Help Wit Setup!!!!!!

• beat this! voting starts in...

*~Snaelro Wen~*

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Hi! This is my first post, so nice to meet you all and I hope yall can help me out.

I have a hard one for you guys so here it goes...

Im not new to recording but I am new to using hardware. (I felt like i was getting no where with lame software, typical transition..lol!) I want to be able to take what ive done on my MPC and take it into pro tools so i can mix it down and add stuff to it. Also I want to sample from my turntable(and i have a phono preamp, is that right?) Where do i plug in everything? the pre amp has 4 rca's, one set with input and one with output. Do i plug in the mpc thru the record in? Im so confused! Also do i have to connect my MPC thru midi AND have it connected to the input of the sound interface to get it to sync with pro tools? Let me explain what i have first before i go on.

1. Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop
2. Akai MPC 2000xl w\ 8 Out Expansion
3. M-Audio Keystation 88es
4. Digidesign Mbox (The First One)
5. M-Audio BX5a Monitors
6. Sony PS-LX250H Turntable
7. Phono Preamp
8. M-Audio Midisport 2x2

Software

1. Pro Tools LE
2. Sampletank 2 XL

Okay. Also, how will i get sound from the MPC if its connected to the Mbox? Will It pick it up from the mbox if connected to it? Im really worried that i wont get playback on the mpc cuz the speaker not connected directly to it. Also, does it matter that im using midi ports that not on the mbox if i want to midi sync the mpc and the keystation? Ive been researched and ive learned alot but i just wanna be sure of everything. Im a total noob to setting up hardware and knowing how they communicate. I made a blueprint on how to hook up everything. I might have more ?'s but my brains fried. HELP ME!!!

Attachments

• Setup.JPG
    Setup.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 122

*~Snaelro Wen~*

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks so much homie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So ill be able to get sound for the mpc and turntable with this setup like this? also u had a type that said "Pre Amp Line Out To The MPC Line Line"...what line is you talkin bout lol :)
I thought you had to connect the Pre Amps Out ports to the Record In ports on the MPC, but i dunno your prolly right.

Also i plan on using the sounds on sampletank to add to the cuts on pro tools for mixing and stuff, so if i hook up the keystation your way would i still be able to do that AND have the capabilities to sync the keyboard and MPC to pro tools?

Thanks for all your help!

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
I would recommend getting a mixer with 4 aux sends, and a phono input.

This way, everything can be hooked up the right way, without having to pull out cables, sending anything to anything, AND you won't ever have to have anything on "record ready" or turn your Mbox to "input" to hear everything go through it.

You can have your turntables, keyboard, MPC and Mbox, and soundcard in channels 1-4. (Turntables can be in channel 1 on the phono side and you won't need a phono box and you can usually share channel 1 with a line input of something else. But it's either on phono or line at a time, so for the line input of something else you would need to hook up something you wouldn't use with the turntable)

Then, send aux 1&2 to your MPC, and aux 3&4 to your Mbox.

Now if you need to send anything to your MPC, just turn up aux 1&2 on that particular channel, and anything to your Mbox you can turn up aux 3&4. BUT DON'T EVER send your MPC on aux 1&2 or send your Mbox on aux 3&4. You will then send it to itself and get a feedback loop. You can even put tape on the knobs on these channels so you won't mess this up.

Mixers like this may cost a couple bux, but it's worth it.

If not, just do it how you have it set up, but then you'll have to enable record to hear anything go through your setup.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG164

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SPIRW5651

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMM12FX

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG102

All you need is 2 aux sends, especially if you're sampling in mono. You can always split out one of the aux sends so that it goes to your MPC and your Mbox. Or... that will be the only thing you switch back and forth when you sample. But the point is to not have to keep switching back and forth, so look at these few simple mixers and you'll be straight. I can't vouch for any of them personally, but Yamaha and Alesis haven't let me down yet.

*~Snaelro Wen~*

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Now is it possible to get sound by connecting the digital outputs on my mpc to the digital ports on the mbox

Also, Can I get the my tracks seperated in pro tools by hooking up the 8 outs on my mpc to the mixer??? Can yall explain a way i can record 8 tracks at a time from my mpc with the alesis multimix 12fx and the mbox... if there is one

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
I'm not sure about SPDIF with the MPC. Does the MPC have SPDIF or optical out? I know the Mbox has SPDIF in and out, but I've never used it myself, nor do I know its compatibility with other equipment. That's where I'm not savvy at all.

There's no way to record 8 tracks of audio simultaneously with an Mbox. Mbox only has two inputs, so that's what you get at one time. It sux, but that's what you get for $495 or less.