Harry Potter & The ILL Beat-stealing risk

idk, I still feel like it is a bit loose around here if u ask me. the main issue isn't about our capability to sue them noisethieves, it's more about the fact that A, a decent lawsuit takes so much time and money that it won't even be worth going after it in most cases, and B, the likelihood that we'll get to know that the art is deezed is low anyway. someone might be out there in the 20k - 50k range of streams-per-track using our beats, and there'd be a 0.05%ish chance that we ever find out they exist. now to initiate the cherries & cakes ritual, take that scenario and imagine if some mf remakes our beats and then uses them.

of course, we can't solve all these issues, there'll always be thieves and the remake issue is so unsolvable that bringing it up is borderline redundant. it exists literally everywhere. u can just copy beats offa beatstars/airbit/youtube/... too and get away with it/make legit money offa it, if ur good enough at remaking shit. yet with all that said, it doesn't hurt to think about ways to go about the issue either. I personally fuck with the idea of an illmuzik sound tag. and not even enforced by you; just an exact .wav file on the site that everyone can use if they don't want their beats to be ass-naked out here. it wouldn't be mandatory, just an option for everyone to use if they want.

that way, there's only 1 producer tag for all so the anonymity will be kept, yet it won't be mandatory so there's nothing to enforce, + you won't have to go through adding the tag to every single beat by yourself (Or writing a whole ass code that automatically adds it to audios, which people can go around anyway)

the only challenge this idea faces is that that might create some super minor anonymity issues, especially if too few people end up using them. so maybe we can experiment around it or poll it out or..?

but yea anyway that's just how I see it.

(Copypasta)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I learned a long time ago that no matter what you put online, it can be stolen. That's it.

But if you want to battle then make beats for that battle, don't use your really good beats that you're trying to sell or use to promote your brand. Those beats should be the ones you put tags on or copyright. I think probably 99% of the beats posted here in the battles are just battle beats - going all the way back to 2003!

DR.O

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 35
i got a folder that says battle beats lol and im still new to ILL..... but lets say there was a universal illmuzik tag... what about the individuality of the artists too...if this were to be implemented it shud be used in a way where both the artists original tag is in it as well as the ILL tag... and if u are not allowed to tag it for fight reasons and someone decides to steal a fight beat with a ill tag...we would find out if they ever got poppin...or maybe we never would........... but check this completely awesome fiction scenario out..so when hip hop first went down u had to BE there to hear the scratches, lyrics and samples used at the party...like in new york in the 80's....thats how they made the music scratchin and rhyming and shit but it was an AT THE MOMENT thing......... what if to hear each of our songs we had to open a LIVE window and like scratch it out or throw a DRUM LOOP ON ...and there wasnt stock sounds floating around and DAW's but like we had to make the song the way eric b and rakim did it ........ there used to b fights over people sellin bootlegs of the parties n shit...... IN FACT records only really started being made so that people who had no access to live shows could hear the band...cuz it was all live or radio stuff before the advent of albums and shit.............fuck im stoned lol........... but like what if thats how we had to do battles .....that wud be trippy right..... like those dj battles i was watchin that fade put on...but with beats.... how do u copyright THAT?

DR.O

Beatmaker
i got a folder that says battle beats lol and im still new to ILL..... but lets say there was a universal illmuzik tag... what about the individuality of the artists too...if this were to be implemented it shud be used in a way where both the artists original tag is in it as well as the ILL tag... and if u are not allowed to tag it for fight reasons and someone decides to steal a fight beat with a ill tag...we would find out if they ever got poppin...or maybe we never would........... but check this completely awesome fiction scenario out..so when hip hop first went down u had to BE there to hear the scratches, lyrics and samples used at the party...like in new york in the 80's....thats how they made the music scratchin and rhyming and shit but it was an AT THE MOMENT thing......... what if to hear each of our songs we had to open a LIVE window and like scratch it out or throw a DRUM LOOP ON ...and there wasnt stock sounds floating around and DAW's but like we had to make the song the way eric b and rakim did it ........ there used to b fights over people sellin bootlegs of the parties n shit...... IN FACT records only really started being made so that people who had no access to live shows could hear the band...cuz it was all live or radio stuff before the advent of albums and shit.............fuck im stoned lol........... but like what if thats how we had to do battles .....that wud be trippy right..... like those dj battles i was watchin that fade put on...but with beats.... how do u copyright THAT?
fuckYEAH

YA KNOW WHAT IM SAYING THOUGH..5 SCRATCHES TO THE LEFT AFTER THE BREAKBEAT....3 SCRATCHES THEN SPIN BACK ..2 SCRATCHES A WHIRL SOUND AND THREE FADER SLAPS..... thats the copyright LMAO

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I put a beat on soundclick (yeah I know) a long time ago. My cousin used to work taxi dispatch at JFK years ago. Saw some dude hailing a taxi with a roc-a-fella chain on. My cousin gave him my business card with a link to music.......
Then I heard the beat on a JR Writer mixtape.

