Go Shawty, it's ya lawsuit!

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
January 23, 2006

A lawyer representing Lil’ Joe Wein Music has filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against 50 Cent for using the line “Go shorty, it’s your birthday” at the beginning of the rapper’s 2003 hit, “In Da Club.”

In the lawsuit filed in Miami federal court last week, Richard C. Wolfe claims the line was lifted from Luther Campbell’s 1994 anthem “It’s Your Birthday,” of which Lil’ Joe Wein Music holds the copyright.

"It's the melody, it's the pace, the style — everything about that one line is the same," Wolfe said, according to AP. "We're entitled to a portion of the profits."

Wolfe’s lawsuit also claims Campbell's song "I Like It, I Love It" can also be heard on 50’s 2003 DVD "50 Cent — The New Breed."

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages, plus attorneys’ fees and other legal costs. Wolfe won a $2.3 million judgment against Campbell in 1994 for another rapper who claimed Campbell withheld royalties.

Lil' Joe Wein Music is owned by Joseph Weinberger, a lawyer who formerly represented Campbell. Weinberger became owner of the 2 Live Crew and Campbell copyrights when Campbell filed for bankruptcy protection.

Meanwhile, Campbell, who produced 2 Live Crew and rapped as a solo artist, is distancing himself from the lawsuit filed by Wolfe.

Campbell tells Allhiphop.com: "Let the record reflect that Joe Weinberger and Richard Wolfe are the individuals who are suing 50. They are not suing on behalf of me or any member of the 2 Live Crew. These guys, that's all they do is go around suing people and use our names. When they do sue people and make money on that catalogue, neither me nor any of the 2 Live Crew members receive any money from that.”

“They stole that catalogue from the members and me and we don't make money from it,” Campbell added. “When you read my book, ‘My Life and Freaky Times,’ you'll get the full entire story surrounding these two crooks and that catalogue.”

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
If this dude wins this suit no emcee can quote, reference, or paraphrase existing raps, or any vocals on any other record. Can of worms friends. On one hand it frightens me, on the other, this may spell the end of corporate hip hop, and thus provide a return to the bygone grass roots culture. Talk amongst yourselves.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
FTdub said:
If this dude wins this suit no emcee can quote, reference, or paraphrase existing raps, or any vocals on any other record.

Exactly, which is why I doubt he'll win.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Relic said:
Not only have the chickens come home to roost, they are eating each other...

word.

Let thim canibalize themselves, and the true heads will reside underground.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
in some cases you do...in some you don't. i think it's up to the artist/label if they'll just ignore it.

Jay-Z paid for using Nas voice in "Dead Presidents", he said so at least.

"So yeah, I sampled your voice, you was usin it wrong. You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song. And you ain't get a coin n***a you was gettin fucked and, I know who I paid God, Searchlight Publishing"

S

Svenghali

I know Joe personally and he's a fuckin' crook. He had a label called Lil' Joe Records and he was always tryin' to find an angle (to figure out how to beat someone out of theirs. He's always seems to find the most frivalous reasons to sue people over. Joe is a jerk. I hope his attorney doesn't get a damn dime.

members online