Hip Hop Argument...

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Okay, me and my guy got into this big ass arguement yesterday about hip hop... And i came to realize how MTV and BET make hip hop out to be something totally horrible (i realized it before but now im sick).. This cat actually thinks all of this mainstream garbage is hip hop!!! LIL FLIP HIP HOP!!!??? Not hatin on the man but c'mon.. This cat is supposed to be the "freestyle king" Have you heard his freestyles!? Garbage!! Rims, hoes and clothes... I mean its okay to talk on that shit a little but don't base your whole career and all your albums around it, be creative... But i want to make something clear here I aint no backpacker ass cat.. I listen to alot of garbage but i wouldn't consider it hip hop, u know? I listen to everyone but c'mon this shit out here is definitly not interesting.. Another group we touched down on was outcast... I love outcast them cats are just amazing.... And i do belive they are hip hop, that atliens album was sick along with there others.. I may be just rambling on but i wanted to know how the illmuzik fam feels about hip hop right now! Who do you feel in the main industry is pumpin out hip hop classics? What is hip hop now? U feel me? It evolved into something different and it's being called hip hop.... And real hip hop (people who actually make music with a good concept and feeling and live it) is looked at as wack! I don't see what happened here... All this garbage ass no talent havin bullshit is movin in and puttin cats with talent out of business or keepin them where they're at... I guess what im stuck on is, What is hip hop now!? cause im lost...

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
so you do not like the products they try to sell you, huh. mainstream has always been forcefeed on people. this my freind will never change, unless the economy itself crashes and the dollar becomes worthless. these executives have such of an impact on the image of hip-hop, especially younger heads getting into it. but,, i think the culture side of it is untouchable, no matter who sells out. the things that look negative for hip-hop are not always. the more commercial success shows through and through that hip-hop is a cash crop. and it opens doors for cats. all you can do is support who you like and spread the word about them.

its funny that you say what is hip-hop now, cuz im writting a song called "what is hip-hop" and im hitting some of these issues.
to think of hip-hop as a word rather than the music, i would say its a state-of-mind or a lifestyle,
if it wasnt for hip-hop i would be locked up, but i got locked up for hip-hop, such a tricky bitch!!

HCTarks

Wax Mangler
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
until 12-16 year olds have less discretionary income expect this to never change

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
StressWon said:
Hip Hop is 4 elements:

MCeein

Breakin

Graphers

DJayin/turntablism

Thats Hip Hop. There are no others. (.)

word up....you do have your "sub-genres" too! Beatboxing (Mcing) , Producers (DJing)

E

Equality 7-2521

DJ Hoppa said:
word up....you do have your "sub-genres" too! Beatboxing (Mcing) , Producers (DJing)

and on the zulu nation website, KNOWLEDGE is the unofficial 5th element.

I watch "Hiphop" on mtv when i need a good cold hearted laugh.

Hiphop is what it always was. In essence it will always be the same.

pop music culture has no say.

Hiphop is an attitude and Hiphop music is an expression of that attitude.

XpLiCiiT

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I think most of the so called hip hop on the radio aswell as tv isnt hip hop in my eyes. If you think about it all the rappers rap about the same thing and have no point to their rapps as real hip hop has a sotry behind each track real shit man not about ice and bitches and cars..

D-RICH

ill o.g.
i honestly dont feel that we will ever see real hip-hop on tv...if we dont make moves on trying to get what we consider real hip hop heard...buying records...promoting records...etc...we all realize that everyone is for where there is money...especially guaranteed money...and its is not there for "real hip-hop"....a big part of the "hip-hop" community/pop communtiy wil buy that saucey stuff before anything...not to sound like i am hating..cause there are some stuff out that are pretty ok...but we cant really complain about "pop-hop"...and the moves they make knowing the industy is about getting there money

holla at ya boy boy...3

HCTarks

Wax Mangler
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
we'll never see real hiphop on tv because most 12-16 year olds dont dig real hiphop

12-16 year olds have the most discretionary income

they have no bills.. yet their parents give them money, and they can do whatever they want with it. therefore alot of the companies/radio target the 12-16 year old. sad but true.

a couple years ago, my ex-gf was interested in broadcast journalism.. so she asked me to go with her to this radio school orientation in the bay area, ca. the speaker worked for radio for more than 20 years, and he was currently a top person at radio disney. he told all of us.. "we dont care what your favorite song is.. we really dont care about the music.. it's all about what the 12 year olds want to listen to... they spend the most money on music." (he wasnt just talking about radio disney, he was talkin about all of radion as a whole)

from then on.. i never looked at radio the same again

ill o.g.
KNow what would just end this whole Fake Hip-Hop People argument?

If we got Afrika Bam, Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, and some more people that have been around from the beginning ("The OFFICIAL Pioneers") and they made a list of who is fake and a list of who is not.

