help!

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i'm kinda new to this beat makin my beats are ill and i've sold a few (for good money)the problem is i dont know how to go about copywriting my material so all the beats i've sold up to now i've basiclly givin all rights to the artist who bought them.
some one told me go to the library of congress since i live in dc.
i'm just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to copyrighting than the lawyers (90-185 dollars is the range i've seen)?

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
get some copywrit forms of the internet print them up and send them of with a cd and they'll send you something back...Or you can go with the poor mans copywrite , mail some beats to yourself but don't open it and if someone jerks you that mailed unopened package is submicable in court because it's post dated

C

Copenhagen

Why do people call it 'poor man's copyright'? I'd call it 'smart man's copyright'...why pay the lawyer to have it archived etc when you can send it to yourself and just hire a lawyer if/when the beat gets stolen.

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for all the advice,the "poor mans copyright" seems like theres too many legal loop holes though has anyone sucsessfully done this in a court of law?

where do i go to get the online forms?

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
the poor mans copywright does not hold up in court, did we just talk about this

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by Guevara
the poor mans copywright does not hold up in court, did we just talk about this

Uuumh...how come? I see no reason why it doesn't...even KODA ,or I think it's called BMI in america (the people who pay you if your tracks have received airplay etc), recommend you to just do the 'poor man's copyright'...

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
with the poor mans copywrite a lawyer could easily say you mailed an open envolope and put the cd in at a later date,somehow opened the envolope without damaging it and then resealed it,you have to remember you are innocent untill proven guilty,but i could be wrong

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
they say to stray away from poor man's -- just spend the 30 some odd bucks and do it right

C

Copenhagen

Hmmn...ok. I think I need to get KODA to wrap it for me...I even think it's free and that they pursue the culprit if I can't afford a lawyer...

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
word, its only 30 bucks, and its guilty until proven innocent...remember that

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
JUST CURIOUS WHAT IS THIS "KODA,BMI" STUFF YOU KEEP TALKIN BOUT, TOLD YOU I JUST STARTED BOUT 18 MONTHS AGO?

C

Copenhagen

I think KODA is called BMI in the US...but anyway, here you pay a little amount to become a member of KODA. KODA get's money from radio Stations and other places that play music to crowds etc...and they pay it to those artists who have gotten airplay e.g. some of the more famous artists get's millions a year. Also, everytime you have a full song or just a text or beat...you fill out this form and send it to them and they wrap it with the date
...copyright etc. They also give out money to music projects...usual amount is approx. $4650...which you can use for CD-copying, distrbution, studio time etc if you're a new artist. They do lots of other stuff too...

changalang

i make beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
Originally posted by inrctyhoodmusic
get some copywrit forms of the internet print them up and send them of with a cd and they'll send you something back...Or you can go with the poor mans copywrite , mail some beats to yourself but don't open it and if someone jerks you that mailed unopened package is submicable in court because it's post dated
so if email myself some beats and dont open it then its a "poor mans" copywrite :eek:

members online