Gospel

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Are you looking for new gospel or old gospel. Some old gospel you cant go wrong with is Mahalia Jackson, and some new Gospel you might want to check out Fred Hammond. Im sure you know about Kirk Franklin and Mary Mary.

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Ozmosis said:
Are you looking for new gospel or old gospel. Some old gospel you cant go wrong with is Mahalia Jackson, and some new Gospel you might want to check out Fred Hammond. Im sure you know about Kirk Franklin and Mary Mary.

Nah, I don't know anything about Gospel haha, thats why I came here and asked, but thanks for dropping those names, I'll be checking them out later.

S

Style

Only thing I heard that can be consider gospel hip hop was kirk franklin and gods property back in the day.

Phiba Optix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was walking through town one day when this cat came up to me and gave me this ticket for his concert. He said it was Hip Hop and I was like 'aiight' I might check this out. Then he started to ask me some crazy questions and get all deep on me like 'Do you think your gonna go to heaven or hell'. Then after about 30 minutes of grilling I said 'aiight I gotta bounce'...

It was then when I looked down at the ticket and it said 'Gospel Hip Hop live in St Pauls' Church!'

And I was like... man how the fuck can you watch a hip hop concert in a church?

As you probably gathered I didn't go in the end... shit was too deep for me.

D

D'Majishin

Gospel Hip-hop

What does it matter how the word is gotten across? Hip-hop is a form of expression correct? When hip-hop was in it's early stages it wasn't considered music so gospel hip-hop is in it's early stages, Now, I do have to say one thing alot of it is horrible, whack as hell. If it's executed right then I think it's cool!

Check out www.kiddthewarrior.com He's a cat that I've done production for and work with he in Omaha, Nebraska . I think he flips it very well!!

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
a guy gave me a cd one day n told me to listen to it he said it was hip hop so i listened to it and dude had a tight flow but i noticed he neva rapped about gunz , the street life , or anthing he talk about the bible but in a hip hop way (nah mean) he was tight no curses no nothin but the flow n the beat was hot something lauren Hill would do

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
D'Majishin said:
What does it matter how the word is gotten across? Hip-hop is a form of expression correct? When hip-hop was in it's early stages it wasn't considered music so gospel hip-hop is in it's early stages, Now, I do have to say one thing alot of it is horrible, whack as hell. If it's executed right then I think it's cool!

Check out www.kiddthewarrior.com He's a cat that I've done production for and work with he in Omaha, Nebraska . I think he flips it very well!!

word, you just gotta know where to look. there's a ton of dope emcees, producers, and dj's spittin for Christ right now. i'm very impressed with the level of quality alot of them have now. in fact, it's primarily what i listen to any more. and i'm not talking about preachy hip hop, i'm talking about artists that are Christian making quality music where their faith is lived out in the music but not beating you over the head with it. for example, check out this myspace link to some new tracks by deepspace5. all of these dudes are Christian but their music in unbelievable:

http://www.myspace.com/10930885

http://www.deepspace5.com/

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
djryval said:
word, you just gotta know where to look. there's a ton of dope emcees, producers, and dj's spittin for Christ right now. i'm very impressed with the level of quality alot of them have now. in fact, it's primarily what i listen to any more. and i'm not talking about preachy hip hop, i'm talking about artists that are Christian making quality music where their faith is lived out in the music but not beating you over the head with it. for example, check out this myspace link to some new tracks by deepspace5. all of these dudes are Christian but their music in unbelievable:

http://www.myspace.com/10930885

http://www.deepspace5.com/

tru but peopl now a days wanna hear people spit about drugs n money they sleepin on Christ right now

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
We got next!

Phiba Optix said:
I was walking through town one day when this cat came up to me and gave me this ticket for his concert. He said it was Hip Hop and I was like 'aiight' I might check this out. Then he started to ask me some crazy questions and get all deep on me like 'Do you think your gonna go to heaven or hell'. Then after about 30 minutes of grilling I said 'aiight I gotta bounce'...

It was then when I looked down at the ticket and it said 'Gospel Hip Hop live in St Pauls' Church!'

And I was like... man how the fuck can you watch a hip hop concert in a church?

As you probably gathered I didn't go in the end... shit was too deep for me.

It's easy to rock a hip hop concert in a church. There are tons of cats who used to be hip hop artists and once their life changed, their content changed. If in the concert there was profanity and the 'video type of hip hop' then naw, that ain't happening. The fact is, this ain't new. Contrary to popular belief, Kanye didn't have an original concept in 'Jesus Walks'. We have been doing this for 10+ years. He was just the first mainstream person to attempt it. The fact that it was a succes shows there is a market for it. Labels are afraid of us, though, because it's hard to play Lil Jon, Yin Yang, and the like after that. It messes up their programmin.

Religion and rap has been intertwined since the beginning of hip hop. 5 Percenters rhetoric and their wording has been around in hip hop for as long as I remember, (word is bond, gods & earths, peace, etc.) Christianity is not normally looked at as 'cool' so we get a bum rap when it comes to hip hop. Yeah, Mase kinda messes up things with his flip flop, but he never was a Gospel Artist. His thing is his thing. I'm just sad that he came out professing Christianity and switched up. But I ain't judging, he has to be him.

I've been a DJ since '89, and producing since '93. In '96, I gave my life to Christ and changed my game. I only do gospel hip hop and catch alot of flack because it ain't no money in it at this point, but it's all for the love. For the love of God and for the love of hip hop. It's a ministry vs. industry thing.

Check out www.theyuinon.com be sure to catch the site intro and tell me if it's like any other gospel hip hop you've heard/seen before. All I ask is for an open mind.
We strive for a relevancy to the street without compromising our beliefs, maintaining an industry level of quality and presentation.

www.theyuinon.com
www.yuinonrecords.com
www.holycultureradio.com

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
good words ed, i'm a member of holycultureradio too. they've got some tight mixes on there. my crew (the inktroverts - see www.myspace.com/inktroverts for some music)does hip hop for youth groups and events all the time, but we will also play other venues as well. i have not been djing for as long as you have but i did grow up in the lates 70's and 80's, listening to everything from the fat boys to run dmc. i've always been interested in the djing aspect so i took it upon myself to learn the art and formed a crew 3 years ago. much love homie, keep it up.

D

D'Majishin

Trife said:
tru but peopl now a days wanna hear people spit about drugs n money they sleepin on Christ right now

I hear what you're saying but due to the amount of whack gospel hiphop it brings a bad name on the good ones. Yeah I'd like to not get beat across the head with "God", "God", "God". If it's a message that's comes across and I get it whether gospel or not, then mission accomplished

members online