headphone monitor mix

T

The Bastard

my altec lansing speakers have a headphone jack on the right speaker to minitor wit headphones, am i getting the same monitoring thru this jack as i would if i had my head phones connected directly to a soundcard output?

C

Copenhagen

I say no. With the jack from your soundcard, you will only get it's sound and how it colours the sound. If you use the jack from the speakers (which i guess run through to your soundcard as well), then you will both get the colouring from your soundcard, as well as your speakers. If you use an amplifier too (if your speakers are passive), then you have to add a third element.

Whether it really makes a difference, I don't know.

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i never use headphones to mix only to edit. headphones add colour as well. if you have an amp, stereo with stereo speakers or an amp with bass treble control. set your bass treble mid-way that should give you a somewhat flat sound. then run your sound through and mix a way.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Dont use headphones to mix. Maybe for laying down ideas, but never for mixing. You will never get a beat sounding balanced wearing headphones (well u will, but as soon as you play it out on speakers it will sound totally different).

sAfE.

T

The Bastard

what if u have really flat response studio headphones, i mean thats what they are made for right

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
don`t matter, you will still get the same results. try to stay away from headphones when mixing. you will not be getting a true mix through headphones. you will do better mixing on a home stereo if you don`t have studio monitors. mixing + headphones = baaaaaaaaaaad!!!

G

groovesaga

The speakers will most probably NOT colour the sound since i think the headphone jack just gives an amplified signal of the incoming one (from the soundcard).

But I agree, mix with your speakers and not the headphones. Or atleast make sure to listen with the speakers since that'll be the main medium for your music.

members online