Help A Sista Out

OGBama

Greatest Woman Alive
What are the pros of someone who is mainly a lyricist/rapper maybe wanting to get into learning over time how to compose her own instrumentals (not to sell nor rap over, as for the latter I'd rap and write to someone else's instrumentals for vocal practice).

I'd leave mixing/mastering to someone else (e.g. pay someone) as that part doesn't intrigue me.

I'm a rapper/writer at heart but it's so many beat hustlers, etc. who just want money and no artistic relationship.

I'm solely a Rap lyricist, but have no one to produce for me (keep in mind I'm Black and female, so much of what I know about relationships regarding music is the "quid pro quo" scenario that plays out in popular culture via "Love & Hip Hop" which I don't see me getting into consciously and/or unconsciously as I have morals) .

I want to learn how to produce (but with no goal of selling beats) but have no formal musical chops and I'm about learning one thing at a time so what should I do?

Last edited:
ProducerSpot

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 91
You should Start! IMO you are holding back for too long...You should open that DAW look around, post questions...and finally post some music here, so we can check it out and come up with some suggestions...That's my tip...I'm sure everyone here will be glad to help a sista out...You should just start, make that first step.

YannFer

Mr Bernard
Battle Points: 33
You should Start! IMO you are holding back for too long...You should open that DAW look around, post questions...and finally post some music here, so we can check it out and come up with some suggestions...That's my tip...I'm sure everyone here will be glad to help a sista out...You should just start, make that first step.
Yes, take the leap.
Really, nowadays the barriers to entry are so low to this thing... Daws take care of the music theory for you and you got so many tutorials on youtube.

However if you're not sure about how much fun you will have, you might want to try yourself before buying a real Daw which is quite expensive (except Reaper but I wouldn't advise this one to begin with) and the learning curve can be slow and discouraging.

So here's how I started :
I bought a rap magazine when I was about 13 (which takes us back in 2000).
There was a software included free, then named "eJay".
I checked, it still exists, sells complete for $20 and looks like this now

... so yes, it's ugly as shit but I learned so many things with it and you won't get lost (unlike some daws).

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 91
Yes, take the leap.
Really, nowadays the barriers to entry are so low to this thing... Daws take care of the music theory for you and you got so many tutorials on youtube.

However if you're not sure about how much fun you will have, you might want to try yourself before buying a real Daw which is quite expensive (except Reaper but I wouldn't advise this one to begin with) and the learning curve can be slow and discouraging.

So here's how I started :
I bought a rap magazine when I was about 13 (which takes us back in 2000).
There was a software included free, then named "eJay".
I checked, it still exists, sells complete for $20 and looks like this now

... so yes, it's ugly as shit but I learned so many things with it and you won't get lost (unlike some daws).
ohh ejay...i had fun with this thing when i was a kid...i didn't know that still exists.

ArvinArmani

Vermin Versace - Thy Forgotten One
Battle Points: 224
What are the pros of someone who is mainly a lyricist/rapper maybe wanting to get into learning over time how to compose her own instrumentals
You'll learn how to leave space for the rapper better, but I'm not sure if you should choose that path as your main one, because it may take many years for you to learn. just play around with the day like 1h a day, learn music theory, and we'll mostly be down to give you the crucial info that we learned through hours of work and experiencing through a shorter amount of time.

so many beat hustlers, etc. who just want money and no artistic relationship.
that's exactly my problem. I asked a rapper if he wants to collab, he said yes, I said I ain't a "type beat" maker or smth, I want to have the connection with you and the artwork in the result, he's like "Ok homie das :fire: lit 100 DAB", 5 seconds of silence, then he's like "Sooooo yea, I want a hype lil uzi type beat"...

have no one to produce for me
dude wtf :D

Primz

Dnt be part of the best, be the best.
Battle Points: 138
What are the pros of someone who is mainly a lyricist/rapper maybe wanting to get into learning over time how to compose her own instrumentals (not to sell nor rap over, as for the latter I'd rap and write to someone else's instrumentals for vocal practice).

I'd leave mixing/mastering to someone else (e.g. pay someone) as that part doesn't intrigue me.

I'm a rapper/writer at heart but it's so many beat hustlers, etc. who just want money and no artistic relationship.

I'm solely a Rap lyricist, but have no one to produce for me (keep in mind I'm Black and female, so much of what I know about relationships regarding music is the "quid pro quo" scenario that plays out in popular culture via "Love & Hip Hop" which I don't see me getting into consciously and/or unconsciously as I have morals) .

I want to learn how to produce (but with no goal of selling beats) but have no formal musical chops and I'm about learning one thing at a time so what should I do?
There are alot of beat makers who want an artist relationship, for instance iv been looking for a good rapper for close to 5 years now and still havent found one

Iron Keys

ILLIEN
*** ill o.g. ***
Battle Points: 7
Yo forgive me, I'm confused... what do you want to make the beats for??

You don't wanna rap on them, you don't wanna write to them, and you don't want to use them for others??

OGBama

Greatest Woman Alive
I @Iron Keys want to make instrumentals to have a second skill partly ‘cause I like listening to instrumentals.

Selling instrumentals doesn’t appeal to me ‘cause I wouldn’t want to deal w/flakes nor the hustle.

I’d write/rap to others instrumentals to not let my inner rapper/lyricist die.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN
*** ill o.g. ***
Battle Points: 7
As for the "pros" of learning to make beats, it would probably come down to the following...

- having an understanding similar to the producer; this might make communication easier when working with one as a rapper.

- give you a better understanding "musically"; in terms of elements of a track and arrangement, rhythms, harmonies, hooks, and how you can use that knowledge as a vocalist/writer

- potentially reveal sonic/musical influences; and that may help you when selecting beats for a project such as an album or ep or whatever, to give some direction, glue or an overal image/sound

I can see those being the only real standout "pros" of learning to make beats. But if your focus and passion is rapping/writing then it may be worth just really focussin on every aspect of that; writing, performance, mic technique, learning about songwriting etc.
But also if you wanna learn making beats then go for it also, just be clear to yourself what you really wanna do with your life/time.

Members online

illmuzik on youtube

ill resources

ProducerSpot