So yeah...if you put it online, be prepared to have it stolen.

DR.O

Beatmaker
i found my first stolen beat someone stole from me and chopped and used..... i was playin this beat i saw online and my homie was like wats up with u n whale noises... i was like yo thats not me and those arent whale noises... so i listened to it back n matched it... it was my beat altered up and fuzzed out and shit.. it was kinda cool... but i chose my layers, for purity, on that arrangement i never changed the recordings i used for the back noise it was live actual whale noise recordings... but when they fuzzed it .. it stole the soul right out of it... still a cool beat......... but nothing compares TO THE ORIGINAL

i found my first stolen beat someone stole from me and chopped and used..... i was playin this beat i saw online and my homie was like wats up with u n whale noises... i was like yo thats not me and those arent whale noises... so i listened to it back n matched it... it was my beat altered up and fuzzed out and shit.. it was kinda cool... but i chose my layers, for purity, on that arrangement i never changed the recordings i used for the back noise it was live actual whale noise recordings... but when they fuzzed it .. it stole the soul right out of it... still a cool beat......... but nothing compares TO THE ORIGINAL
the first time my beat got stolen was when it was sent to a dumbass rapper we were working with, and the mf leaked it. bro sent the beat to 2 of his rapper friends so they could see if they can rap on it or some stupid shit like that. they stole it, rapped on it, fucked the beat up with random sfx and shitty mixing. it got 15k plays in a few weeks. apparently it's a local classic in their village now.

Jokes on them tho because 50% of whatever I put in the beat was already stolen from some 90s boomer bap track :skull:

50% of whatever I put in the beat was already stolen from some 90s boomer bap track :skull:
actually a shitton of the stuff I made back then was stolen for here n there. 15 yo arvin just LOVED doing beats that way ngl. I even remember writing an article on it on the ill. it was called "the grocery shopping method" or some shit like that. it's basically like you listen to 4 5 different beats, take one element from each and tada, you have 4 5 guarantee-for-hit elements to work with. from there you just Frankenstein your way to glory.

actually a shitton of the stuff I made back then was stolen for here n there. 15 yo arvin just LOVED doing beats that way ngl. I even remember writing an article on it on the ill. it was called "the grocery shopping method" or some shit like that. it's basically like you listen to 4 5 different beats, take one element from each and tada, you have 4 5 guarantee-for-hit elements to work with. from there you just Frankenstein your way to glory.
Its what Ive been doing with the remixes to grow my youtube, just remix stuff that people are looking for and they will find your shit too. Also you have some tried and tested hit material to work with. Having big names to drop in the tags really helps youtube to suggest your videos.

DR.O

Beatmaker
the first time my beat got stolen was when it was sent to a dumbass rapper we were working with, and the mf leaked it. bro sent the beat to 2 of his rapper friends so they could see if they can rap on it or some stupid shit like that. they stole it, rapped on it, fucked the beat up with random sfx and shitty mixing. it got 15k plays in a few weeks. apparently it's a local classic in their village now.

Jokes on them tho because 50% of whatever I put in the beat was already stolen from some 90s boomer bap track :skull:
anyone else ever found one of their beats that you had already stolen and altered in a fresh ass way.....after someone else steals and alters it ..... and makes it all fuzzed out nshit.... its kinda like a compliment and a fuck you at the same time ya know what im sayin

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I was going to say if you suck at beats then you have nothing to worry about. But on the other hand with what passes for good/great makes me realize it's probably the shitty beats they're looking for. :poop: :clown:

Its what Ive been doing with the remixes to grow my youtube, just remix stuff that people are looking for and they will find your shit too. Also you have some tried and tested hit material to work with. Having big names to drop in the tags really helps youtube to suggest your videos.
that's always a great idea. pretty much all of my subscribers who aren't my mom came for my cover/remix/orchestration/etc videos, and then accidentally clicked on my stupid shit afterwards. it's a genius leeching plan. the corporate assholes spend billions on advertisements while I get so much crumbs I choke on it. at the end of they I'm adding to the attention they get as well so it's a win win.

that's what I usually plan for my artists as well. it's way more likely that they'll get attention by looking pretty and mediocrely covering already famous songs in a different genre than just throwing out original song after original song with 2 people giving a shit, both of which being our moms.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What @Sucio dude, what track and mixtape title?