Hello ILL Muzik Forum Members

Danswift

Drumbreak Detective
Hello there , my name is Danswift ,i'm a musician, crate digger and beat maker from the UK and i produce stuff using Roland SP-404 samplers which are played and recorded live to tape .

I'm mostlyy hardware based with a real passion for vintage tape decks ,reel-to-reel machines,FX units and Boomboxes.

Ive been into Hip Hop,Soul,Funk &Jazz for many years now which is where I draw the main influences for my own productions and I also have an unhealthy obsession with collecting 1970 's Prog Rock albums ..:)

Looking forward to hearing what the other members here are both producing and listening to..this place looks like a dope site!

My Beats:

Danswift

Drumbreak Detective
Welcome to the ILL! Nice intro... How long have you been using the 404?

Hi there Fade, thanks for the welcome!
I've been using the SP-404's for the last couple of years and I find them pretty much perfect for my needs at the moment...I used both the SP-808 & SP-808 EX originally which I still have although those machines were notoriously prone to zip drives crashing and are in need of some repairs at present..hopefully I'll get them up and running again at some point..

I'd really like to add the SP-303 to my set up as those little machines are very dope although I'd imagine that the days of finding one for a sensible price are long gone, unfortunately!

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Welcome @Danswift and do you work w/rappers, etc.?

Danswift

Drumbreak Detective
Edit:
Would it be possible for one of the moderators here to display this Band Camp embed as a link in my signature.?..I tried to do this originally but couldn't quite work it out..
thanks!

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Danswift I fixed your signature. If you go here https://www.illmuzik.com/account/signature and click the little gear icon at the top right, you can see the code. But you don't have to, you should just use the link icon to do all that.

Yeah the 303 looks nice too. I would love to get some older gear but I should have done it a few years ago. The prices today are insane! I came close to getting an Akai S900 a few years ago but it wasn't in great shape so I passed.

Danswift

Drumbreak Detective
@Danswift I fixed your signature. If you go here https://www.illmuzik.com/account/signature and click the little gear icon at the top right, you can see the code. But you don't have to, you should just use the link icon to do all that.

Yeah the 303 looks nice too. I would love to get some older gear but I should have done it a few years ago. The prices today are insane! I came close to getting an Akai S900 a few years ago but it wasn't in great shape so I passed.

Good luck with finding one, it's definitely worth the wait to find a machine for the right price and condition.

Yeah, I owned some pretty nice older gear in the early 90s that I wished I'd held on to now...I had a couple of analogue echo units that fetch ridiculous prices these days and the capabilities of those machines have also never been faithfully recreated by modern technology if the truth be told alas, no matter what plugin they try to sell you, hehe..:)

Both the S-900 & S-950 samplers were used in the mastering process on the E.P. I uploaded to Bandcamp recently... they're still absolutely amazing sounding machines in spite of their sampling limitations compared to more modern samplers.

I've been using a very cool (and bulky) Sony tape machine from the 70s recently with a built in amplifier which a friend kindly donated to me when he sold the contents of his recording studio... i usually switch it on and leave it for half an hour for the valves to get warmed up and use it as pre amp for the SP-404 when I'm jamming ideas or recording a live take of a track and absolutely love. it's sound.

Thanks for fixing my signature btw dude,much appreciated.!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's the main reason I was looking for that 900 - for the sound. I've checked numerous plug-ins and they do sound good but it's still all within the digital realm, versus actual hardware. You can't beat that sound!

A while ago I was even looking at some old DJ mixers and those too have gone up in price. I guess everyone's just upping their prices. :wtf:

members online