Headphones

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
What's up everyone.

What are you rocking for production headphones. Right now I have the Audio Technica ath m30. I was thinking of picking up a different pair if it makes a difference. I know these get good reviews though.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
I use the Beat by Dres Pro edition. They get a bad rap because of the name,but they actually do the job for me. I had some Sony MDR(Forgot the exact model) and the sound just as good. Only thing is they are a tuned for bass and aren't cheap.

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
I've been using the Sony MDR 7506 headphones since 1998 and they're great. I still have the same pair from back then. They ear padding is a bit warn down (understandable since I've used them so much since 98) but they work great.

Thanks guys. I saw the Sony's that @Fade was mentioning towards the top of this Top 50 headphone list. I also saw the AKG's up there too @wrightboy. I was thinking of picking up the Audio Technica at 50s. They were ranked number 1 and you can get them for around $150.

River Cruz

Battle Points: 6
i use the ATH M50s. only headphones I've ever used and they sound incredible. economic compared to others but the way i see it is if they deliver good sound in all aspects and you know exactly what you are aiming for you can't go wrong with the lower priced studio headphones. of course you have to play the song in different places (car, monitors, etc.) to see if you're achieving what you're aiming for

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I use to spend a lot of time in headphones tracking acoustic guitar or very rarely my own vocal as well as general production and mixing when the kid (the older one) went to bed.
I use the same pair of Beyer Dynamic DT-100's that were given to me (they were used then) when I was 17... I'm 35 now.
I did change the cover foam and ear-pads last year (8 quid) but they're just built like a tank! I reckon you could beat a dude to death with them and use them for another 10 years easy!
But the main reason I keep them is that they're super comfortable! I wear glasses and even with my thick plastic frames they're comfortable.
All my other 'phones have a kinda vice like grip that after a while I have to pull them off my head. The DTs I can wear all day.

Bohni

Hey man, I might be a bit late, but if you still haven't decided yet, I'm making it even more difficult:
Superlux HD-681
I bought one myself as a "cheap gaming headphone", but realized pretty quickly that these are not really "cheap" sounding. I sometimes use them for mixing, even though I have some KRK KNS laying around.
The only "downside" is they are open backed, so not really suitable for recording.

OriginalNoGuru

Superlux gear can be really hit or miss... I had a condenser mic that was absolute gash but have a phantom powered ribbon that I use on my acoustic guitar and purcussion that I don't think I could live without!
It's pretty dark, sounds awful on vocals but seems to capture a warmth to my acoustic that I can't replicate with my other mics.
I seen those headphones on eBay really cheap though...
You really rate them?

Bohni

These headphones are my first superlux product, and I dont have professionally trained ears, but from what I can tell, I can say that you have a great stereo image and a decent freq. Response: you can hear everything clearly, maybe there is a slight bass boost (at least compared with my KRK KNS).

These superlux headphones might not compete with the big names in terms of quality, but if you are on a tight buget, they are perfectly fine in my opinion, and with the difference in price you almost get a at2020 xD

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Audio Technica ATH M40fs cans over here. Some of the best headphones I've ever owned. Very flat response out of these with none of the artificial "sparkle" on the high end some headphones introduce.

Sad that they've been discontinued, but there's still a few retailers with 'em for sale.

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
I went ahead and ordered a pair of Audio Technica ATH m50x. Super stoked on these as I had an original pair of m30s before.

OriginalNoGuru

Wifey bought me a pair of M50X for Christmas...
Much more comfortable than anticipated. Sound good.
Fair amount of plastic, so not sure on longevity at this point; my DT100's were given used nearly 20 years ago and are solid! Unfortunately, they're 600ohms so pretty quiet on some devices (MPC500 a nightmare) so felt the need to (finally) upgrade!

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Most of the reviews I have read are favorable ones. How flat are they compared to the DT100s?

OriginalNoGuru

They sound more 'alive' but haven't mixed anything as yet...
I never mix in cans tho... Use them to produce or as reference only...
I like them though!

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
Thanks for that. I am really looking forward to picking them up - hopefully they don't end up hurting my ears like the M30s do after a couple hours.

members online