Help A Sista Out

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
Ayo, Big Congrats on the kit upgrades @OGBama! Lemme talk too much and get it outta the way. ALL LOVE

The best thing imo about crafting musical beds for your own lyrics is the freedom to complete your own vision without compromise.
without the barrier of communication and honesty you can go as far as your abilities take you and charge yourself whatever you want. ( how much equipment do you want for beats?)
Once you get the groove you may see an improvement in your flow. Being able to adjust the medium as you wish allows you to tune what you present with more granular control than is possible when communicating with another person. make it slower but faster isn't funny when its the best way to explain yourself, but you know what you mean. Learning how to say I want the sample detuned but the reverb sped up is another benefit of making your own beats. It will help you communicate with other beatmakers when you speak the language and use the same tools.
Good move.

Here's some quick notes on where I fucked up and things I learned going from an emcee to an emcee/beatmaker at least reading it might save you some time later;

1) For years I was so focused on beats that now I'm wack. aka don't skip leg day. you did this to be a better EMCEE, right?

2) I saved every sample I ever found. not really but it feels like it. Fk those samples, specially the drum hits. they're a dime a dozen. Be stupid selective with the ones you keep

3) Don't sacrifice your voice for your skill. Don't let helpful assists deter you from chasing your sound. Learn how to pick sense from non sense and take everything in a positive light.

4) Re: plug-ins, learn why you use the tools you use, it's all about sound selection. (Tip, it's 99% EQ). btw plug-ins are Tribbles, look up the trouble

5) Keep good notes and save frequently.

6) You might as well learn how to scratch now.

7) Yes, you do need to learn _____ (scales, keys, gtr, bass, theory). If difficult, read the words until you understand them naturally. get used to the language used to describe anything you're unfamiliar with, until you are familiar with the language. Usually the next read after you crack that will lead to an understanding of the idea expressed.

8) Don't wait for a curriculum. Start where you are, at the first thing you see. Learn everything until you learn what you need to learn next.

9) Do what you want or it won't be fun. Do it now to reduce regret.

10) Stop tellin' a room full of beatmakers that support you that you can't find a beatmaker sucka

Lemme hear some beats sista!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@drex

1) I'll still write lyrics.

2) I'll be learning gradually to make my own drum kits and thanks to @nottr my first pre-made kit is the Apollo Brown kit

3) I need positivity in abundance.

4) I don't mind learning what does what as everything has a distinct function. I refuse to be a plugin addict.

5) I'm a writer at heart beyond lyrics so note taking is my thing. Ditto for saving.

6) No can do.

7) I never had much in the way of formal music education so I don't see theory as academic and/or "dry" aka boring ' so instead I see theory as the language of music and I'm willing to learn it. Piano is the way forward for me.

8) My lack of formal experiences re: music education are why I don't care to wait for a curriculum as in my case if I did wait it'll be the death of my creative self. I believe in "start where you are. Use what you have, do what you can." Arthur Ashe. The use what you have part resonates w/me especially as my aim is to be a gear minimalist for life.

9) I will 'til death as IRL no one's ever told me re: ageism about creating Hip Hop especially. Making music is ageless. I'm here to be a music lifer.

10) Amen.

Last edited:

Audiobellum

Beatmaker
What are the pros of someone who is mainly a lyricist/rapper maybe wanting to get into learning over time how to compose her own instrumentals (not to sell nor rap over, as for the latter I'd rap and write to someone else's instrumentals for vocal practice).

I'd leave mixing/mastering to someone else (e.g. pay someone) as that part doesn't intrigue me.

I'm a rapper/writer at heart but it's so many beat hustlers, etc. who just want money and no artistic relationship.

I'm solely a Rap lyricist, but have no one to produce for me (keep in mind I'm Black and female, so much of what I know about relationships regarding music is the "quid pro quo" scenario that plays out in popular culture via "Love & Hip Hop" which I don't see me getting into consciously and/or unconsciously as I have morals) .

I want to learn how to produce (but with no goal of selling beats) but have no formal musical chops and I'm about learning one thing at a time so what should I do?

