Hobby or Profession?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Do you do this as a hobby or is making music your profession? Or are you trying to turn your hobby into a profession?

Everyone has to pay the bills and nowadays everything is very expensive, but working a regular 9-5 seems to be the old model of work. What do you think?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I have went back and forth, I was a full time touring musician for like 5 years and supplemented my income giving lessons. Then got a "real" job for a few years, then went and did consulting for the music industry, then self employed sold that business and am building a soundware company while work on Drunk Pedestrians. It seems I am pretty close to full time music again but my income needs are WAY higher than they had been when I was touring.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Its an hobby for me and I dont have the time or drive to try to atleast make a little money. Theres been moments I wanted to sale all my equipment and quit because it seems pointless at times, but I cant escape it.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Im inbetween. Im integral to other peoples workings so they are starting to compensate me..
Im starting to get to the point that I cant keep up with musician hours while working the regular job.
I go back and forth though. This is an expensive fuckin hobby though I can tell you that !

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Im starting to get to the point that I cant keep up with musician hours while working the regular job.
I go back and forth though. This is an expensive fuckin hobby though I can tell you that !
would offer to help out, but i'm a flake. lol.

and as far as it being an expensive hobby goes...hell yeah! especially when you want every new piece of gear that you see.

Frankie Perez

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 3
My profession is fixing computers and electronic hardware such as cell phones, radios, ps3, xbox360, mixers and turntables etc...
my hobbies are making music, burning movies , playing pool and basketball, i would like to sell some beats but there is so much competition and so much hard work of making a track from scratch or finding the right sample that sometimes that hard work does not pay off and sometimes theres no acknowledgement to what some producers make and it can be frustrating to try to stay on top of the game and that's why as a contracted profession its difficult but every now and then to make a few hundred bucks from selling beats would be nice.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
A lot of folks who used to work in the industry and made money off music have been discarded due to the re-haul of the entire music industry, where record companies are essentially glorified marketing companies. In this new era, it's about creating a fanbase that will continue to buy from you.

I think the most realistic way of making this into a profession is to:

1) Have only one job
2) Have no responsibilities other than rent and work. This means, no wife or children or anything else that costs you overhead in money and time.
3) Have a disciplined schedule that you adhere to everyday before and after work ONLY dedicated to music production.

The key when you have a job and you're trying to produce is time commitment. The more you can take off the table in regards to other responsibilities, the more you have free to do what you want. If you want to make it in music, this is the only way I see that truly works while having a stupid job that pays the bills.

Also:

1) Set a revenue target for your music. How much do you need to make to survive and pay the bills on JUST MUSIC? Are you okay with $50K/year? $30K/year? Or are you one of the folks who make $100K+ and are willing to take a pay cut and suffer a bit in lifestyle in order to do what you love?

I think that's important to note as well.

I would take it seriously, but if you're just looking at it as a hobby, don't take it too seriously. You need to be laser-focused if you want to succeed and you need to sustain that passion for the long haul. Most folks can't do that.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I really cant say either. For me it is what it is. Tho I'm leaning more to profession because I'm focusing more on my independent projects and artist, so for me to say its a hobby would be kind of a slap in the face to those who I work with whom are serious. Video games and "geek" shit are a hobbies for me at least.

members online