Great advice from producer Buckwild

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Wattup Illmuzik fam....So anyways, it was another long day at the studio. I engineered 2 sessions today...one with Lee Carr (singer from Russel Simmons Music Group/Def Jam), and one with Thara (Desert Storm). Anyways, after that I was sittin waiting for Fabolous to come in for his session. While I was waiting, producer Buckwild came through to play beats for Fab. Fab was super late so me and Buck vibed for a while. I was the only one at the studio so we got to really talk for an hour or so. He played me his new shit, and I played him my shit in return. He actually seemed pretty impressed with my tracks, and definately pointed out a few of the bangers.

Anyways, he had a LOT of great advice for me as far as teaching me how the game works, how to get those first beats sold, the art of playing beats for rappers, what equipment he uses, how he puts his beats together, etc....just teaching me random things through conversation that you can only learn through experience that he has....For those that don't know, he's produced for just about everyone to ever touch a mic. Some artists include, Biggie, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Game, etc etc. The list goes on forever.

One of the things he told me was when you sit in a listening session, playing beats for an artist, dont give them more than 10 tracks at a time. Let them go through 8 or 10, then come back in a week and play more. This way instead of the artist listening to 30 beats and only taking 2 or 3 (an artist is not gonna take 15 hot beats from you at a time, regardless of how much he likes em), he listens to 8 or so, takes 2 or 3, and then next time you come back with more shit, he may take 2 or 3 again. That gives you a much bigger chance of making sure your tracks make the album cut, and you also have a smaller chance of worrying about samples not getting cleared, cuz likely, if 1 track doesnt get cleared, one of the other ones will...

We also talked a lot about the state of hip hop, and what needs to change, what is changing, why its changing etc. Who is selling, why they sell. Some deep shit. Anyways, it would be impossible for me to try to explain the whole conversation but he tought me a lot in an hour. He's come through the studio a few times now, so I'm sure I'll be seeing him again. I look forward to it!

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo man that's ill

Buckwild is a legend

That "Gotta Story To Tell" beat is one of the best beats ever

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Good looks! I'm tryna arrange a meeting with Bossman's (underground cat from Bmore) manager to shop some beats and I'm definitely gonna use that piece of advice.

Matter of fact, I just got a beat CD with 30 beats to the Target Squad (mixtape cats based outta DC) and sho nuff... They picked two of em.

m.s

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah that cat buck... i remember when he was making mix tapes..in the bronx.. he from around the way.. im glad he is still doing shit..

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Good look on sharing your experience fam. Be sure to drop any dope info you come across. Props man.

S

Soundzhawt Prod

THe thing that got my attention was when you said " how to get those first beats sold" and "how he puts his beats together"!!!
Come on now Swivel you're leaving a homie hungry for more info!!! Bless us with that knowledge!!!
Thanks though, that's whats up!!!