But turn on the TV. You can see who is doin this to make music. You can also see who is here tryin to be fanous or make money. But the kids turnin on the TV say "whoa, ice bling rims jerseys! Thats a rapper." Nobodies there to tell them that there not rappers. There justy dumbasses who dont understand what Hip-Hop really is.

In my opionion, you want to see real hip-hop:
-Go find some early 90s DMC Tapes (DJ and Breakin)
-Go to the train station and check out the art
-Find a group of people on the corner freestylin for fun (who aint lookin to make money or be famous)

Thats HIP-HOP.

D

djhappee

well...

before i got into radio, i had my selected songs/artists that i loved more than anything....to me it didnt matter unless it was them. when i got into radio and saw music as an industry, i learned one important thing.....EVERYONE has their own interpretation of what REAL MUSIC or Hip Hop is. THAT is the bottomline.

Also, no one will ever remember or talk about the guys that almost, didn't, shoulda made it......they only remember the hits. think of the guys from the 80's era of hip hop, and you can figure it out. KRS 1???? He was mainstream!

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
djhappee said:
KRS 1???? He was mainstream!

WHAT? Why because they used to play him on local radio stations? When he was on, it was way before there was any real commercial rap. Cats weren't makin as much money as they do now. And we all know that they aint really makin the dough they rhyme about! That was a different time, a time when white suburbia was just starting to get into "hip hop". Befor it was cool to dress like you were from the hood. BEFORE Hip Hop was music to listen to because ya like it, not because eveyone else was listenin to it....What the bottom line is:

4 Elements.

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You know I think people forget that your idea of real Hip-Hop has alot to do with where you are from. I am from Arkansas. I live in AZ now but AR is my home. And down there we did not listen to all that stuff from New York. We had our own thing going on. So when you talk about LiL Flip and 3-6 mafia and say that is not real hip-hop you are so wrong. If you lived down south it would be. What people forget is yes hip-hop started on the east coast but where did it really come from? If you don't know it all came from the BLUES!!!!!!!!! And where is the home of the blue you may ask. It is down south in good old Memphis,Tenn. Now I thought that Hip-Hop is about expression. Telling your story as you see it. And that is really what these people are doing. Just because you don't know what they are talking about does not mean you have to put them down. I think everyone should make that trip down south to Memphis or Houston and see how things run down there. And then listen to what these guys are talking about. I think then you will see why they talk about the stuff that they do.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
I think the videos explain it for themselves. I was watchin one the other day. It showed some cats rockin all kinds of ice(Neck,wrist,teeth,,,etc) Rhymin infront of a broken down house with Hot ass Video Hoes dancin around, and I believe they were drinkin out of crystal glasses with $40,000 cars chillin on the lawn. I don't remeber the artist, but they are all the same. I dunno what hood they from, but I never seen anything like that around me!!! Thats keepin it real!!! LOL

,,,,Okay Truth,,,where are ya,,,,,,,lol

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well I was only speaking on the music. And what do you mean keep it real? I hate when people say that. You don't want them to be real. You just want them to do what you think is real.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
I think, "keep it real" is stupid too, but all these cats today are talkin about bein real,,,but they are not!

And if ya was only speakin on the music then lets look at it. Lets take 3 6 Mafia for example,,,,,They have Mafia in they're name so why in the hell will they be rappers. Last I checked bein in the "Mafia' of any kind makes alot more money then a rapper. And if these cats are rhymin about what they used to do,,,kill, sell, clock,,pimp,,blah, blah, blah, blah blahhhh.....why admit to it on a record??? All these so called "Gangstas" talk shit. Its wack and its not what Hip Hop is about. Ya dig? If all these cats really did have "Feds" after them,,,they're records are irrefutable evidence to bring them in.LOL

Hip Hop is Hip Hop no matter where ya from or livin. It IS expression, and rhymin about what ya see where ya from is essential to Hip hop,,,but when rappers put themselves infront of some dude from the block who was a real Thug,,,,thats just plain WACK! And thats what these cats are doin.

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You know you have some very good points there my friend. But what you said about Hip Hop is not where you are from is not all that right. I mean if I was a rapper I could not talk about what I don't know. Now if I grew up around thugs and drugs and big booty Hoes, that is what I will talk about. You know why, because hip-hop is expression. Expression for yourself. So with that said why should anyone change what they talk about because you think it is wack?

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
what I think is "wack" is:

1) The majority of these rappers don't even write they're own rhymes.

2) Alotta rappers havnt really seen these things.

3)As an MC myself, I grew up around alotta the same shit, did "things" I'm not proud of, and caught cases in real life,,,BUT I never rgyme about that because who cares.

4)Bottom line is these cats are rhymin all this bullshit just to get paid! I mean we all wanna get paid, but at what cost?

members online