Hip-Hop Drum Theory

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As we have all talked about, having a background in playing music, chords, theory, ect. makes a big difference. However, I know almost nothing about drum theory. I am sure someone has broken down hip-hop drum theory specifically. There has to be general rules that apply for something to sound like its hip-hop. Those rules are always getting broken to make something hot, but there has to be a basis. It’s something that I can hear and feel when I program, but I don't know the technicalities behind it. Any thoughts or resources?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hey man look I need to find the post I had but drums and bass are the 2 most important things in Hip Hop....melody also....but your drums need to stand out and have their own personality man, you need to do some listening to some old drum breaks, old drummers etc...., since I play it seem to be 2nd nature for my patterns to just be on point for the most part because its not any rocket science or some in depth theories for hip hop involved for the most part but if you dont know anything about drums you can still lay down some simple patterns to start and then get a little more complex with changeups......I would suggest the first thing you do is find a dope song and have it playing and just start playing along with it and if you you have a piece of sw or hw then tap in the tempo and go......the main thing is think of your drumming being human, it has velocity it has swing it isnt always dead on time but at least about 98% LOL, study not only the snare and the kick in reference to placement in your pattern but also check out the high hat(opening and closing) try and emulate a real drummer with your pattern....note rolls and cymbal crashes too where they need to fall....the hi hats should more than likely be accenting on the downstroke of the snare or if in an offbeat pattern ......now Wings posted something up I think not too long ago about drumming in General I believe, a lot of the theories appeared to apply to a live drummer but you can still take that far....check these basic patterns out....

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/sc1/2.asp

also if you have a piece of software like Cakewalk, cubase or sonar........they have some drumtrax and midi programs that come with them you can dissect.......also you can import a midi file from a song that is out a lot of times and then separate the drum track.......there are a ton of tips on the net pertaining to drum patterns man.......but main thing just get rhythmical and pick up some beats using your ears and then take it from there and as always build.....

ill o.g.
Shwaz said:
As we have all talked about, having a background in playing music, chords, theory, ect. makes a big difference. However, I know almost nothing about drum theory. I am sure someone has broken down hip-hop drum theory specifically. There has to be general rules that apply for something to sound like its hip-hop. Those rules are always getting broken to make something hot, but there has to be a basis. It’s something that I can hear and feel when I program, but I don't know the technicalities behind it. Any thoughts or resources?
you font need to know the technicalities of it...knowing too much can be a bad thing.

members online