Have you ever Ran out of Samples??

• beat this! voting starts in...

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
everything cool.
I'm very bussy producing for some people and we have our first gig the 15th of october in Dordrecht, so everything is going very well.
what about your rigor?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey this is sort of off the track but most of you know I am not the sample king, but I am tryna figure out what you usually look for in the sample, I mean do you identify the loop portion of the sample that defines the beat or do you mostly chop and construct?.....I know that most of the hot shitt that just blaze or Kanye does is usually based on the main melody or the hook of the song......I wonder how much effort they go to after they found that portion that defines the beat they want to make and then keep it from being too monotonous....also do they use the same drums out of the sample or do they use the closest matched etc for the main beat and the breakdown????
also what is the main era 60's 70's 80's that you stay focused on as the source for your sample
beats?
what I am finding is whenever I find a sample I like......someone is like oh that's the song that Just blaze did or thatz the song the diplomats flipped......it is sooooooo hard to be original with samples when the base for the sample has already been discovered...I do about 85-90% of my tracks off of my own melodies and tweaked sounds....but being into production and selling tracks.....MC's will mostly ask for some hott sample shidd for their mixtapes or promo stuff......

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
Personaly I don't think it is a problem using samples that are already been used, only you have to flip them different.
I rarely use loops in my tracks, I almost always chop them up.
The main focus of my sample diggin' is the 70's.
I think the best funk, soul, jazz and reggea was created in that era, but I don't limit myself to that.
as for the drums, when I do use a loop I use different drums for it, not the drums from the track I took the loop from (I only speak for myself though. don't know what other producer do)

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Everything cool over here too..
also producing alot, one of the crews i am doing a lot of producing for will be support act to
non phixion this saturday, i will host the evening and nemon will spinn the records..

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
RigorMortis said:
Everything cool over here too..
also producing alot, one of the crews i am doing a lot of producing for will be support act to
non phixion this saturday, i will host the evening and nemon will spinn the records..

Cool man.
I heard non phixion is in the metropool in hengelo.
Say hi to Nemon for me. (I deejayd on some of his party's) and good luck with the support act.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
We know, we were all there there hehe

hiphopsunday! ( RIP )

FIY; because HHS is rip due to dumb ass management @ Roosje, they planned a HiphopSaturday and that didnt work either. After hearing nothing the programmer came up with a hiphopweekender. 2nd Oct is Non Phixion, 3rd Oct is Jzone, vakill and louis logic.

It makes up for a lot but lets hope they'll do some frequent hiphopconcerts from now on ( though I slightly doubt it ).

@ BigD

I think there's a big difference in what environment the track is produced. I dont know ( read heard ) much of Kanye's productions but it doesnt really come to mind that he produced this at his homestudio but at a top notch studio instead, same for mixing and mastering. In those cases you have the options to custom the sound to any preference since they all rely on classic gear ( like 1178, pultecs, etc etc etc ).

As for the common used phrase samples, it will get harder to find any appealing material for hiphop as time passes by. I dont really look for artist to sample these days except for a few which are unknown to most hiphopproducers I assume. I have been lookin into moviescores and movie muzak from the early 40's till the late 70's to aquire the typical sound ( the non digital or masterings of modern standards ). The good samples are in the little things but also depends on the producers perspective, wether his/her samplism techniques can provide material since I think that in the mind of such established samplist can make something of anything sampled. In my case I look for everything in an old recording; stabs, strings, bass, drums, things I can loop as a phrase, or a phrase I can strip and form into a new medley and certainly drums but not always. If I take the brickcity track from my page for example, you find whole one minute sections sampled from Frankenstein's Bride - The Funeral, but also lose stabs of stringssections I cut and made my own sequences from. The basic drums are from my library but the drums in the back are sampled from an old recording I cant remember and added a HP filter so it wont double the lower frequencies of the basic 2step drums. The reason I took all samples from the same track is because they contain the same atmosphere and recording quality which at first made it hard to finish the track. You have one or samples but it wont complete the whole track, so I listen over and over to find usefull things in the track to complete whatever I was trying to accomplish. This also makes it easy for mixdown, all the samples dont need a lot of eq'ing but do need some refreshing because they're old recordings, which can be done in various ways. The thing that took the most time were the drums, to make them blend, harmonize with the whole as they do not come the same recording.

So, it's cant always be about that era, it's about perspective and keeping it ez for yourself. I've done some freaky simple stuff, sometimes monotoneus depending on the mc since some mc's come to their rights in simple beats and sometimes in well constructed samplism on which there's no room for the mc to really stand out.

In terms of chart material and those hot samples, I think it overrated and it also takes money to clear those hot samples. It's not really fair to ask an unestablished producer for that hot kinda sample that this chart mc has unless you already have a contract deal that covers those expenses.

members online