Had a chance to cop some old gear

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
A few weeks ago I had the chance to cop an Akai S900 but backed out. It just didn't seem right to me. The guy was cool but there were a few things:
  1. The screen brightness was terrible! I couldn't see anything. I told him I would have to replace that right away.
  2. It looked kind of beat up (granted, it's an old machine).
  3. His presentation of the unit...
The lack of presentation threw me off I guess. I mean, I wanted the unit but at the same time I was worried there might be issues with it eventually. Is it just me or should the seller at least try to "sell" you the unit while you're looking at it?

Even though I went to his house, I think if it had of LOOKED better I might have bought it. The guy had it on the floor with other stuff on top (not cool) and didn't think the screen was a big deal.

There's times I sold gear and showed it off to the person buying it. Just because they're at my house doesn't mean they're going to buy it, right?

Anyway, just venting. I'm curious as to any experiences any of you have had buying/selling gear?

GhostChamberz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 128
I remember when i bought my Akai MPC 2000 XL. Really cool cat. I went to his place and stayed like an hour while he actually showed me how to use it (just basic things but still) And then he hooked up everything plus the Zip Drive and even printed out a manual for me. Explaining about the Firmware also and told me how to upgrade it if i wanted to. Also gave me some dope drums on the Zip Disks.

The experience you had now Fade, i wouldnt trust a dude who had trash on top of the product he tryna sell. Like who the fuck knows how he treated this piece of gear. And trying to tell you that a broken screen aint that problematic?

Me personally when i sell expensive gear. For example last thing was a 1000 dollar Shadow Hills Pre-Amp. I invite them to the crib and show them and explain them how it work plus what the different modes do and the different settings for DI , Microphone and the 3 characters for recording guitar. Its no different for the MPK25 i sold go into detail about the firmware update, the software etc etc.
I expect the same when i am purchasing something that is 2nd Hand

Not had many bad experiences buying stuff to be honest, but then again i dont buy alot of 2nd hand stuff

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
See, that's how it should be! That's cool the guy explained all the stuff and even printed the manual lol.

When I sold some 1200's years ago, it was a young guy that had no clue so he had all these questions and I was showing him how to adjust the tonearm and what the torque is, etc.

Even last time I bought a 1200, I get to the guy's house and it's some dude in his late 50's but he had some music pumping even before I got to the door! It would have been shitty if I showed up and he had it unplugged, dusty, and under some old rugs.

The guy for the 900, it was just weird. And it sucked because it was cheap but that's what turned me away - I knew I'd have to put a few hundred to fix it up. Plus I hated that I had to get on the floor to look at the damn thing! I swear the contrast knob was all the way to the end and I could barely see anything.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It was about $320 so it's good but like I said, it's just having to do all that stuff. I think mainly I was worried other things might not work okay.