Hey! Any tips/advice for the road to music production?

K

KStreetz

So I just started learning to produce beats/and mix audio recording with tracks using FL Studio 11 and Cubase 5 last week. I've been putting in an insane amount of hours just getting familiarized with the programs (like sleepless nights). I really am interested in this and I was just wondering if you all have any advice for this new-found road I am headed down?

Pointers on where to start?
Where I should go to start improving?
Where to go to learn more intermediate/advanced things?

Thank You!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Start with making a song start to finish, there's a lot in there to grasp already without even getting technical on the mixing part. Dont fuss with eq/comp etc, just make a track and get the levels right in the mix meaning, nothing should peak and the sum of it all (level on the master /2 track) shouldnt peak either.

Good result gives you a "loud" track where instruments dont squash eachother (you can still hear a lot of detail in each instrument).

Keep reading!

K

KStreetz

Thanks :) And I have already been able to learn about how to add sounds to the mixer and make sure everything doesn't peak and get them to be the highest sound exported track possible. I'll post this in a different section....

K

KStreetz

Ok so I've been experimenting with mixing and I'm able to constantly produce loud sounds. I can make beats but I know there's gotta be more to single notes and rhythms and an effect here and there. I'm just wondering where to go to further my knowledge.

See here's the 1st beat I released after my VERY 1st one I made I took that as a learning experiment so technically this is my 2nd I made but only one to release haha (this was on my 4th day today's now my 10th on the road :))

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I'm not going to listen to the music, but if you want to improve. Listen to professional production if your music doesn't sound as good... then you still have work to do

As far as what you need to do... All the answers are in the professional tracks you're using as a reference

Klangboks

ill o.g.
Make sure that the parts/sounds you use don't clash without having to reach for the eq (I'm talking about frequencies). If it's difficult to hear a certain part in your track, and turning up the volume just makes it drown out another part, it's likely that the two parts (or sounds) occupy the same space in the frequency-spectrum. Try changing up one of them. And if you'd like to know your way around your DAW, read the manual. It's boring, but pays.

members online