I'd recommend learning how to play songs on the piano first; it's way easier than you'd think. Check out the Youtube channel Piano in 21 days; all the education is free (last time I checked) and it's all legit. Here's one video that will give you a taste of what you'll learn:

Once you've learned how to play at least one song (just one), you can go on the learn basic music theory such as modes and key changes. Here's a videos that helped me out:

However, they're better videos out their that can think you a bit as well. Once you've got all your music theory knowledge, head over to a DAW and start making beats; my favorite DAW is FL studios. As someone who suffers from ADHD, I learnt basic music theory in just few mouths and I could have learnt more if I had more free time. assuming that you don't have ADHD, I'd assume that you'd be able to learn everything I have in a much shorter period of time. Everything I know about making beats; I learnt in half a year or less (I can't remember). Learning music isn't that hard; it is. It really isn't that hard. Oh my god, it isn't hard. Believe me, it isn't hard. The only hurdle is getting a cheap keyboard. You can do it, I believe in you!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@slimegreenbeats

8C3654C3-19AB-494D-B58C-CD4E7AF41AEB.jpeg

Attachments

• 00555531-9845-4845-9B01-933502373888.jpeg
    00555531-9845-4845-9B01-933502373888.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • BDF60196-821A-4D1F-A884-DD5322FF197B.jpeg
    BDF60196-821A-4D1F-A884-DD5322FF197B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@YannFer @Armani I won't be using Sitala on that plugin list as MPC Beats has its own sampler option and GarageBand has AU Sampler

Might upgrade to MPC 2 at some point.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

UpanComer

I'll tell you what I did.
Initially all I had was woodwind instrument and no mics, mpd's, monitors, piano, bass, guitar etc.
My musical education was basically "beginner", I knew the C-Major scale and could play my instrument
relatively well.
By the time I bought FL Studio proper, I'd already been rapping for damn near ten years. lol.

However this is when I started to realize I really didn't understand the music I was listening too.
So what I did was this:
Cop a daw of any kind (I went with FL).
Buy a book on music theory (anyone will do but I recommend Mark Harrison's series of Music Theory Books !)
Buy a song writing book (Jai Josef's is great ! I recommend it !)
Get yourself a midi keyboard, some nice headphones, some cheap or free VST's (Piano, Guitar, Bass, Drums)
Listen to lots and lots of Funk, Soul, Jazz, & Hip-Hop.
Read the production credits (I'm a dork for this kinda stuff !)
And then begin to put songs together !
I'm still learning the song writing and production aspect in tandem myself and my collection of (real)
instruments and vst's has only grown, as has my digital and physical music collection and the series
of books on theory I have as well.

This is a dope journey to be on and I feel having these sorts of resources will cut the time to product
down tremendously.

NatureRok

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
few quick things to keep in mind.. dont become a gear head until you have your overall workflow down.. (for example, once you learn one daw, its easier to learn the others.. you have a workflow already at that point and it will just be a matter of learning the new daw layout.. ie..)..then decide if you are going to be sampling.. or creating your own. or a bit of both.. same on vsts as my prev statement on gear..once you do feel you have an understanding of not only writing, but arranging and mixing.. you will start to see what you will need and will be fodder.. 1luv

note*- when the smoke clears you want your setup to serve as the smoothest and most efficient (and also fun) way to get whats in your head to come out of the speakers.. whatever daw/ gear and combo that ends up bein.. so be it..dont get caught in brands too hard.. outside of staying away from generic companies.. (research will assist there)

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Being @NatureRok a gear head doesn't appeal to me but back in July I bought both MPC 2 for $99 and AIR Power Pack (Hybrid 3/Mini Grand/Velvet 2) for $9.99 via Plugin Boutique.

Finally figured out how to reset and save my drum pad presets in MPK Software Manager and figured out how to program my Q-Links so I'm good to go!

nonameswifi

I would definitely recommend getting around some producers. IMO that is the BEST way to learn..

Collaborate and surround yourself with people who you can learn from. This will cut your learning curve in half.. Music production is a very complex art form and it helps to have someone or a group of people around who can keep you on the right path and avoiding distractions such as the urge to buy things and invest time in things that are unnecessary.

Its hard to find these people because as you say they are flooded out in the sea of hustlers which there is nothing wrong with hustling, haha! we all gotta hustle some way.. But I think forums like this are actually a good start because usually the people are more committed and care about the craft much more than the average producer on Instagram or Twitter tryna sell beats.