hardware or software?What (sounds) better?

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 151
Personally i like analog more. The final products with analog are always a bit louder and has more depth to it than software. It's the warmth that analog gear gives. Even with software synths i can tell the difference between analog or software.

I saw vid on youtube explains the difference between software mastering and hardware. This dude used those automatically masterings sites where you just send your mix to and it masters it for you automatically vs going to a mastering engineer and let him do this for u. This dude said on the end how come the final master of the engineer was way better low is probably because he did the limiting with hardware. Software can't go that far without losing that warmth that analog gear gives to the beat.

What you guys think?

Attachments

• delaysrackone.png
    delaysrackone.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 102

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
It’s been proven time and time again that even the golden ears can’t hear a difference between hardware and software. Hell the waves ssl emulation achieved full phase cancellation of the original console. The advantage of hardware is in workflow and inspiration, a moog synth is an instrument in its own right with the immediacy of the knobs etc where it’s hard to pull that out of a soft synth. But I would put Diva or Omnisphere up against any hardware synth any day on sound quality alone.

as far as your master example, those auto mastering sites are all trash. A real mastering engineer will always do a better job, hardware or software. I had my last record mastered with mostly outboard gear (not cheap mind you) but the final step will always be back in to the computer with more processing done.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
It’s been proven time and time again that even the golden ears can’t hear a difference between hardware and software. Hell the waves ssl emulation achieved full phase cancellation of the original console. The advantage of hardware is in workflow and inspiration, a moog synth is an instrument in its own right with the immediacy of the knobs etc where it’s hard to pull that out of a soft synth. But I would put Diva or Omnisphere up against any hardware synth any day on sound quality alone.

as far as your master example, those auto mastering sites are all trash. A real mastering engineer will always do a better job, hardware or software. I had my last record mastered with mostly outboard gear (not cheap mind you) but the final step will always be back in to the computer with more processing done.

It's close but hardware is still better in my opinion. Software isn't bad not at all but somehow hardware is ussually better sounding to me. I still have a compressor limiter @ my other place i still need to pick it up and plug it into my mixer. Them mastering sites are trash yes its just basic mastering preset probably nothing special. That's why we do it ourselves.

TjombaBeats

Mister Miyagi Beats
ill o.g.
Naahhh man like i have analog effects and nothing beats that no plugin i used can remake the sound that the effectbox does. The reverb and everything is way different than for example waves H-verb. Its close but not the same. Everybody has its own opinion about this subject. But its hard telling the good from the good you know. But i do believe hardware is better by a mysterious 1 %. but it shouldnt be noticable.

members online