Hi-Hats

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What's up guys? I have been spending about two days on working on my drum programming/pattern/molding skills. I have been working on various things surrounding the drums on a tracks; the kick, the snare and that's all. I always was under the impression that the basic elements of a drum pattern are the kick (is that the same as bass drum?), snare (there are various types of snares?), hi-hat and what else? I know of toms and stuff, when do you guys use toms? I know that it is all about creativity, but I am trying to just experiment with basics because I want to master the fundamentals first.

My problem is hi-hats. I don't really have a problem, I just don't understand the purpose, the intent of the sound, and the usage of hi-hats? Sometimes, my drums sound thick and dimensional without a HI-HAT, but when I add the hi-hat, it does provide a little more swing, rhytm and depth to my track.

Based on music composition and theory, when are HI-HATs mostly played on a piece? You know how most of the time you hit the snares on the 2 and 4? I notice the HI-HATS are mostly rode all the way through, is this right? Like it seems they add more base, structure and rhythm to the track than the SNARE.

Also, what are the different sounds of hi-hats? I am familiar with the OPEN HAT and I guess, a CLOSED. How do you decide your hat?

If anyone has any sites or personal information, I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Oh, also, what are some common effects to throw on a HAT? In terms of mixing, I read that you usually pan your HATS to the left or right for realism and dimension. I tried that and it DID sound rich.

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Just listen to some funk or early hip hop breaks, hi-hats are played as 16th notes, but each quarter note is stressed. It gives it songs a more rigid feel but also allows drummers to emphasize snare ghost notes and hits. Take the "amen" break as an example, without the hi-hat, there is no funk or feel at all. Also, if you're working with a time signature using triplets / swing, hi-hats/rides emphasize that swing.

I play the drums, and I prefer a semi-closed hi-hat where you can hear the hi-hat reverberate a bit, but it really depends. But anyway definitely check out some funk tunes and videos and try to replay the drum lick in your head without the hi-hat and you'll hear something definitely missing. best of luck to ya

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Manguino has it right, run a high pass filter over some of your favorite break beats, listen to the hi hat, put your MPC on 16 levels for velocity, and try to recreate some of those grooves with similar dynamics and timing.
Keep in mind in non electronic music the hi hat is really the timekeeper and the groovemaker and the guide to show everyone else the way. the whole band follows the pattern on the hi hat....

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i don't always do it but i like dropping the hi hats during the chorus sometimes. its like it allows people to get a different perspective on those same sounds that were in the verse. it makes a bigger difference than you'd think.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As far as effects go on hi hats try tossing a lil delay on em for an extra bit of shuffle... too much and it'll get out of hand but just the right amount and it'll sound dope. For the rythmic pattern I use closed hats and sometimes throw on a semi open for variety and for the extra points try shit like a tamborine or something on the 2 and 4 or maby the 1. I'm no expert or anything but these techniques have finally made me feel happy with my hats and precussion creation.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Listen to diff't genres music and there subgenres. For example, on a derty south beat most of the time they're Hi hat heavy, meaning they usually ride the entire track maybe a little variation in spots. That variation is usually done by running the hi hat constant but having a change up in veloscity(hard medium) which causes a swing. In R&B IMO it's mainly used for timing since good R&B may have some live instrumentation. I know for a fact it's used that way in Jazz. Most genres that call for live instuments need a timing source and the hi hats are usually it.

Experiement with your percussions! That's something I don't think we do enough in Hip Hop but it would probably take our drum patterns to another level. GOOD THREAD BY THE WAY.....definitely one of the best ones I've seen since jumping on this site!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
HH when used properly are extremely cool.Go back and time and listen to the "Back to Life" beat..This is a good example of how an open hh can help slide a beat.
Generic house beats always have the open inbetween the kick and the snare
(ie: bump sss pah sss bump sss pah sss).
HHs come in so many forms its silly, but using the wrong one on your track is really noticable, some trax require a crispy high pitched closed hat while others may need a thick lower closed or half open sound.
Like has been said listening to diff genres helps you grasp an understanding of exactly how they can effect a track.
Down South they are almost essential, I have yet to have a car drive by with the boomin system that didnt have not only the bass rattling trunks but always a crispy bz ass tripling up hh is noticable..

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hi hats can be used for a lot of things but typically theyre both a timekeeper and the biggest source of swing. a lot of people think swing is in the kicks and snares but real swing is really in a hi hat pattern that is shifted late (typically) a few ticks and that has some good dynamic tension in its pattern...by that i mean using two hi hats together, a lot of big producers do this on the mp using two similar but slightly different closed hats, timbaland does this a lot. a lot of producers will also mix a closed and open hat using a choke group or mute group on the MPC...this is very important to do because a real drummer won't play an open and closed hat simultaneously, this is what putting them in a mute group does. battery actually has some very cool choke group features for hi hats so that you can let an open hat continue to decay while its mute kicks in after you trigger a closed hat, a lot of stuff like that.

my advice is really to listen to a lot of jazz, bob marley, classic soul, and early breaks. if you do that you'll understand where the producers today get their hat ideas from. i was actually just studying the hats on hola hovito by jay z and timbaland yesterday, that song is a great example of how much swing hi hats can give a pattern, as well as the technique of using 2 different hats at once.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've actually started using hat sets from old breaks just to have similar sounding stuff for trying what Hi-Lo said. It deffinately helps to have a choice of different sounds that still match because they come from the same original drum kit.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I was gonna say something about drums (as a drummer) but everybody said what I was gonna say...

Basically, in hip hop, a hihat is not necessary, but it gives dynamic to the beat. As for the different kind of hihat, well the different sounds come from the opening of the hihat and what was used to hit the hihat.

Ex:
Opened Hihat hit with a brush
Semi-closed hihat hit with a small stick...
etc...

Or the sound can be artificial (from the TR808, for instance)

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for all the info ya'll. I read everything and have been reading up on the history of the drum kit and each part and it really has helped me produce better. I now know WHY I am using a certain instrument and the effect it tends to have for listeners.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hihats are also used for energy particularly in southern beats. You will hear a lot of crunk songs that have the hihats tapping slowly in the first bar of the verse and then double speed for the second bar while the drums go crazy and then back down again.