Hip-Hop Balance

Mikemaster G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Everbody, let's look at the current state of hip-hop: album sales decline, criticism of its degratory lyrics against women, violence, the use of explicit lyrics, its use of "video hos" in its music videos, snap-mania(u know what I mean) and there is so much more that I can't even type about. You might say that we need a new direction for hip-hop to move forward with. Some say alternative rap is the key, yet it has gained no mainstream attention; some say it is the South's fault for creating dumbdown music.
I say this: music is music. It doesn't hurt to hear music to dance to, but the problem is there is not a positive side of it in the mainstream. It seems that "real" hip-hop don't seems to educate people in a musical way expecially in Africn-American communities. What we need is a balance between the many different subgenres of hip-hop and start by buying the artists' albums and support them 100%. NO BULLSHIT!!!
We must preserve what's ours; it doesn't matter what race you are. We are the only one to change the state of hip-hop, not those fucking rich muthafuckas that run the music industry. We are HIP-HOP, there's
NOT!!!!!!

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hip Hop is diverse. Unfortunately, it's outlets are not. The music is not the problem. I have no problem finding ill real hip hop to listen to. I do have a problem finding an outlet that displays that diversity.

I currently have a mix cd in my car that includes a 6-track sequence that includes tracks by:

Kanye West
Mistah Fab
Aesop Rock
UGK
Sean Price
50 Cent

There is no radio or music television outlet that would dare play music by all these artists and that's the problem with Hip Hop. We're utilizing outlets that depict our culture as one dimensional.

We need an outlet that is going to celebrate Hip Hop's diversity. Everything has it's place.

Supporting artists is big. Bottom line is that major labels are a business so they'll only push what makes that $$$$. If you like an artist....buy their shit.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
For my part Im making positive hiphop (except for that poopoobane song which is more popular than ever ironically) by only working with positive artists..

Im with you tho there G!
And Myth you make a great point , Once upon a time radio would have played all that together though..

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Everbody, let's look at the current state of hip-hop: album sales decline, criticism of its degratory lyrics against women, violence, the use of explicit lyrics, its use of "video hos" in its music videos, snap-mania(u know what I mean) and there is so much more that I can't even type about. You might say that we need a new direction for hip-hop to move forward with. Some say alternative rap is the key, yet it has gained no mainstream attention; some say it is the South's fault for creating dumbdown music.
I say this: music is music. It doesn't hurt to hear music to dance to, but the problem is there is not a positive side of it in the mainstream. It seems that "real" hip-hop don't seems to educate people in a musical way expecially in Africn-American communities. What we need is a balance between the many different subgenres of hip-hop and start by buying the artists' albums and support them 100%. NO BULLSHIT!!!
We must preserve what's ours; it doesn't matter what race you are. We are the only one to change the state of hip-hop, not those fucking rich muthafuckas that run the music industry. We are HIP-HOP, there's
NOT!!!!!!
cats just need to get back to doin' themselves instead of doing what they think others will want to hear. people are multifaceted, so i'm sure people want to hear a variety of styles. people complain about mainstream music when, we must admit, there's alot of wack underground/under-exposed music also that deservese just as much criticism. for every "get rich quick" artist on the radio, there's several suppose to be "keep it real/thug" rapper (not emcee) who's doing just as much damage to the music. (if you claim to represent the culture i'm apart of, they i'm going to critize you and scrutinize your work). the door swings both ways. cats need to get back to being concerned with the music being good or not. give me variety and quality and i'm good.

the road to diversified hip hop music of quality, is gonna be a long, hard one. let's see who has the staying power.

members online