having troubles making a melody?

Y

YaGurlShorty

i dont kno,but lately it seems as if,i cant find a good melody...it's also sucks to kno i dont any piano training....does anyone have an tips or things they do..when they seem to be in a melody block?

K

K-Dub

Put on some headphones....and listen to one of the tightest songs you have ever heard.

Hitz_Production

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
listen to one of my tracks. :D lol...i recommend learning some weird ass scales and chords like last week i was learning minor 11 chords in all keys, followed by pentatonic scales in all keys... doin stuff like that gives u more directions musically. hope it helps. :)

buffalony

ill o.g.
YaGurlShorty said:
i dont kno,but lately it seems as if,i cant find a good melody...it's also sucks to kno i dont any piano training....does anyone have an tips or things they do..when they seem to be in a melody block?

From the way you worded it it sounds like you should do the opposite of the first, music you never heard for the second.

Depends on how bad it is shorty. This is writers block. If your really in the mood and your drums are still tight try
1. Changing the tempo to something WAY different than what you usually produce to.
2. Dont try to find a/the melody. Try "Just playing". Lay down a simple drum track, and just flip through instruments presets, hit any keys (non-violently), play the instruments in the hi and low octaves, add FX, change your mind set an "Just Have fun".
3. Try listening to some music not from your collection. listen to different genres just outside your favorite genre, nothing you've heard already, nothing really popular. You could subscribe to a music service like rhapsody. I think you can get like a free 14 day trial.

Im suprised no one has said it yet.
If your writers block is really, really bad and you just aint feelin anything your doing. Give it a rest. This is something I was taught by a veteren producer. He specified this is a wide spread tecnique. Dont listen to any music at all. Stay away. Don't even think about it. Do something else. occupy your mind with other things. Not just for a couple of hours either shoot for a day or two. See Your not going to lose any talent or forget how to work your equipment and software by letting things rest for short periods of time, and by giving it a break your cleaning your pallette and setting up a blank canvas to come back to.

Talking with some people a few years back. One guy was tellin me he just stopped everything for like two months an came back at it and with in two weeks he was working with Trackmasters. This was'nt the main subject of our conversation but it stuck with me.

Check out Piano wizard. Short on funds Buy a book. No funds? I can't recommend anything illegal : )

What ever ya do good luck.

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
buffalony said:
From the way you worded it it sounds like you should do the opposite of the first, music you never heard for the second.

Depends on how bad it is shorty. This is writers block. If your really in the mood and your drums are still tight try
1. Changing the tempo to something WAY different than what you usually produce to.
2. Dont try to find a/the melody. Try "Just playing". Lay down a simple drum track, and just flip through instruments presets, hit any keys (non-violently), play the instruments in the hi and low octaves, add FX, change your mind set an "Just Have fun".
3. Try listening to some music not from your collection. listen to different genres just outside your favorite genre, nothing you've heard already, nothing really popular. You could subscribe to a music service like rhapsody. I think you can get like a free 14 day trial.

Im suprised no one has said it yet.
If your writers block is really, really bad and you just aint feelin anything your doing. Give it a rest. This is something I was taught by a veteren producer. He specified this is a wide spread tecnique. Dont listen to any music at all. Stay away. Don't even think about it. Do something else. occupy your mind with other things. Not just for a couple of hours either shoot for a day or two. See Your not going to lose any talent or forget how to work your equipment and software by letting things rest for short periods of time, and by giving it a break your cleaning your pallette and setting up a blank canvas to come back to.

Talking with some people a few years back. One guy was tellin me he just stopped everything for like two months an came back at it and with in two weeks he was working with Trackmasters. This was'nt the main subject of our conversation but it stuck with me.

Check out Piano wizard. Short on funds Buy a book. No funds? I can't recommend anything illegal : )

What ever ya do good luck.

You hit it right on the nail. I think this is an insightful message to anyone having writers block. I think all producer have suffer from this at time in there carrer. Shit, last night I got a case of it. I had to just get up take a breather ( Short 1 hour nap) Came back and made a banger. I also agree you should never listen to music enless you plan on using a sample or something. If you listen to other people music you tune may end up sounding like it. This is on a sub level. Ita that melody that apperas in the back of your head. I hope I'n not losing anyone. I find my tune have a element from that piece of music. I eventually realize and change things but It just happen like that at times.

On the Keyboard playing, I would recommend taking lesson. If you want to become better at making beats this is the way to go. I take lesson and it's only 20 dollar for an hour. Lesson for an hour once a week is great. Plus, the 20 is really nothing if you have the doe. You can teach your self some things but have a teacher is all the better. I have a add bonus with my teacher. She use to be a studio musician. She has played all style of music and is a formally trained in classical works. That was her main area of playing thru college. So get a techer and teach yourself.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
learn some basic scales, then learn how to find the scale from any note on the keyboard, if you don't have a lot of cake to spend on lessons there a many basic to advanced music training that are less than 100 dollars or even free online, just to teach you the basics..http://www.musicgoals.com once you can start learning scales then you can create melodies from them by playing any sequence of the scale members or note values(quarter note, 16ths whole or eighth notes etc, and learn the circle of fifths) in combination from there you can make some chords.. .....but melodies usually start out simple, if you are a samplist you dont really need to do a lot of figuring out of the melody, a lot of people sample the melody from someone else then structure the rest of the song around it...I like to come up with my own personally but either way works.

D

DollarSignz

The same thing happens to me sometimes and I just take a couple days away from music. Gives the brain time to settle down and rejuvenate that creative side that we have. Especially if I've been makin a lot of beats for a couple days straight. Sometimes you just need a break.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
listen to how Scott Storch builds his compositions. he is easily the greatest keyboard player of all time in terms of making riffs.

also, dont make a beat with a melody thats sounds ok. its a waste of time. make sure you have somethin special before taking it further. just keep playin till u find it.

members online