Hip Hop software

Rob-Les

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What sequencing software program do you think is best to use (or was truly made) for hip hop beats?

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
It have alot out there dudu.U can use the one I use,FL Studio(Fruity Loops) 4

nasir jones

The Perfectionist!!
ill o.g.
HIP HOP E-JAY 4!!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
How come there's such a thing as " hiphop software " ? As to all noobs I must say that's only a few dedicated programs, Cubase or Logic. Them being the most accounted for when talking credibility and all round purpose platforms.

Than there are the utility programs such as FL, Reason, Renoise all pretty much depending on the emulation they offer and their specific adaptivity in order to be fruitfull in other environments such items like Rewire, or the ability to runn FL as a VST on the commonly used platforms. You can also consider the usage of programs depending on proggy features, FL for example has more of a remix utility, people that used to be doing multitrackers will find this convenient to produce/remix with. Reason on the other hand is not my pick to remix with, it's mainly fixed VSTi instruments covering on what's needed to produce an overall of tracks and a sequencer, so it's purpose lies more towards composing a track with the instruments in this program.

But none is dedicated to hiphop specificly, if it would state to be " hiphop", than it probably offers a sample library with typical cheesy samples or it features buttons/backgrounds in the GUI that appeal to the hiphop audience (for some reason). If you wanna gamble, your best bet is with on of the first 2 programs, accompanied by the one of the second, I use Fl and Reason in conjunction with Logic, though Reason gonna be out and will be replaced by emagic's exs24 ( reads all formats, ez! ).

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My guy got a guy that stay in his hood that uses this program called "hiphop music generator" I never seen it or touched it but I heard some shit that was made w/ it and it was pretty hot.

I think I saw something on the web about a hiphop addition of Acid pro but then again I never touched it soooooooo.....

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
if your a hip hop head it don't matter what program you use look at 9th wonder his beatz are sick it really don't matter what you use as long as you use it right

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Good one lilhatedon.

I got u a nickname now,...G2

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
its the music in you my man, what you use is just an extension, a medium to get whats inside ya head out to the world, but if i am gonna suggest not the best but most efficient - it would be fl studio formerly fruityloops.
why
1. cheap
2. damn easy to use, and its delicate on your computer system,
you dont have to have a sytem that cost a $1000 or more.
not only that its delicate on your mind - the design of the thing is laid back and "simple"
trust me i have reason and my 500 mhz 192 mbs ram computer - is not even enough to get the damn thing started up.
Fl STUDIO features all ya need and a bag of chips - the only downturn is that you'll be programming your drumloops to a set time, for example
you have to set the beats per minute, unlike a drum machine where the tempo is determined by how and when ya hit the buttons,
but if you take time and study bpm timing like for example, "try again" is done around 93 bpm, so i know if i wanted to duplicate a beat to that same feel i'd set to 93, r n b maybe a round 70 bpm, west coast you're lookin hmm 110, and then theres the midi input my fave, plug in your midi capable keyboard and you can record your melodies live or record your notes to the piano roll,
then once you got the notes recorded you can copy n paste them to vst n dxi plugin instruments,
and oh yeah soundfonts, fruity got a soundfont player - get yourself a set of these - oh by the way i have 7 cd set for sale if any one wants to buy - and you good you'll be able to get pianos, string, basses, guitars - too much to name,
oh boy i think i am bragging too much, hope i helped make things easier

dae_rawk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i use Acid pro 4.0 it's the best imo for looping...and the vast majority of hip hop beats are about loops so...

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
hey Krzy K,

my main issue with fruity loops is getting quality percussion sounds. What's bundled isn't that clear. So Im guessing I need to use a VST to create the drum for the production, instead of recording a copy of an exsisting drum sample. Although if i had some seriously realistic samples that had some depth i could get what i'm looking for. I've had a rough time using any VST to create anything. If you use VST's let me know where i can find some tutorials. And about that 7 cd set of instrument samples... tell me more about that :)

--Mike A

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Chrono
hey Krzy K,

my main issue with fruity loops is getting quality percussion sounds. What's bundled isn't that clear. So Im guessing I need to use a VST to create the drum for the production, instead of recording a copy of an exsisting drum sample. Although if i had some seriously realistic samples that had some depth i could get what i'm looking for. I've had a rough time using any VST to create anything. If you use VST's let me know where i can find some tutorials. And about that 7 cd set of instrument samples... tell me more about that :)

--Mike A

Hey Chrono,

We got a topic on sounds you might wanna check that out:
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360&highlight=sound

There is also a topic on vst's:
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3529&highlight=vst

Also check out the rest of the production forum for usefull tips, tricks and knowledge.
In the showcase you can display your tunes and get usefull feedback and also feedback others so they can learn something of your point of view on producing.

