Half Assed Rappers.....

J-UK

Um........
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Don't know if anyone else finds this true but I find most rappers to be stitch ups. They say they like your beats and say that will start writing to them and then never seem to come through with the goods. I'm not sayin that all rappers are like this cause some are genuine and come through but a lot of them are half hearted. Anyone else think the same or is it just me cause my beats are terrible and no one has the heart to tell me?! hehe

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yo i hear, that, i think it is just UK emcees that do that, cuz most of them are liars who cant rap....

dont get downhearted son...

ill o.g.
It aint just uk. But i know what you mean. The only people i used to work with are people who act how you explained. You cant just wait for mc's to come to you. You gotta go look for em. I know theres gotta be a lot in the Uk. Same shit happened with me. Just cuz they dont have any mixtapes or nothin out right now or cuz they dont go around sayin they rap, dont mean they aint there. Mad people just rap so they can jump on the bandwagon. You gotta look around, find some people and check for skills. If somebody dont respect you enough to atleast call back and tell you they aint really into workin with you or update on what they got finished, they probly arent takin it serious enough for you to want to work with them.

If they dont come back. Fuck em. Go look for another mc. 60 million people in the Uk, theres gotta be a respectful decent mc lookin for beats.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
J-UK said:
Don't know if anyone else finds this true but I find most rappers to be stitch ups. They say they like your beats and say that will start writing to them and then never seem to come through with the goods. I'm not sayin that all rappers are like this cause some are genuine and come through but a lot of them are half hearted. Anyone else think the same or is it just me cause my beats are terrible and no one has the heart to tell me?! hehe

as an emcee, I have to be on the other hand so to speak,,,It takes me some time as well, but I WILL come thru with the goods. Between my schedule and not havin an actual booth,,lol,,,I do what I can. But most cats just dont care.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Well, if they are your friends, maybe its a way for them to motivate you or tell you that they like your beats... I know a guy like that. When he listens to my beats, he always says: "Yo, I gotta write something to go with that track.... It's gonna be a banger!... " bla bla bla bla bla bla... but he never made me listen to ONE track he wrote...

I'm just saying... cuz it could be that they dont got the skills too

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
J-UK said:

Oh, heck yeah son! I've had that happen so many times yo. And one cat in particular who is very talented came over to my crib, my wife fed him and we vibed and went through some tracks. He gave me a concept for a song he had but wanted me to redo. We talked money FIRST. So this was after I told him and his manager what my fee was. Well, I put my heart & soul into this track, spent my electricity, time away from my wife & kids to give this cat some heat and he NEVER got back with me!! That was a year ago! it happened several other times with other people as well. That junk was wack!!! Now, I don't even fool with fools who ain't serious about their music!! I only deal with PASSIONATE people. Those are the ones who are willing to sacrifice for their craft to put out high quality product. Man, you struck a nerve on that thread with me!!! LOL. I'm still steamed about that. I FEEL your frustration dude.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
J-UK said:

Well my theory on this is that MOST rappers are not really rappers. A rapper is somebody who gets paid to rap, not somebody who is putting together a CD for the hood to bop to, or somebody who thinks that rap is a good way to stay off the street.
Most "MC's" are happy with just hearing themselves on tape.

If you step your game up a little and get into the circles of serious MC's who do shows on the reg, have a promo kit, publicist etc. then you would elevate your status to the point where you would KNOW and differentiate between the real and fake just based on the initial convo! Peeeeace.

J-UK

Um........
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Good to see that it's not just me! I think a lot of the so called rappers, especially in the uk, are more into the image of being a rapper rather then putting in the work.

C

Caffeine

J-UK/DJ X-Sinna:
Comming from a producer's aspect, I can understand the frustration. Had a guy tell me one..."get me some hot beats, and when I get paid, you get paid"...I laughed at him. Not how it works buddy. He never got back to me...and when he did, it was that same line.

Shadeed:
On the other hand, comming from a "rapper's" perspective, I do shows for free. I give CD's out for free (a lot of em), and I don't mind NOT getting paid. I love music, it's within me, and making a CD for the hood to bump to, money involved or not, is still an accomplishment, and something to be proud of. Rapping started as people just rockin' the mic, no money involved. Today it seems that the image of rapping and the hip hop culture has been twisted and perverted into something that is completely strange and mind-altering. A true musician will gladly perform for free for the love of the music...as well as glady take any payment offered.

There's my 2 pennies.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Shadeed:
On the other hand, comming from a "rapper's" perspective, I do shows for free. I give CD's out for free (a lot of em), and I don't mind NOT getting paid. I love music, it's within me, and making a CD for the hood to bump to, money involved or not, is still an accomplishment, and something to be proud of. Rapping started as people just rockin' the mic, no money involved. Today it seems that the image of rapping and the hip hop culture has been twisted and perverted into something that is completely strange and mind-altering. A true musician will gladly perform for free for the love of the music...as well as glady take any payment offered.

There's my 2 pennies.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the points you made, if you are doing this for the love of the music, then its no problem with doing free shows, and giving out CD's.
I think you got it twisted with my definition of a rapper. Yeah, I do believe that a rapper is a person who gets paid for rapping, and hip hop was something that originated from the street, so in its early stages it was all about the love and NOT getting paid off the artform.
A true "underground" musician will gladly perform for free but once you start scanning major units, you'll see that most artist perform for the "love" of the dollar.

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
I MC and sometimes I hear and beat and I react like you cats mentioned " oh shit, I gotta get on that beat!" But there have been times where the beat just loses its appeal if I don't start writing ASAP, and the more you wait the more things get out of sync. The 1 time this happened the producer and me just didn't vibe on certain issues, so maybe that's part of the reason for lazy MC's.

The only way to get em to work is to sit their butts down, provide em with some alcoholic brew, and smack em in the butt and tell em to start writing or things never get done w/ most mcs. I actually started mcing cause I realized most are lazy and not committed and I thought I could write a song or to not based on the usual money, drugs, hoes, or bragging about oneself. Anyhow, now when I ask for a beat from a producer, even b4 that I start writing. If it doesn't inspire me I won't ask for the beat.

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
hardboiled said:
I MC and sometimes I hear and beat and I react like you cats mentioned " oh shit, I gotta get on that beat!" But there have been times where the beat just loses its appeal if I don't start writing ASAP, and the more you wait the more things get out of sync. The 1 time this happened the producer and me just didn't vibe on certain issues, so maybe that's part of the reason for lazy MC's.

The only way to get em to work is to sit their butts down, provide em with some alcoholic brew, and smack em in the butt and tell em to start writing or things never get done w/ most mcs. I actually started mcing cause I realized most are lazy and not committed and I thought I could write a song or to not based on the usual money, drugs, hoes, or bragging about oneself. Anyhow, now when I ask for a beat from a producer, even b4 that I start writing. If it doesn't inspire me I won't ask for the beat.

Yo, Hardboiled; where U been son??

members online