Instead they work the percussion harder with a more in your face style. Their lyrics are also edgier, with explicit lyrics not only common, but expected. Bands that don't curse are dismissed as not keeping it real. Things have definitely changed from the old days when bands used to make up call and response lyrics and were responsible for inspiring new dances (contrary to what you may hear all the good party dances from the 80’s came out of D.C. – Wop, Cabbage Patch, Electric Slide etc.)

Surprisingly, Go-Go’s most commercially successful album of the 90’s has come from one of its DJ’s. Using phat loops, old school hooks, and call & response lyrics that inspire crowd participation, DJ Kool tapped into growing audience that wanted a return to the pure party vibe. His independent release Let Me Clear My Throat was so successful that it was picked up by Rick Rubin’s American Records and re-released nationally. The video featured Doug E. Fresh and Biz Markie. Despite DJ Kool’s success, the music's real power continues to be in the bands. To better understand the phenomenal hold that they have on Washington area culture, you simply have to experience it live.

The sight of ten people on stage, tirelessly working their instruments – riffling off one another, giving birth to new grooves on the spur of the moment – is something that has not been seen, anywhere else, at the street level in over 20 years.

In the end, Go-Go remains appealing because it never attempts to be slick, pretty, polished, or accepted on a larger level. For over 20 years it has flourished on a regional level. No one familiar with it doubts for a second that it will survive another 20. Many people in the music industry have asked the question, "Whatever happened to the live R&B band?" I don't know, but there are about 100 in D.C. holding down the funk. Go take your pick.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:

haha big d had 911 posts on this one I just checked that shit out, man but you stay shitting on me, at work I got it so I can download listen burn it or whatever if its MP3 can't stream off the net, at home I'm stuck on stupid with 56K to damn cheap to get broadband at home when I get home I'm rarely on the net

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
that song where Jay'Z say " A midget on my shoulder can see more farther than a giant" or whatever that's pure Junkyard Band right there!

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
go -go is the shit! I love that classic Chuck Brown! My VA peeps stand up! Petersburg, Richmond, Hopewell!

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
joeburnem said:
go -go is the shit! I love that classic Chuck Brown! My VA peeps stand up! Petersburg, Richmond, Hopewell!

You should have came home last weekend JOE, Hopewell was on fire for the first time in about 4 years since I left VSU,hehe

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
StressWon said:
could yall explain what "Go Go" is?????

Is that that "Doo Doo Brown" type ish?

"doo doo brown" haha was more Baltimore House Music, big big difference bro!! I got a rack of gogo MP3's if you are truly interested in hearing it. REad that article I posted and that will give you insight!

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
jaydub23510 said:
"doo doo brown" haha was more Baltimore House Music, big big difference bro!! I got a rack of gogo MP3's if you are truly interested in hearing it. REad that article I posted and that will give you insight!

Thanks Jay. Imma get to that tomorrow,,I gotta go bounce to the BX and watch my Yanks fuck up the Sox,,,1

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
For the People in the DC, MD & VA area, Party for (Go Go) Backyard's BiG G.....
Yes Mobb Deep & Devin the Dude will be in the building.

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 9, 2004

The Wired Welcoming Gala for Big G

Media Contact
Neeta Wooten
Ideal PR
Phone: 310-949-9231
Fax: 1-866- 575-1582
http://www.idealpr.com/media

"A Star Studded Benefit Gala to Welcome "Big G" To the
Wire for New Charity Foundation in Washington, DC"

Confirmed guests to date include Loon, Slum Village,
Mobb Deep, Fredro Starr, Mya Truth Hurts, Steve
Francis, Lil Mo, Devin the Dude, Chuck Brown,
Idris Elba (Stringer Bell), Hassan Johnson (Wee-Bey),
Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale), Michael Williams
(Omar), Chad Coleman (Cutty), Richard Burton (
Shamrock) Jamie Hector (Mario), Mayo Best (Gerard),
Brandon Tate (Sapper), Brandon Fobbs (Fruit),
Enfenetee, Lazee Lamont, Forbiden, Stimuli, Dre Knight
& The Narcotics,
TL Fitz, Queen Aisha, DJ Flex, Rain, EZ Street,
Michel Wright, Osei The Dark Secret, Ms Black
Continental US
writers, staff and other supporting/main cast members
of the show.

"The Wired Welcoming Gala for Big G" presented by G
Prince Incorporated in association with Budweiser, Red
Bull, We R One, Infinity Broadcasting's WPGC 95.5 FM
Washington DC and Idealpr.com will be given in honor
of a new main character played by Anwan "Big G"
Glover. October 17, 2004 8:00pm - 2:30am located at
Zanzibar on the Waterfront 700 Water Street, SW
Washington, DC 20024. This red carpet event will
attract local celebrity favorites and national names
alike. With the third season currently airing on
Sunday evenings, current cast members, celebrities and
attendees will mix, mingle and "get wired" with Big G
as events for his 2005 Celebrity Charity Weekend are
revealed.

This Benefit Gala will celebrate the addition of Big G
to the cast of "The Wire" (as seen on HBO), as well as
raise money to support the "Ghetto Prince Foundation
for Underprivileged Youth," a charity established by
Anwan "Big G" Glover for the youth of the Washington,
DC Metropolitan area. Proceeds will go towards a
series of events which will lead up to an annual
celebrity weekend during the summer of 2005 where the
target youth of Washington DC are given the
opportunity to meet and learn from their favorite
stars.

Performances by Jive Records Artist Raheem DeVaughn,
Lysette Titi and Baltimore's own Paula Campbell will
light up the first floor stage, as guest enjoy the
lavish menu of the Zanzibar on the Waterfront
displayed on all three levels, including complimentary
and drink specials, gift bags and other surprises for
attendees. The Sky Club, located on the third floor of
the Zanzibar will hold the one hundred plate VIP
dinner and appreciation VIP gift bags for all VIP
attendees.

About The Ghetto Prince Foundation For Underprivileged
Youth
The Ghetto Prince Foundation for Underprivileged Youth
was established by Mr. Anwan Glover to support and
gear at risk youth towards more positive and
productive life choices. Proceeds raised for the
foundation are used towards activities and mentoring
programs established to decrease the youth crime and
death rate as well as increase literacy awareness and
support for performing arts development for youth
without resources to receive professional training.
Anwan Glover understands the magnitude of his
influence and encouragement in the Washington, DC
community. Being the lead vocalist with DC's awards
winning Backyard Band has allowed Big G to establish a
tremendous following and acquire accolades. It is a
goal of The Ghetto Prince Foundation for
Underprivileged Youth to direct this positive energy
back into community, establish exciting activities and
programs to develop more influential role models. The
annual Big G Celebrity Weekend, will begin in 2005,
allowing other influential celebrities to lend their
presence to add to the weight of change for the Youth
of the Washington, DC metropolitan area.

###

You can purchase tickets at the door!!! Ragular
admission $30 VIP tickets $60

See ya there!!

The Wired Welcoming Gala for Big G

Media Contact
See ya there!!

Tamiko T
http://www.idealpr.com

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bIG D AND CLASS YA'LL GOING TO ga Ave. day? I hear Backyard and many other bands are playing and the Black Hole is back open Saturday will be mad crazy By HU