All in all i would say, keep your ear to the music and keep diggin for rare samples to chop up!

mrjermaine

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Definitely try FL Studio.
I use FL Studio, Cool Edit Pro 2, and a FREE program called Soundplant 26.1. you can play chopped up drums, samples on your keyboard (the one I'm typing on) and record in say, cool edit. It's NICE.
go to http://www.soundplant.org and download it. You can read all the many options it has and it doen't take up many resources on your computer.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
FL Studio (producer Edition) I'd go with that if you want everything in one package and are hellbent or moneystrapped and don't want to fugg with hardware.....but the key to your beats are the sequencing, samples and imagination....NOT Software or Hardware you are using even though the use of one of the other might be a factor in the quality of the finished product....a sequencer can make any kind of music....so it's up to you the producer decide what kind of beats you want to make....

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hEY chrono sorry i took so long to reply, about vst's i suggest you leave them joints alone, they're more for like disco - and i doubt you'll find true great sounds out of them - you can but all that tweaking and adding effects is a pain in the backside and they're just plain time consuming,
what comes with fl studio is all you'll need. the fl keys in fruityloops will give some great piano sounds specially if compose your melody with chords, it has fl slayer a guitar synth - dx 10 an fm synth, simsynth live <- love this. and it also has a speech synthesizer and one bad ass vocoder plugin, dont know what a vocoder is? think - california knows how to party, in the city, city of compton, yup vocoders give you that sound to voice. But there's one thing you can never truly get from no vst's is ya kicks, snare, hi hats, shakers - these ma man i suggest ya get acid 4.0 and chop them out of tracks, or my complete suggestion banginbeats.com - i think its like $10 a kit - i suggest every $10 you can spend you buy a kit and put together a great library. I've never been disappointed by the kits they have - like butta baby. And the ultimate complete thing that you got to get is the soundfont player in fl studio cuz it comes with a demo and you wont be able to save - i think it cost like $30. But this is all you'll need beside the drum kits from bangin beats, soundfonts are like a major collection of sounds spread across the keyboard and compressed to one file called .sf2. So let me clarify, lets say i get a korg- and i want to create a .sf2 right. I record each sample from the korg, so say i record an octave each, c5, d5, e5, etc. Then with the available free software i record each sample the exact way i did from the korg, so i would record the c5 sample, to trigger when i press the c5 key and so on and so forth, so the sound you get from a .sf2 is realistic its not generated like a vst instrument. Soundfonts usually vary - you got soundfonts that are set to trigger drumploops, drumkits, piano, guitars, and many more - check out hammersound.net and you'll see that .sf2's are the way to go, you can click the Krzy Link below, go to my site at soundclick and listen to I Say Baby, every instrument in this track is .sf2. The 7 seven cd set that I am selling is only a convenience really you wont have to spend days, downloading cuz soundfonts are free, but if interested i am selling the set for $40 - shipping included to the us and canada email me if interested. Hope I hELPED

Oh I forgot to mention a couple things about the trouble with percussion, first - the default samples are garbage, they don't sound good when you play them back in a cd player and the sounds are very recognizable, if you use them everyone's gonna say "oh you using fruityloops" and you dont want that, makes you feel cheap and doesn't go well with the self - esteem. The kits from banginbeats should solve the problem oh and you should check out beatsbymail.com - register with them for like $1 a week and they send you a zip file to ya email each week with about two or three kits - this is also butta too. But if these kits doesn't soothe your needs, there's an article i think its in illmuzik.com not sure but do a search, its on mastering where you learn about each frequency on a equalizer and what they do to sound, when ya building ya beat make sure you separate each sample into categories across the fx panel, bass should have its own, snare its own, hi hats its own, and so on.... And for each fruity has a parametric eq <- my favorite tool mad complicated, but if ya read that article and know it like the bible, that parametric eq is so powerful - its guaranteed to shape any sound you send to it, to master quality, but you gotta know ya frequencies though dawg, so, search for that article study it well or experimenting also works. And then theres bass boost plugin this is real good once you tweak your kicks/bass with parametric eq, this plugin is good for "rounding" the bass and give that rumble that makes the head bop.
hope i helped
anything else you need my advice on, just ask away