good genres for sampling drums?

O

open mind

what are good genres for sampling kicks,snare,percussion,hihats, n other drum related ish?
i dont mean breaks.i heard that the most great drummers play in rock bands so should i go to sample my drums from rock genre? also jazz drummers got mad skills i dunno man any advice is welcome.thanks fam.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I find alot of good drums in Japanese records. they usually have 345345 minute long drum solos and shit.

also... jazz usually have good bd, cuz the bass player plays on the kick sometimes. Disco. Classic rock.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you don't need skilled drummers for single hits, maybe if u want a break, but on almost every record i own, there's at least one clean drum shot, alot of times on soul or rock records there will be one (more if you're lucky) intros where its just the drums startin out, and u can usually swipe a clean kick or snare off it

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
yeah man a clean drum hit just kinda happens. You can look for drum solos, but if you're passing up random soul records in that process, you're probably missing out. I find most of my drums off soul record intros.

O

open mind

i dunno man of course hip hop genre has the drums iam looking for but i have a bad feeling only in "thinkin" to sample drums from hip hop track imagine how i would feel when i really would make it? i dunno man a deep voice in me tells me DONT sample from hiphop track its like an unwritten rule to me it has sumitn to do with HONOR if i would do that i would feel lazy or sumtin because i didnt dig deeply. anyone is feelin same?

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
ima let u in on a lil secret... well it aint a secret anymore thanks to SCRATCH magazine lol. get hold of a track called 'Synthetic Substitution' by Melvin Bliss. its very rare on vinyl coz its so ill. the intro for the song is just a 2 or 4 bar loop of the sickest drums ever. either chop em or loop em. they are sooooooooo hip hop.

sAfE.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
bigrob said:
i dunno man of course hip hop genre has the drums iam looking for but i have a bad feeling only in "thinkin" to sample drums from hip hop track imagine how i would feel when i really would make it? i dunno man a deep voice in me tells me DONT sample from hiphop track its like an unwritten rule to me it has sumitn to do with HONOR if i would do that i would feel lazy or sumtin because i didnt dig deeply. anyone is feelin same?

what are you talkin about... hip hop has been sampled and resampled for years...

from old Lady of Rage songs to Kool and the Gang.. Heatmakers sampled usher once..

O

open mind

Sanova said:
what are you talkin about... hip hop has been sampled and resampled for years...

from old Lady of Rage songs to Kool and the Gang.. Heatmakers sampled usher once..
thats lame.

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
Rhythmikal said:
ima let u in on a lil secret... well it aint a secret anymore thanks to SCRATCH magazine lol. get hold of a track called 'Synthetic Substitution' by Melvin Bliss. its very rare on vinyl coz its so ill. the intro for the song is just a 2 or 4 bar loop of the sickest drums ever. either chop em or loop em. they are sooooooooo hip hop.

sAfE.

that is the most played out break in hiphop... not a secret at all..

there isnt one good genre for drums, any kind of music that uses drums you can sample from, you just need to find tracks where the artist does a solo... freakin Anne Murrey has a dope break on 'Hand in the hand'... and Kenny Rogers on tulsa turnover or something like that...

dont limit yourself to genre's

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
erkl said:
that is the most played out break in hiphop... not a secret at all..

yeh but its still ill.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Rhythmikal said:
ima let u in on a lil secret... well it aint a secret anymore thanks to SCRATCH magazine lol. get hold of a track called 'Synthetic Substitution' by Melvin Bliss.
rofl, man, that sample ain't a secret fool...

Most drums from hip-hop comes from funk records: james brown, ohio players, the meters and alot of stuff. just do some research dang...

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
lots of metal songs have some really sick breakdowns and drum solos. theres some incredibly fast and talented drummers out there- maybe not in the same "groove" as most hiphop is but that can be fixed with some programs (or stick with the metal groove, theres no rules to creativity).
i like taking blast beats and slowing them down to a hiphop tempo, creates a pretty crazy rythmic backdrop

O

open mind

DrOscillator said:
lots of metal songs have some really sick breakdowns and drum solos. theres some incredibly fast and talented drummers out there- maybe not in the same "groove" as most hiphop is but that can be fixed with some programs (or stick with the metal groove, theres no rules to creativity).
i like taking blast beats and slowing them down to a hiphop tempo, creates a pretty crazy rythmic backdrop
interesting technic iam a have to try this out.