Hiphop Production/Promotion in the UK

Jason7564

ill o.g.
Ok, I'm gonna start this by sayin when I was at school I got taught for any business to work u gotta have the 4 P's.... Product, Promotion, Price n Place (lol i kno it's patrinising.. or was to me neway). So yea as for me I'm soon gonna have the product, promotion n price (hopefully with some help) no problem, but DAM ITS SO HARD TO FIND GOOD ARTISTS IN THE UK... it seems from what I've experienced so far, everyone wants everything for free and generally I can't think of one famous artist from the UK that I actually like (if ne1 knows somebody from the UK thats got talent then jus get at me on the PM.. I kno there's a producer on here from the UK I've seen I'll have to check that dude out but yea)... and also the artists here (in the UK) don't like the type of product I'm offering lol, they prefer their own version of hip hop also known as "garage" which I personally think sucks *ahem*..........

So yea the question is: How would I go about promoting myself in the US, and make sure that the ppl I'm relying on rn't just taking my money and not doing what I've asked them to do.... for example let's say I met a few artists from all over america and I wanted to do a mixtape with just 1... Would I have to get them to pay me before I gave them all the beats and they released it etc, and how would I make sure I get credit for what they're selling... (like I'd want a lil booklet in each mixtape with a few links for promotion of my website and pictures etc).

So yea that's all... how would I promote myself in america (being 16 years old from the UK)... I'm not planning on doing nething soon, but I'm learning now, so when I finish college I can get straight to work... Right now I'm still working on getting better at actually finishing off beats and mastering them etc... makin them sound proffesional, but that's a whole different thing, so yea just general feedback on how to get exposure in america when living in the UK lol... oh and plz lol don't say GET SOME BEATS UP N A MYSPACE PAGE.... it's all coming.. soon like I said I gotta get some real good beats together proffesional 1st... maybe I'm being ambitious, but what I learn now I can use in the future, so yea FEEDBACK PPL PLZ...

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
my advice is too do as much as possible in your own region before trying to get over the ocean, it will be a good learning process, workin with local artist and getting your name in the game, it will be the fundament for feature endavours.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
The HANDS DOWN BEST artist in the UK is Stig of the Dump....
I got a link to him in the myspace link below... He's over in my top friends section.Cuz is the shit...
Bought the EP and everything and Ill prolly review the thing here in a hot sec...
If you are wanting to do collabs there are plenty of artists here including myself who like to do stuf and you can PM me...

Far as free, everybody wants it free..
Even from the big boys people want it free, downloading etc....Unfortunately you have to give away ALOT free until you can get people to pay for it...
Like I say Im in the States and would love to do work with some UK guys so holla..

Jason7564

ill o.g.
Relic

No hate to that guy, he even said it himself... he's a homeless drunk. I'm not lookin to work with homeless ppl or drunks (there could be an exception lol but not this time), they gotta be proffesional lol I'm lookin to work with ppl I can get along with.... if that's the best the UK has to offer u just prooved my point about UK artists. Ok his rhymes might be nice if u listen to each line, but who wants to listen to each line if it sounds shit... to me it seems the only ppl that r gonna buy any music from UK artists is ppl from the UK n that's really not what I want... when I listend to his music I didn't want to listen to it I wanted to switch it the fuk off lol just cuz of his voice... I'm sorry idk y but the UK just isn't in me I've always hated this place n always will... Hopefully I'll actually get my ass into the states by the time im 20 n then the problem will be solved i supose.. but until then my ass is stuck here.........

O

open mind

leave cds in barbershops or nailstudios to get good promo.iam serious.

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
You need to change your attitude, I mean i can definitely understand where your coming from, but your not going to always have the luxury of picking and choosing who you work with. And you should also remember there are different ways to work with people.

Who do you like the sound of in general??

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
We spoke before, but anyhow, like someone mentioned already, a good idea would be to make noise in your region first. make noise in the uk, then maybe the states will hear, if not, you are still well off. The other option i see is actually moving to the states and doing your grind, if you really want to make noise directly there.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
switch it the fuk off lol just cuz of his voice... I'm sorry idk y but the UK just isn't in me I've always hated this place n always will... Hopefully I'll actually get my ass into the states by the time im 20 n then the problem will be solved i supose.. but until then my ass is stuck here.........

Dude u gotta start by having more pride in ur culture etc...

I mean if u cant make it in your own country/hood how do you expect to make it over here.

First thing i would do try and find some pride in your country/culture etc...hit the ground running in ur local beat makin scene... if anything you have WAYYY more opperunitity in the UK then the states becasue the market is so small... and the level of competition is ALOT lower(no disrespect)... The UK market is wide open man, its all on how u look at it

Also dont count on getting over here so easily espically with work visa's etc...

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
haha relic stig, LOL the original geordie OG, nah i like him, stiggy smalls.....there loads of good UK peeps, me especially, haha, nah im serious....there are loads of thread on this site bout UKHH, championed by me and Precog, (shamless plug time - check our collab album "CHILDISH GAMBINO" with East London emcee, Acuity (hes a doctor tho, so its taking time...)

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
The problem I have found is a lot of these guys ain't serious about the craft, they just play with music, there is not enough dedication. Personal I believe this industry is about dedication to your craft any, no one wants to let us in, the media hates UK rap acts because of the violence that surrounds the grime and hip hop scene.

Anyway just my thoughts.

~NW~

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
^It was the best of times it was the worst of times....
lol
For me its a matter of the accent..If UK rapper sounds like a pussy when hes rappin, then no matter what he says Im not gonna like it.Also if I cant understand what he is sayin then Im not gonna like it.
Id like more exposure to UK hiphop tho because I think that there may be alot of talent over there just unable to break out...
But again this is why I like Stig.He sounds like he'll rip your head off when he raps and I can understand what hes sayin..Hes got a gimmick...And a funnyass sense of humour.
I mean please if yall think he sux or somthin point me in the right directon of who's slammin..Cuz Asher D aint shit and Stig ate his ass up publicly.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yes yes relic mate, check more of me soon at www.myspace.com/deadpanclan, new crew, got the beats just waiting to go to the studio, to record spits, as for UK emcees I Rate....

Jehst
Foreign Beggars
Dr.Syntax
Taskforce
Skitz
Klashnekoff
Kyza
Wordsmith
CAPPO <-------------the don!
The Producers
The P Brothers
Karizma
Stig
Kashmere

the list goes on try and fing em on myspace you wont be disappointed....

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
on a diff noite how you got over 2000 post anbd you only been on here a year, i aint even got 1000 and im coming up to 4, although i did lose like 5oo posts a while back...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Good lookin out on the heads up for those artists.

lol, dude Im at work and Im bored trying to ignore heinous crap in front of me so being chatty here is both a distraction and therapy..lol..This is my only connect to hiphop when Im surounded by BS..
Besides Ive learned alot off of here and am now past addiction and well into assimilation.